Snorkeling in Coco Cay

I will be on a 3-day cruise with my daughter and one of the stops is Coco Cay. I want to take her snorkeling but want to know if the RC crew on Coco Cay controls the snorkeling. We will have our own snorkeling equipment and wanted to make sure that we don't run into any issues not being part of an organized effort. Also I wanted to know if Adults were required to wear a snorkeling vest?

Thanks for any info

Larry G

Yes, you have to wear the vest. :( I wish they'd show vests on people in the ads. False advertising, if you ask me. The only time I ever got to snorkel without vest was a little side trip in Belize. LOVED IT! I'm quite a swimmer, never inflate the vest anyway, and would love to not wear it. But alas, libility and lawyers say "thou must wear thy snorkel vest".

We take our own equip and hop right in. There are lifeguards and such, but it's not a guided thing. (at least not while I was there.) Off the main beach, stay to the left for the best experience (in my opinion...) We saw stingrays, a nurse shark, and a puffer fish on last trip by staying near the deeper section. It was CRYSTAL clear both times and we would have snorkeled back to the ship had they let us.

The best ever for us on CocoCay was the lifeguard hopping up and down on her chair and blowing her whistle at us to point out the HUGE eagle ray coming our way. Had it not been for her, we would have missed it! I've snorkeled all over the Caribbean and still enjoy CocoCay the most. We're not going to CocoCay on our next cruise and I'm sure going to miss it! HAVE FUN!

We at at Coco Cay a few weeks ago. My sister made a comment snorkeling there was better there than in Hawaii! I would agree with PhinsandGills and add the earlier you go in the day the better. Six of us used two sets of gear. The first pair out saw more than those that went later in the day. I am sure that was due to all the activity.

We also brought our own equipment to Coco Key and rented the vests. I didn't inflate my vest until I got tired swimming back in and it was nice to have the option to inflate it and float for awhile. I don't know if it is common, but there was quite a current sweeping through the snorkeling area when we were there last summer.

Hi my name is Mary and my family and I will be in coco cay in June we have all the snokeling gear accept the fins and vest can you rent these items and what is the cost? Do you need fins? If you can answer these questions i would appreciate it.

THANKS MARY:)

You Can Rent Or Bring Your Own. We Bring Our Own Stuff Since Hawaii 15 Years Ago. Just Bought A New Mask Last Month In Cozumel While On Explorer. Coco Cay Is A Nice Kick Back Beach Day. Rc Serves A Bbq Lunch Which Is Pretty Good. When You Snorkel Swim Out To The Sunken Plane. Lots Of Fish. Enjoy....oh, A Vest Is Always A Good Idea. When It Is Not Inflated You Forget Its On. Just In Case Of A Cramp Or Unusual Current Puff That Baby Up And It Just Might Save Your Life

If you bring your own mask, fins, and snorkel, you'll need to rent the vest. They are something like $8-9pp for all day use.

Ahhhh, one week from tomorrow and we'll be there!! :D

What equipment do you need if you buy and bring your own?

How much is it in Coco-Cay?

It is 6.00 for the day to rent a vest. They add it to your sea pass and then you return everything by 4:00 PM. Thats it.

BTW, If you are looking for the plane it is straight out to the lifeguard in the middle just to the left of the floating dock. We swam all over looking for it and then I finally found it.

Becareful if you are out there during low tide as the current is VERY strong going towards the ocean on the left side in the shallower areas:eek: !

Thanks forf all the great info everyone. I just was wondering...when you say the best snorkeling is to the left, is that to teh left as you face the beach or FROM the beach?

Looking at the beach, The ship will be on your left!

Archived