Princess vs. Oceania

can786

We are looking at and trying to decide on very similar itineraries for 2006. They are both Iceland/Norway/British Isles. They leave four days apart. One is on Oceania Insignia and the other is on the Sea Princess. All things considered, Oceania would be about $500pp more. Anyone have any thoughts on whether it is worth an extra $500 for Oceania? We have sailed on and enjoyed everything from Grand Class ships to 150 passenger riverboats. We enjoy the food on Princess, but are not gourmets by any means (heck... I'm just happy when I don't have to cook the dinner I'm eating!). We usually stick with cruiseline shore excursions because we prefer to err on the side of caution. We bring our own wine to have a drink or two before dinner, so our bar bill is usually quite low. We enjoy enrichment lectures and going to the evening show. We enjoy the Anytime dining on Princess. The Oceania fare includes air from Chicago to London, so we would be stuck with whatever air arrangements they give us. I calculated the cost of doing our own air with Princess into the equation when I came up with the $500 difference. When doing our own air we can use FF miles to upgrade to business class. Just looking for anyone who has sailed both and can give pros and cons. Thanks.

My Sister and BIL did Oceania a year ago, last fall. My sister has also done the Grand and the Diamond. She really didn't like the Oceania. Her comments were that food was better on Princess, Princess has a younger and livelier crowd, room was nice and service was fine. According to her majority of cruisers were pretty sedate and in their 70s+(they are in their mid-late forties)and the public areas were empty by 9 every night. I'm sure you will get different answers from different people, but that was their opinion.

Julie

We just did Oceania Regatta for a 12 day Miami to Miami in March. We always wanted to try a "smaller" ship to see the differences.

We enjoyed the smaller ship for having not as many people as the larger ships we have been on. My wife and I are not in our 70's, but 50's, and we found the mix of people great. Yes there were older passengers, so if you need the 40's crowd then it probably is not for you. Everything is less on the small ship. We liked the less cramped feeling. Food was great for us, and I do think Celebrity was on the same level as Oceania. I think Oceania was a more relaxed cruise than some of the other ones we've been on. You just have to try a small ship to see if it fits what you want.

On the other hand we are booked for the Sea Princess next March for a 14 day cruise. We were on the Sea when it was just new back in 99. Great ship in it's own right...............Both Princess ships (Sea and Dawn)we've cruised on were great.....................

Good luck finding that special cruise.................:)

You definitely are looking at a more mature crowd on a line like Oceania. I had clients on Regatta very recently and they say they were suprised at the water and soft drinks being extra but otherwise enjoyed everything about the line.

They had lots of comments about food and service being very good but did mention the crowd being older. Most of the six star lines have this in common in regard to age. Also, I think when itineraries are longer the cruisers who are not yet retired are numbered.

For five hundred each I would go for it if I could. You might be sorry later if you don't.

Good luck in your quandry.

We're going on Oceania's Regatta, Aug 05, into the Baltic. Chose that ship because it is one of the few that can transit the Kiel Canal, a very pretty part of Germany.

Their two-for-one pricing with free air special helped convince us to try it.

We were on Regatta's sister, Pacific Princess (new) 11-03, and enjoyed the small ship very much.

Murphey - we were comparing either a balcony (category BB on Sea Princess to Category B3 on Insignia) or an oceanview (category DD on Sea Princess to category C2 on Insignia). In both instances, Oceania was $500pp more. The age of the passengers isn't much of a factor. I am in my mid 40s and will be cruising with my mom who is in her mid 70s(and very active... she runs circles around me!). Being with older crowds has never bothered me and I have met some great people who are older on cruises. One of our biggest concerns is shore excursions... I've heard that Oceania's are more limited and pricier than Princess shore excursions. Also, my mom is an elite CC member with Princess so there are a few nice perks to go with that (I'm a mere platinum, so I only get the free internet which is quite handy to keep in touch with my husband and kids back home). I figure I'm pretty lucky when my toughest decision right now is which cruise to book for next year when I already have two booked for this summer!

Murphey - we were comparing either a balcony (category BB on Sea Princess to Category B3 on Insignia) or an oceanview (category DD on Sea Princess to category C2 on Insignia). In both instances, Oceania was $500pp more. The age of the passengers isn't much of a factor. I am in my mid 40s and will be cruising with my mom who is in her mid 70s(and very active... she runs circles around me!). Being with older crowds has never bothered me and I have met some great people who are older on cruises. One of our biggest concerns is shore excursions... I've heard that Oceania's are more limited and pricier than Princess shore excursions. Also, my mom is an elite CC member with Princess so there are a few nice perks to go with that (I'm a mere platinum, so I only get the free internet which is quite handy to keep in touch with my husband and kids back home). I figure I'm pretty lucky when my toughest decision right now is which cruise to book for next year when I already have two booked for this summer!

Cathy,

That's certainly a tough one.I agree with you about age,we took a 15-day Panama Canal repo cruise in '02 and I'd have to say the average age was about 64...no joke.At dinner,we sat with 2 other couples who were much older than us but the stories and laughter we shared was priceless.I have always met older,interesting people on cruises.

The Elite membership is certainly a great perk,I racked up over $385 of "free" internet services on our last cruise,not to mention the free dry cleaning/washing/pressing service.

As Gypsea mentioned,good luck in your quandry!;)

Cathy...

I hate to bring this comment here in front of my Princess cruiser friends, but, since you're also considering Oceania, allow me to throw another choice into the mix...

Have you considered the Celebrity Constellation as well? We've cruised on the Connie before as well as two of her sister ships and think it's an absolutely wonderful ship, extremely spacious with only 2,000 passengers on a 91,000 ton ship...and the service and food are superior...

We're doing the British Isles/Norwegian Fjords route on her in July...

I cruised Princess in the Baltic back in August 2001 and was not particularly impressed with their handling of this part of the world...some of the port stops were too short and they used some very inconvenient piers (most notably Nynashamn for Stockholm, requiring an expensive and long bus ride back and forth)...

I would imagine Oceania, with it's smaller ships, may be able to navigate some of the smaller ports easier...

BTW, when we did Princess to the Baltic in 2001, the average passenger age had to be around 85...We felt like signing up for the Kids Program...

But, seriously, check into Celebrity as well...

We have sailed on both Oceania and Princess. Both are great lines. The food was better on Oceania and the ships are lovely, but the entertainment on Princess was superior. I would simply choose the time and itinerary you like best. Oceania ships are small (same as Tahitian Princess) and I prefer that, but some like more amentities that are available on the large ships.

Either way - you will have a great trip!!

Bruin Steve:

I agree with you regarding the Celebrity Constellation. We did the British Isles-Norwegian Fjords cruise in July 2003 and had a wonderful time.

The day Celebrity announced their itineraries for the summer of 2006 we booked the July 1, 2006 Baltic-Russian cruise on the Constellation. Imagine an itinerary which not only includes the normal ports, but also has Poland and Lithuania on the same 14 night cruise.

Ellis

Thanks everybody for your input. We had almost decided on Oceania (though it was a tough decision) when my husband informed me that he has a hiking trip planned and it would interfere with the Oceania cruise by a couple of days. Since I cruise with my mom and we have teenagers at home, I need to have my husband home with the kids. Luckily, he'll be home two days before the Sea Princess cruise, so that's the one we are choosing. I look forward to the opportunity to try Oceania some other time in the future.

Thanks everybody for your input. We had almost decided on Oceania (though it was a tough decision) when my husband informed me that he has a hiking trip planned and it would interfere with the Oceania cruise by a couple of days. Since I cruise with my mom and we have teenagers at home, I need to have my husband home with the kids. Luckily, he'll be home two days before the Sea Princess cruise, so that's the one we are choosing. I look forward to the opportunity to try Oceania some other time in the future.

There's always a next time...have a GREAT time on the Sea!

Archived