Pics and video underwater - suggestions?

GrUvGrL

I have been considering options for underwater pics and video besides the obvious... buying a underwater camera.

I have 2 VERY good cameras that really are not ready for replacement so buying a camera even a $200 one is something I rather not consider. Or consider as a very last option.

There is the option of just purchasing a waterproof disposable - but you get pics no video

I was considering a water proof housing case for my current good camera, however at a cost of over $300 I would be better of just buying a cheap waterproof camera.

I have come across a waterproof case for a Iphone... 'aquabox' cost is anywhere between $35 to $70 depending on where you buy from and there are similar cases for Iphone (which to be honest... I would be very content with lessor quality photos from my Iphone for my underwater experience)

Was wondering if anyone has any better suggestions or any experience with the aqua box or any similar devices to waterproof a Iphone and how these devices worked for you... would be really crappy to ruin my Iphone and have to replace it.

Thanks!

I have been considering options for underwater pics and video besides the obvious... buying a underwater camera.

I have 2 VERY good cameras that really are not ready for replacement so buying a camera even a $200 one is something I rather not consider. Or consider as a very last option.

There is the option of just purchasing a waterproof disposable - but you get pics no video

I was considering a water proof housing case for my current good camera, however at a cost of over $300 I would be better of just buying a cheap waterproof camera.

I have come across a waterproof case for a Iphone... 'aquabox' cost is anywhere between $35 to $70 depending on where you buy from and there are similar cases for Iphone (which to be honest... I would be very content with lessor quality photos from my Iphone for my underwater experience)

Was wondering if anyone has any better suggestions or any experience with the aqua box or any similar devices to waterproof a Iphone and how these devices worked for you... would be really crappy to ruin my Iphone and have to replace it.

Thanks!

The video below was shot with a Flip HD Ultra ($83 online + Ikelite case $60 - $80).

I bought a refurbished Kodak Easyshare Sport C123 Digital Camera from Amazon for our trip and I am so glad I did. It was cheap, like $65 with shipping, and took such great pictures. And we could have it in the water no worries. Took it on the cave tubing, no worries. And it took great picture out of water too. I can't get a picture to upload right now. I can try later if you want to see one.

I am begining to think that for the cost of 2 waterproof disposables I could buy a cheap waterproof digital camera I can reuse on future underwater adventures and it'll do video! I just checked amazon for Kodak Easyshare Sport C123 - none available but coleman makes a waterproof camera for 80 bucks!

Anyone know anything about these colemans?

The video below was shot with a Flip HD Ultra ($83 online + Ikelite case $60 - $80).

Most of the flips and cases I came across online are much more expensive... you may have lucked out on them prices!:cool:

In May, I bought a Kodak PlaySport (Zx5) HD Waterproof Camera of off Amazon. Tried it when I got home, it didn't leak at all.

When I used it on my excursion, I had it on 'underwater' settings, and mistakenly put it on black and white. It takes very good pictures, though. I like the fact it takes an SD card.

Melanie

Thanks Melanie! :) Always great to have a first hand review.

Been looking at waterproof digitals ourselves. Coleman reviews were bad, lots of leakage apparently.

We might try a Kodak Playsport Zx3 or Zx5. Been seeing good reviews so far. And both are listing under $100 on Amazon so far.

We bought my son a Kodak PlaySport Zx3 about 2 years ago. I can't recommend it enough, it cost about £70 (probably cheaper in the US and 2 years on) and the HD quality of the underwater video is stunning. It's also pretty tough, we've taken it down water slides with no problems. It's great for snorkelling as well.

If it cost twice as much it would still be a great buy. I think the Zx5 has now replaced it.

And no, I don't work for Kodak. :p

I take tons of video when I go snorkeling on my cruises. I use my Flip in an AquaPac. It works well, is not too expensive and is guaranteed. You could get an AquaPac and put whatever small camera you want in it.

I did look up the AquaPac for my cameras, which are far from small... (both are pretty big cameras and would not fit into the AquaPac) - and each expensive enough I do not want to chance looking for a bigger sized aquapac.

That was really where I was conflicted... I mean if I have to purchase a smaller camera to use a AquaPac, would it not be better to just purchase a smaller camera which is waterproof? I looked up the flips and they seem to be almost a couple hundred dollars, factor in the cost of the AquaPac, I am where I dont wanna be price wise.

BUT - I will say this... the first person to post to this thread after me had a video he posted with his flip and I thought it worked great!

We bought my son a Kodak PlaySport Zx3 about 2 years ago. I can't recommend it enough, it cost about £70 (probably cheaper in the US and 2 years on) and the HD quality of the underwater video is stunning. It's also pretty tough, we've taken it down water slides with no problems. It's great for snorkelling as well.

If it cost twice as much it would still be a great buy. I think the Zx5 has now replaced it.

And no, I don't work for Kodak. :p

Thank you! I think I will be checking this out!! Seems like quite a few people are suggesting this one and if the price is right one of these lucky cameras may find a new home... in my backpack!

Used to use a dica-pak on my digicam - took marginal pix at best

Kodak gets a lot of favorable reviews but just be aware that they have left the digi-cam business during restructuring so warranty/service may be iffy.....

If you do get to your "last option", I would recommend the Canon D10. Now that the D20 is out, the D10 has been discounted. Shows $250 on Amazon, but it seems I have seen others post having seen it closer to $200. I've used it for several years with good luck on pics and video (non-HD video).

When filming underwater you may want to consider an underwater filter.

They come in various shades of red depending on your dive depth.

This counters the natural blue hue of the water.

Many UW digicams have an underwater mode that compensates for the blue

I love love love my Kodak playsport. I've had it for about two years, and I take it everywhere we go. It has been to (and survived beautifully) DC (where it got dropped in a public toilet....ewwww :o), New York (where we were caught in pouring down rain), Disney, Great Wolf Lodge (trying to film the Howlin' Tornado made me fall off the raft :rolleyes:), several beaches, a nearby small waterpark with slides, many birthday parties.....and so on. This Thursday we will be taking it with us to Florida and to cruise on the Legend next week :D.

I've had no problems with it leaking, and there are several other benefits: it fits in a pocket, it's sturdy and can take being dropped, it's easy to charge and easy to use, it's easy to switch from camcorder to digital camera, and it comes with a free movie making program that is very easy to use as well (and that can include media from other sources, if you have another video or digital camera and want to mix in stuff from there). I have made birthday videos for my kids and niece and nephew, and I made a great movie from our last Disney trip (I'd love to show it off, but I attached copyrighted music to it so I can't upload it to Youtube :cool:).

There are a few drawbacks, most notably the zoom (not smooth) and it is so light it is hard to hold still while recording. I've been very happy nonetheless and wouldn't hesitate to suggest it for someone else.

Oh, and I also do not work for Kodak. I'm a teacher (who used her Kodak Playsport to record class for National Board renewal as well :)).

We bought an Olympus TG-310 and have loved it. I'll post some underwater photos when I get home.

If you do purchase an underwater camera, read the directions. We had to put vaseline around the outside lining of the camera/battery section to seal it.

When we bought ours, we caught it on sale at Best Buy and got it for $100 new w/ accessories. They have some refurbished ones for that amount now.

I too just purchased an Olympic Tough 820 and took it on our cruise last week.

LOVE IT!

It took some amazing pics and vids underwater. We'll worth the money spent.

I got it on sale at Best Buy for about $269 plus I bought the 32 gig sd card and the floating camera strap for $21. The $21 floating camera strap is money well spent.

Archived