Pier Assistance for Mariner at Port Canaveral?

cherry2000

My father has severe arthritis, and although he is not in a wheelchair yet, he cannot stand very long at all, or walk for that matter. I called RCI and told them about his problem, and they have his reservation marked "Pier Assistance Required". I'm under the impression that upon arrival at the pier, we will look for a RCI rep who will call for the wheelchair and direct us to priority check-in. They were quite vague w/me on the phone, so I thought I'd ask the experts! Can anyone tell me exactly what to expect? thx!

I use a wheelchair and went on Mariner last year. I did not see any RCL reps until we got inside the terminal. I am sure if you contacted one, they would assist you. You will also receive priority check-in.:)

I believe you are a family group. This is what I would do. When you get out on the curb if the distance to get inside is far. One of you stay with him and the others go inside. Find a rep and get a wheelchair go get your FIL. Take him in the disabled line. The rest will go throught the reg line. Meet at the Front Desk then go from there.

The Marinar is a very, very large ship, you should think about renting a scooter for your Father Also get an H/C room for him if you rent the scooter.

I would take a wheelchair with you. You cannot depend upon the ship's wheelchairs, they are heavy, and generally they will not allow you take one ashore. Take your own, and they will see you right away and assist you into the wheelchair line. There are often lines on the ships (Captain's cocktail party, buffets, etc.) and if he cannot walk far, he will need one for any shore excursions. You can rent from a local company and have it for your airport time, check it at the plane gate, pick it up at the arrival gate, and have it for the entire trip. If you have the time, you might even purchase so that you have one for your dad to use at home if he needs it or for future trips too.

I also agree that you should think about taking/renting a wheelchair.

But to answer your question, there are porters outside, assisiting with luggage, so I would just ask one of them to see if they can go get a wheelchair. There are also benches there, so if your dad can walk a few steps from the car he can sit and wait for the wheelchair.

Candy

Please be aware that Canaveral also parks vehicles in a multi-story garage. Be sure to get out at luggage drop-off or face quite a trek. Also, they also have disabled parking on the garage ramp. I found myself there. Transferring to my scooter with the car on a ramp is no fun!

Archived