How far in advance to book dives?

mousemom11

We'll be on the Allure doing a B2B next June. DH and I would like to dive in Cozumel and St Thomas through independent dive operators. How far in advance would you recommend that we book?

Who do you recommend in Cozumel and St Thomas?

We book as early as we can if they have a reasonable cancellation policy.

St Thomas we are doing an AM 2-tank with Coki Dive and we booked 8 months in advance because we are 3 divers and they only take 6 on the boat.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Wife and I dove last Oct in Cozumel with Pappa Hog's. Very reasonably priced and they run fast 6 person boats. As we were newer divers they took us out to Columbia Shallows and Palancar Gardens. Great dive for the novice.

Once we have decided on the trip we always book as soon as possible. A lot of the operations use smaller boats and keep them limited to 6-8 people. Have used Aqua Marine in St Thomas twice and they provide an excellent service. Last time we went the others that had booked cancelled and it was just the wife and I.

We'll be on the Allure doing a B2B next June. DH and I would like to dive in Cozumel and St Thomas through independent dive operators. How far in advance would you recommend that we book?

In Coz, we always Dive with Martin. He is right on one of the piers (old international pier), near the La Ceiba hotel. Fast boats, small groups and will work with cruisers.

I'm glad you asked, I don't know how fast they book up, but I'm on Allure a month or so ahead of you and I am in conversation with the Coki Dive Club at Coki Beach in St Thomas. The only thing keeping me from booking now is what to do with my wife. I chose this because they have a nice beach there, but I am hoping to find someone from our roll call to go with us/her.

We book as early as we can if they have a reasonable cancellation policy.

St Thomas we are doing an AM 2-tank with Coki Dive and we booked 8 months in advance because we are 3 divers and they only take 6 on the boat.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

When are you doing this? I'm thinking of when I am there May 1st, I might wait to hear what you think.

I'm glad you asked, I don't know how fast they book up, but I'm on Allure a month or so ahead of you and I am in conversation with the Coki Dive Club at Coki Beach in St Thomas. The only thing keeping me from booking now is what to do with my wife. I chose this because they have a nice beach there, but I am hoping to find someone from our roll call to go with us/her.

Bill, if you want to do a boat dive, she may be able to come along as an observer on the boat. Possibly, she could snorkle while you dive.

In Coz, we always Dive with Martin. He is right on one of the piers (old international pier), near the La Ceiba hotel. Fast boats, small groups and will work with cruisers.

Thanks, he has lots of good reviews on Trip Advisor.

Bill, if you want to do a boat dive, she may be able to come along as an observer on the boat. Possibly, she could snorkle while you dive.

Not a bad idea, I'll ask her about that. I'm not sure she would be comfortable snorkeling without me, but I'll ask. There would be the temptation on my part to swim up under her and grab a foot.:eek:

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for your input everyone. I've booked our Coz dive with Dive with Martin and our St Thomas dive with Blue Island Divers.

Check back here in May, I booked my dive with Blue Island and hope to post some pictures here when I get back.

A lot depends on the individual dive operator. Some dive ops are very popular, and get booked early.

For Cozumel, DW and I like Scuba With Alison. She only takes 8 divers at a time and is very friendly, professional and fun to be around. You don't even have to pay a deposit when you book with her. She's also a PADI Master Instructor, so if you want any specific certifications (deep diver, drift diver, etc.) just let her know.

Archived