Trip to Merida/Dzibilchaltun

terryde

We haven't heard much lately about Progreso/Merida, but are very excited to visit this area. We want to take a full day trip, first to Merida to spend 2 hours walking about, then on to Dzibilchaltun to visit the ruins, then back to Progreso. Do we need a cab to do that? Would a bus system be practical or would we be wasting precious time? What might the price be for a cab for that trip (there are only two of us).

Terryde. This page should help you. It's from http://www.yucatantoday.com

http://yucatantoday.com/eng-transportation.htm

I've always used the bus. A taxi may save you 10-15 minutes from Progreso to Merida. I prefer the bus and it's a whole lot cheaper. From the plaza in Progreso $7 or $8 RT. From the bus terminal $3 RT. When you exit the termnal on Calle 62 in Merida, turn right and walk 3 blocks to the central plaza. Very easy. Time for bus is 30-40 minutes for the 21 mile trip. Merida is a beautiful, safe and clean city of 900,000.

Thanks, I have read posts from you before, and you emailed me some great pictures! We are really looking forward to Merida. But our question is whether we can take a bus from our port in Progreso to Merida, then from Merida to Dzilbuchaltun, then back to Progreso in a timely manner - we are in port from 7:30 to 3:00 ship time. Does it seem possible to do? Thanks again for all of your help.

I think it's possibe to bus to Merida and then get a cab to the ruins and then back to Progreso. On the page about taxis, there is an explanation about going to the taxi pickup points as the taxis doen't usually roam looking for fares. I said usually; doesn't mean never. Glad you enjoyed the pictures.

Archived