Skagway - Train or Rental Car?

gymjudge55

I've never taken the train, but I did rent a car in Skagway and loved driving to Emerald Lake and back. I liked the freedom to stop when and where we wanted to stop. Murray's Guide was great at pointing out places of interest. You should do the trip with another person so someone can read along as you drive. I picked out several stops in advance, but my partner also saw things that interested him in the guide so we stopped a couple of times more than I had planned.

I agree. We rented a car. It was the best thing we could have done. It was a great experience. We stopped everywhere we wanted. Around every corner was a "picture". It was nice to go at our own pace. We also used Murray's guide, which was helpful.

We have friends that rented a car once and took the train once. They recommended the car.

We have friends that rented a car once and took the train once. They recommended the car.

We did the train to Carcross with mini-bus back down. I highly recommend it at least once because you do see some different and very stunning scenery from the train that you miss from the highway. If we go to Skagway again, we will likely rent a car, but mainly to save money, not because we did not enjoy the train. Either is a great trip. You can't go wrong.

Archived