How does the waitlist work on sold out cruises?

kath00

Happy to share, especially since this is the first time I have had to deal with waitlisting and a completely sold out cruise.

To continue the saga, we are sailing in 1 week. I still have the wonderful AC cabin I got assigned off the waitlist about 1 1/2 weeks ago. I marked it do not upgrade since it's in a fab location. However, I left myself on the WL for the full suites.

I called yesterday and was told I was #23 on the "overall" list. Of course they wouldn't tell me what number I was for the suites but last I checked I think I was #2 (when I got an agent who was willing to be more specific).

Well, if I had NOT gotten a cabin already, I would be sweating bullets about now because it's unlikely that I will ever get a suite. With a week to go before we sail, there has been essentially NO movement of the WL for the last 10 days! :eek: Thank goodness I am happy with the Mini.

Intersting how some weeks I was moving up 10 positions and now there is almost no movement. I am assuming that last minute cancellations may result in me getting a suite in the next 7 days, but I bet it's pretty unlikely. I definitely want to be able to turn down a suite that is in the bow of the ship so that is why I took myself off the upgrade. But IF I get the call and get a good location for one, I would be happy to pay for it and take it.

Just updating this thread again.

I called Princess to get my WL status for the suites. Of course they give you the "overall WL position" so I was quoted #22. We are sailing in 5 days. If the WL had not matched for a mini a few weeks back, I would be pretty sure that it's unlikely to match now with only 5 days to go.

I hit the princess.com website about 5-6x a day (and night) to check for available rooms and there are NONE and have been none except the one time right after my WL matched, where I saw one single mini on princess.com for about 6 hours before it disappeared completely.

Hope this info helps. I will probably call the day before the cruise and check the # again, just to keep this thread going till the very end.

I am very happy with our mini so to me, it doesn't matter anymore what happens. But I want to provide as much info up to the very end for others as possible. :)

Kath

Just following up this thread to the very end, like I promised. We are sailing tomorrow (WOOT!!!) and the WL for the Suite did not come through. We are in the same mini we were assigned a few weeks back. No problem there since we were very happy with it.

I called Princess tonight for any last minute availability and they had a mini available (but we wanted a full suite so we said no thanks). It would have been an upgrade but they wanted money for it and we like our current location better anyway.

She quoted us #22 on the waitlist (overall) so I am guessing there has been almost NO movement of the WL in the last 2 weeks! Amazing. I guess last minute cancellations were few and far between.

Happy sailing to all! This was a great learning experience for us as I have never tried to book a cruise so close to sailing before (esp one that was totally sold out)! Katherine

She quoted us #22 on the waitlist (overall) so I am guessing there has been almost NO movement of the WL in the last 2 weeks! Amazing. I guess last minute cancellations were few and far between.

Which is a good thing since almost all cancellations this close to the cruise would be for serious illness or death.

Archived