Ketchikan questions

Kenwoody

Since there will be 8 of us, would it be better to rent a van here, to go to the Saxman village, @ 25.00 x 8 = $200.00. What are the advantages and disadvantages? Would we need van otherwise? Thanks.

You can get a tour thru the locals to Saxman for the same price! Check http://www.visit-ketchikan.com. Sourdough comes to mind. Do know that some tours don't visit carving shed or see native dancers and if you don't go with tour you probably can't visit this part of Saxman either. There are locals at the tourist bureau you could book with when you get there but with 8 of you I'd do ahead..

I am just back, NONE of the independent tours now go into the carving shed UNLESS invited. In my opinion Saxman still requires a guide, it is not self guided and unless you just want a look at totems (which you can easily do right in town), get the stories behind them and get a guide.

Not sure what you mean by get a guide. Do you mean guides on the dock. But not by independent tours, example Sourdough or Ketchikan city tours. Can you explain more. Or does the ship tours offer the carvers' shed? That is the only stop that we haven't finalized and we sail June 3rd. Thanks.

There are MANY independent guides at the dock to take you to Saxman village. The ship contracted tours go in the carving shed. My reference for the guide was not to just take a cab and get dropped off or walk or bike there.

I agree with BQ (who wouldn't). We were told by the tourist information that we could just take a cab and see it on our own. WRONG! First of all, the dancers' performance is timed to the arrival of the big tour busses from the ships. Since we took off first thing, there would have been a two hour wait, as the tour bus folks are shuttled through a movie first. Fortunately, since the two families in the cab were the only ones there, the carvers let us in, and I have pictures of my (then) 9 year old daughter painting one of the totems. Thus this was a highlight for us, but I definitely recommend you go with someone who will get you into the various venues there. Perhaps you can find a combo tour of Saxman plus Totem Bight? If you are thinking you don't want to pre-book, you might want to check the schedule and see when your ship is scheduled to dock, vis-a-vis others. If you are not on the first ship in, the independent tours may be booked by the time you arrive. Someone on this board had a website that shows schedules for each port.

Archived