Saltzburg or Linz ?

abredt

I love to see different sights and countryside so riding a bus for even 2 hours gives me some insight into what life is elsewhere in the world. I am looking forward to the Salzburg tour and the opportunity to see yet another wonderful European city, even if it is only for a few hours. Certainly not enough time to see all there is to see but at least a flavour of what life is like or was like. While I am not a big music fan, even revisiting the Sound of Music tunes for a short time would be a way to pass the time. Cesky Krumlov is also worth the bus trip.

Same question - but we will be on a Christmas Market cruise. Is the bus ride to Salzburg for the Christmas Market and sightseeing worth it over Linz at that time of year? Also - how long is the bus ride?

B. Cole

Salzburg Christmas Markets are a big yes! We were in Munich and Salzburg a few years ago during Thanksgiving and loved it...especially at that time of year. If you're on a Market cruise, you should make the trip to Salzburg...IMHO!

Abredt, you leave in a few weeks and must be getting excited! We did the same exact trip (Enchanting Danube) a few years ago. We also did pre-cruise in Munich and post-cruise in Budapest. Where are you staying in those cities and how are you getting from Munich to Passau? If you really don't feel like a long bus ride to Salzburg, it is really easy walking off the ship in Linz. You will be about 3 blocks from town square. You will also get the sense that this is Not a major tourist destination, and you get a more down to earth view of a small Austrian city. There is a nice theatre and park to walk by, and if you look hard enough, you can track down where Mozart briefly stayed and wrote his "Linz Symphony". As others have pointed out, you also get taken to 2 other gorgeous towns that are perhaps less industrialized than Linz...

Hi,

Munich - Platzl Hotel

Budapest - Gerloczy

Travel agent at AAA called Uniworld and asked them to include us on the shuttle if we get to the MUC airport at the same time that others are arriving. (I suspect that AAA handles many Uniworld bookings.)

I will stay in Linz. They snail-mailed me lots of info after I visited their website. Husband is deciding between the 2 offered excursions.

Funny story: Their info talked about the Haribo candy factory, so I google-mapped it, etc. A few days later, in my local supermarket, there was a big display of Haribo candy. They made the first Gummy-bears.

cb

Archived