Prepaid Visa

NurseMarla

Interesting question. I would think you could use them to purchase items no problem, as they work just like a credit/debit card in that way. I wouldn't think you could use them at an ATM, due to them not having a pin number for you to enter.

Or maybe pre paid cards have changed since I last had one and now come witha pin number to use at ATM's. Maybe some one else will chime in, with 100% accuracy on the ATM part. I would like to know as well.

Interesting question. I would think you could use them to purchase items no problem, as they work just like a credit/debit card in that way. I wouldn't think you could use them at an ATM, due to them not having a pin number for you to enter.

Or maybe pre paid cards have changed since I last had one and now come witha pin number to use at ATM's. Maybe some one else will chime in, with 100% accuracy on the ATM part. I would like to know as well.

Ok, I have done a little research online. You can use them in ATMs as long as the ATM takes Visa. The ones I looked at have pin numbers. The charge is around 2.50 per transaction when you are in Mexico. You can also use them for purchases as long as they take Visa.

I would also like to know if anyone has had any problems using these in Mexico... Anyone?

In general, credit cards are accepted at the larger stores and businesses. THat said, you may be faced with the eternal "terminal not working" or "no hay linea" situation which will make you pay cash, if you have it, or walk away. Some businesses are reluctant to accept credit cards as the commission eats away at their already meager profit margin.

As Mr Lawson said - better to stick with cash, and bring small bills.

Depending on where you shop, cash is a better haggling incentive unless you plan on shopping in the larger stores or purchasing big ticket items like jewelry - which I dunno would be prudent in Progresso/Merida

Hwefnerd. Have you had problems in Merida or Progreso. I've spent a total of about 60 days in Merida, Progreso, Ticul and Campeche and never had problem one using cash or credit cards. I've bght silver jewery in Merida knowing that silver designs are from other states in Mexico and was very happy with it. Just wondering.......

I hadn't really decided how much, Mr. Lawson. I kind of just figured we would bring cash, but have the debit card "just in case". You mentioned before that in Merida most places prefer pesos, so using a debit at an ATM seems easier to obtain those, from what I've read, anyways.

I'm probably just over thinking everything, but I like to be prepared! :)

Hwefnerd. Have you had problems in Merida or Progreso. I've spent a total of about 60 days in Merida, Progreso, Ticul and Campeche and never had problem one using cash or credit cards. I've bght silver jewery in Merida knowing that silver designs are from other states in Mexico and was very happy with it. Just wondering.......

No, but just saying that depending on where the OP plans on purchasing items, cash might be the better way to go and a better incentive to haggling than using a CC. Besides- silver and jewelry would be on the order of bigger ticket items, imho.

And since OP said that the pre-paid card would be a backup, I guess its a moot point!

Archived