Beach day in Bahamas?

hmm33502

Which port...and which beach would be best for a beach day? I'm going in November, so I'm not too worried about crowds. I just want beautiful sand, clear water, restroom and food/drink access. We were thinking grand Lucayan in Freeport???

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!!

Heather

Well, "best" is pretty subjective.

There are many threads here about the various beaches in Nassau and the resorts where you can buy a day pass.

Freeport takes a little more effort to get to the beaches because you dock in an industrial port area.

I'll be on a B2B that stops in Nassau twice. The first time, there will be several ships in port and I'm solo, so I plan on going to the British Colonial Hilton. The next week, when there will be four of us and fewer cruise passengers in port, we'll probably walk down to Junkanoo, the free beach.

Again, lots of threads about both. I just read a Carnival Fantasy review where the family took the shuttle in Freeport to the Lucaya area and then walked to the free beach there. There's also a Junkanoo Beach in Freeport. Don't know if that's the free beach or not. I was going to do a beach day there, too, but decided to take an excursion.

If I can find the thread, I'll post the link. But you may just want to do some reading through some of the threads to see which sound like what you're looking for.

Which port...and which beach would be best for a beach day? I'm going in November, so I'm not too worried about crowds. I just want beautiful sand, clear water, restroom and food/drink access. We were thinking grand Lucayan in Freeport???

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!!

Heather

I won't be going to the Grand Lucayan Beach in Freeport, but we go on our cruise in less than 48 hours. I will also be visiting Freeport and Nassau and once I return, I'll share my experiences. In Freeport, I decided to use Paradise Cove (their website for more information). I get picked up from the port, driven to the "resort" for snorkeling and the beach (food can be included for an additional price). They return us to the ship (about a 4 hour tour total). In Nassau, we're taking a taxi tour of the island, but planning on either "beaching" at Junkaroo or Cable (Sheraton Hotel). Our cab driver will drop us off and pick us up at Cable should we decide to go there (Junkaroo is walking distance from the boat).

Anyway, that's our plan. Won't know how it goes until we actually "do" it in the next couple of days. Like I said, I'll share my experiences when I return.

I won't be going to the Grand Lucayan Beach in Freeport, but we go on our cruise in less than 48 hours. I will also be visiting Freeport and Nassau and once I return, I'll share my experiences. In Freeport, I decided to use Paradise Cove (their website for more information). I get picked up from the port, driven to the "resort" for snorkeling and the beach (food can be included for an additional price). They return us to the ship (about a 4 hour tour total). In Nassau, we're taking a taxi tour of the island, but planning on either "beaching" at Junkaroo or Cable (Sheraton Hotel). Our cab driver will drop us off and pick us up at Cable should we decide to go there (Junkaroo is walking distance from the boat).

Anyway, that's our plan. Won't know how it goes until we actually "do" it in the next couple of days. Like I said, I'll share my experiences when I return.

That should be Junkanoo Beach, not Junkaroo. Gee, I'm a teacher! I should know how to spell! Sorry for any confusion.

Thank you! Please let me know....I am open to just about anything! Can't wait to hear back from you. Enjoy your trip!

Heather

just got back yesterday from Freeport (July 30) and Nassau (July 31). In Freeport, I went to Paradise Cove. Arrangement was to be picked up at 11 AM and be returned to the vessel about 3 PM. My Carnival ship (Sensation) was scheduled to leave at 5 PM from Freeport. I arranged my excursion from Paradise Cove's website ($41 for adults with lunch or $35 without lunch). Not sure of the child's price (since we didn't take our children on this trip). Was picked up by Nathan about 15 minutes early. Everyone already there and we left. Got a flat tire on the way (it happens...) Very professional...he made sure that we took a taxi to Paradise Cove (we were probably 2-3 miles or so from our destination). Loss of time concerning the flat tire about 30 minutes total (but remember, we were picked up 15 minutes early, so only a 15 minute loss of "real" time). When we arrived, they said "sorry" and we were able to sign in and pay, get our equipment, listen to the short lecture about what NOT to touch and then left on our own to snorkle.

Paradise Cove is NOT a million dollar resort. If you want that, see the Atlantis in Nassau. It IS rustic. Restroom is fairly small, not neat, but fairly clean (I've seen bathrooms a LOT worse!). The equipment was fine; no problems with mine. Enjoyed the snorkling. You're pretty much "on your own" while snorkling. Someone does watch (from the shore), but not sure how much they pay attention. If you have children, watch them closely!!!

The food was ok; certainly nothing worth writing about. Hamburgers, hotdogs, chicken sandwiches (not chicken strips). Chips and a soft drink round out the "meal" portion of the pre-bought food. They do offer other food for a price (fries, conch fritters, etc). Again, food is ok, not "bad" really, but nothing special.

Cost was well worth the price. Snorkeling was nice. Rocks in the water was slippery (duh!). Go with water shoes (or flippers). Since there is no changing facilities, you need to go with your swimsuit under your clothes. BRING A TOWEL! You can rent them (but not sure of the cost or availability).

We were returned to the ship without any problem. Van was air conditioned (both ways, even in the flat tire one). Would I do this trip again? YES. Would I recommend it? YES! I doubt they get a flat tire with every tour. It happens. My wife and I enjoyed the tour along with others from our cruise that also went on this tour. If you're looking for something to do in Freeport besides shopping (which we didn't do there), and want to snorkel, try this place. I enjoyed it anyway. This is probably NOT the best beach place however. Your choice of Taino or Lucaya Beaches are the most popular.

For the record: the ship did NOT leave at 5:00 as scheduled. It left about 5:45 or so.

In Nassau, Cabbage Beach is quite scenic (so I hear since I didn't see it). I saw Cable Beach and thought that was nice. $25 will get you a pass from the Sheraton to use their facilities and to the beach. At Junkanoo Beach, it's free and within walking distance from the cruise ship. Lots of locals there; bathrooms available. Not as "pretty" as Cable Beach however. So, it depends on what you want and how much you want to spend. Junkanoo is free and nice. Cable is pretty but has a cost if you go through the Sheraton.

I hope this helps! Have a safe, enjoyable cruise!

Teacher 2013, I have a question about Paradise Cove and snorkeling. This will be our first cruise in April 2013 and we have NEVER snorkeled. Of course I'm a little nervous, but someone mentioned Paradise Beach or Deadman's Cove for beginners snorkeling because you walk straight in from the beach...is this true? Would you recommend for beginners since you said they don't really watch you?

Teacher 2013, I have a question about Paradise Cove and snorkeling. This will be our first cruise in April 2013 and we have NEVER snorkeled. Of course I'm a little nervous, but someone mentioned Paradise Beach or Deadman's Cove for beginners snorkeling because you walk straight in from the beach...is this true? Would you recommend for beginners since you said they don't really watch you?

First time snorkeling is going to make you nervous. Really, the only thing you must remember is to breathe through your mouth (which is wrapped around the breathing tube) and to tred water if the water is over your head while standing. If you are a decent swimmer, no big deal, right? I'm NOT a "decent" swimmer....so, what did I do? The advantage of snorkling right from the beach is that YOU decide how far out you want to go. There is a LOT of space to snorkle without the water going over your head. Of course, you don't see as many fish (it's a bit further out), but you can swim out there and "hang on" to their floaters (that are attached to the bottom of the ocean). I did that and had no problem. I CAN recommend this place for beginners since you decide how far out you go. There IS a signal (which they show you) should you get "in trouble" and need assistance. I did NOT see it used, however, and don't know how effective it is. I went out OVER 100 yards from the shore (and probably more than that, but had no measuring device, so hard to know exactly how far I was) and the water was only waist deep. Like I said, I'm no great swimmer, but this place was wonderful for me. For those who ARE decent swimmers and advanced snorklers, my wife is such and she loved the place also. She went further out than I did and enjoyed the trip. So, something for every level, I think. I would only caution that if you have children, to watch them closely. :)

Did you buy the pass to Sheraton in advance or that same day? How did you get to Sheraton?

I am not aware of anyway to buy the passes in advance. I was told (by the hotel) to purchase the pass when you get there (at the front desk). The only way you will be declined a pass is if too many people have already bought a pass and are using their facilities. I don't know when or if that has ever happened....so....

Getting to the Sheraton is a taxi drive away. If you can take more than 2 on your drive out there, you can split the cost among the riders. They charge per person, but the cost is reasonable. You can see taxi rates if you google (or whatever search engine you use) Nassau taxi rates and see what the cost is.

• 3 weeks later...

Last time I was in the Bahamas, we went to Cabbage Beach. It was beautiful. All you can hope for as far as ocean views, etc. However, getting there was a giant pain.

We had read that you could walk from Atlantis, which is what we attempted. It was like a massive scavenger hunt. In the end, we found it, were able to get some lounge chairs, drinks & go for a swim. No facilities as far as bathrooms, etc. We tipped a guard at one of the resorts to allow us in to use the facilities. We took a shortcut back by sort of accidentally breaking into Atlantis which noone seemed to care about so I assume that happens often (we literally walked through, didn't try to use any facilities there).

Afterwards I learned that I think you can get a taxi to the beach vicinity faster, but not 100% sure about that.

We are going back in February & this time I think we are going to do the Sheraton at Cable Beach. We will be traveling with our children for the first time so I want something that is fairly easy & has access to facilities.

Archived