Anyone back from the Pearl to Alaska?

luvmarley

I haven't seen any recent trip reports from the Pearl to Alaska. How was the weather? Any rough sea days? Any mosquito issues? We are leaving on Aug. 5. Would love some freestyle dailies and MDR menus. Any don't miss foods or entertainment or spa treatments? Is the weather ok to use the pools or hot tubs?

There are quite a few reviews both on this board and the Ports of Call - Alaska plus the main CC review site.

Weather is a week by week - heck minute by minute in some cases ;) like our Tracy Arm and Glacier Explorer tour in Juneau - before we left the ship they said that we would probably not be able to make it all the way into the Glacier. By the time we reached the dock it was announced that there would be some rough seas. When we got underway the seas calmed and we made it to the glaciers. The problem was a small storm that caught an earlier boat in rough waters - by the time we left the storm had passed.

I haven't seen any recent trip reports from the Pearl to Alaska. How was the weather? Any rough sea days? Any mosquito issues? We are leaving on Aug. 5. Would love some freestyle dailies and MDR menus. Any don't miss foods or entertainment or spa treatments? Is the weather ok to use the pools or hot tubs?

We have done the Glacier Bay cruise on the Pearl once before (end of July) and are doing it again.

We were very lucky on our last trip, only one grey and drizzly afternoon, glorious sunshine the others. We're hoping for a repeat. Temps ran upper 40's at night to upper 60's day, with some short periods that were even warmer.

On our last trip, there was one very rough sea day, the first one out of Seattle. The open sea area between the end of Juan de Fuca strait and the beginning of the Inside Passage can be rough. You do cross this area twice on the cruise, but on our return trip it was nowhere near as rough.

I wouldn't even consider bringing a swimsuit for the pools on this cruise, unless you're a very hardy person. Air and water temps are generally cool to chilly. No problem with Spa treatments though, they're all indoors. DW loves hot stone massages, and always gets at least one, and usually two, on a 7 day cruise.

We had no mosquito problems, although I have to say that the little critters don't much care for me no matter where I am. My DW does get bitten though, and she didn't report any problems.

Food on the ship (if that's what you're asking about) is all very subjective. I'd say it's fine, but wouldn't particularly say there's anything I'd rate as "don't miss."

I was on the Pearl the week of July 4th. My review in on this board somewhere if you want to look for it. Our weather was cloudy and cool but dry most of the week. We got some sunshine and warmer temperatures in Ketichikan and Victoria. Definitely take lots of layers.

The pool, hot tub, and slides were in use pretty much all week from what I could see. Most of the time it was primarily kids in the pool, but the hot tubs were always full. The last day we had sunshine and the pool area was hopping.

We didn't have anything I would consider rough seas. But, apparently the first night out of Seattle got a little bumpy for some. It's not anything I have an issue with, so unless it's really bad, I don't pay much attention.

Encore! was quite good in terms of entertainment. It was the only show we saw so I can't speak to anything else.

We are leaving on Pearl for Alaska this weekend.

How does the SPA pass work is it daily, one time use, or weekly pass.

What are the costs.

On weather channel unfortunately it shows rain all week hope we will get some sunshine.

Thanks so much for all the replies! I love a hot stone massage so will check that out. Good to hear that there is a chance for sunshine too. We are 12 people traveling together and one couple do get sea sick so will tell them about the rough sea areas and to come prepared.

Thanks so much for all the replies! I love a hot stone massage so will check that out. Good to hear that there is a chance for sunshine too. We are 12 people traveling together and one couple do get sea sick so will tell them about the rough sea areas and to come prepared.

If you have anyone who is at all prone to sea sickness, remember that the otc remedies (such as bonine & dramamine) need to be taken BEFORE you get sea sick. So in this case, you'd want to start taking them the day before you board in Seattle, since you will be encountering the open water that night and the next day.

On our cruise in June we had smooth as glass waters leaving Seattle and through the night on Sunday. Monday we had moderate chop and once we got into the inside passage we went back down to low chop for the rest of the week. Going from Ketchikan to Victoria the waves were moderate. None of our group had any problems with sea sickness - however we saw quite a few people with patches.

Archived