The one negative to cruises

mitsguy2001

To the OP - While I appreciate your concerns, I don't fully understand how a land vacation would provide that much more flexibility, unless it's one you're driving to. If you need to change/cancel airfare, there are penalties involved and most vacation packages have cancellation penalties. Unless you're just planning to drive somewhere, rent a hotel room and take in the local sites, most any other vacation plans would carry some time of loss if you were to cancel.

you can purchase airfare that is fully refundable. Southwest airlines doesn't even require a change fee for changing flights.

most hotels and rental cars allow you to cancel up until that day or most require a 24 hour notice.

So yes, there is wayyyy more flexibility in a land vacation than a cruise for the most part.

The worse part about cruising? For me is the fact that we give up soooo many rights just to be on that darn ship. Don't get me wrong, I love cruising! But we have no rights to protect us-the consumer. That's what I hate most about cruising.

At least when you fly somewhere, they have to get ya to the destination you booked. A cruise can take you anywhere they want for any reason they want even if you booked a cruise out of one port they can return you to another. No, I don't need to hear all your snarky comments about safety. Of course diverting for safety is expected...but just remember that the next time your flight is diverted. If you booked to fly from New York to Las Vegas, but there were storms on the ground so they flew to Chicago. Would you like to spend a week in Chicago or would you expect the airlines to fly you on the Vegas when the storm cleared? Cruiseline can just dump you in Chicago (if that was possible) and you would have to find your own way home.

The worse part about cruising? For me is the fact that we give up soooo many rights just to be on that darn ship. Don't get me wrong, I love cruising! But we have no rights to protect us-the consumer. That's what I hate most about cruising.

At least when you fly somewhere, they have to get ya to the destination you booked. A cruise can take you anywhere they want for any reason they want even if you booked a cruise out of one port they can return you to another. No, I don't need to hear all your snarky comments about safety. Of course diverting for safety is expected...but just remember that the next time your flight is diverted. If you booked to fly from New York to Las Vegas, but there were storms on the ground so they flew to Chicago. Would you like to spend a week in Chicago or would you expect the airlines to fly you on the Vegas when the storm cleared? Cruiseline can just dump you in Chicago (if that was possible) and you would have to find your own way home.

I absolutely agree with you, and have posted on that topic several times on this board, but, unfortunately, I tend to get flamed by the cheerleaders. By signing the contract, I am NOT really agreeing with it, but rather willing to take the risk that such a scenario will not happen.

I don't understand? I ALWAYS make sure I have time off work before I book my cruise. Once the time is approved I go ahead and book. EVEN IF they approved it and I booked it and then they wanted to me to come into work on one of the days I had off because of something- I'd say no. My work has never done this before because they know I'm cruising and I won't be available.

I couldn't imagine working at a place that would make you come in even though you booked your holidays- yuck!

I don't understand? I ALWAYS make sure I have time off work before I book my cruise. Once the time is approved I go ahead and book. EVEN IF they approved it and I booked it and then they wanted to me to come into work on one of the days I had off because of something- I'd say no. My work has never done this before because they know I'm cruising and I won't be available.

I couldn't imagine working at a place that would make you come in even though you booked your holidays- yuck!

What do you not understand? First of all, unfortunately, in the private sector in the US, it is standard practice that an employer can revoke approved vacation time at any time. Secondly, even if they do not explicitly ask you to cancel your vacation (which they did not do in my case), I will be at a serious disadvantage compared to my colleagues who just cheerfully cancel their vacation without being asked to do so when things get busy at work.

The main negative for me is having to get off the ship and return to my normal life. I love having someone else do the cleaning and cooking. I'm very blessed in that I work at a college and mainly schedule cruises during a time we are out for a break or holiday.

Ahh i was just being a smart a**. I was in a group that had port side coves 2260 - 2280. I actually enjoyed your review btw. 2 counter points - Sushi bar opened at 5:30 and was always busy.. atleast right at 5:30 :) I had heard others talking about how fun the piano bar was so i was determined to check out the hype this time.. eveytime i went by there.. 10-15 people tops.. didnt look real fun ??

This is one reason I like cruises. I tell everyone far in advance I am going, I will not reschedule for anything work related. To many company's today treat their employees like they own them. I was a workaholic for alot of years, letting employers run my life. Then an event happened in our life that reminded me life was to short.

Kudos for you!

I am same way. For due to a life event that happened... I now buy travel insurance on EVERY cruise!

Ahh i was just being a smart a**. I was in a group that had port side coves 2260 - 2280. I actually enjoyed your review btw. 2 counter points - Sushi bar opened at 5:30 and was always busy.. atleast right at 5:30 :)

I don't think I was ever in that area at 5:30, so that might explain it.

I had heard others talking about how fun the piano bar was so i was determined to check out the hype this time.. eveytime i went by there.. 10-15 people tops.. didnt look real fun ??

I wonder if you saw me there.

The only negative I see about cruising is the posibility of being sea sick, and if you're on a cruise where the first two days are sea days. You may become a tad bit BORED

I was not bored at all with 2 sea days on the Magic. The Magic has so much to do. I wonder if I would have been bored on a smaller ship with fewer activities with 2 sea days.

Basic supply and demand = book early to get your room choice.

My point is that if you book early, they block certain popular categories (such as 6M, and now 7C) in order to push the less popular categories (such as 6A and 8A).

And, I was dizzy for 4 days after the cruise.

I wonder why that was.

Archived