Has Maasdam been updated w new mattresses, etc?

I am confused. On the schedule I found on the HAL website, Maasdam is not scheduled for the SOE upgrades until Spring 2006. However, I was reading through some reviews, and one person was talking about the new softer beds and european linens. Someone else talked about new carpet and mentioned the ship had been in dry dock for 4 weeks. Sounds like at least some items have been upgraded. Is there anyone who's been on the ship recently that can let me know if these updates are in place or not?

We are considering sailing the Maasdam in the near future, but have read conflicting reviews, good and bad, and don't want to splurge only to be disappointed!

Cecilctycruiser,

We just left those wonderful soft beds with Euro style linens on the Maasdam on 5/12. They were wonderful! We slept like babies in our aft cabin on Lower Promenade Deck as we were rock to sleep each night on the soft bedding. Waffle cloth robes lined with soft terry cloth were provided as well & were very cozy to slip into after a shower. Don't know if carpets are new but everything looked in reasonably good condition. Be glad to help with any more questions. We love this size ship and felt at home immediately after unpacking. It was very easy to get around to the public areas of a ship and dining areas. We always found quiet spots to be alone on sun decks or lounge areas with a ship this size (1250 pax). The only really crowded areas were sometimes at the Lido around the Dolphin pool in the afternoons. The engine problems seem to be resolved as we sailed 18-20 knots throughout our cruise in the Caribbean. We had no plumbing problems and the service was excellent!

I am confused. On the schedule I found on the HAL website, Maasdam is not scheduled for the SOE upgrades until Spring 2006. However, I was reading through some reviews, and one person was talking about the new softer beds and european linens. Someone else talked about new carpet and mentioned the ship had been in dry dock for 4 weeks. Sounds like at least some items have been upgraded. Is there anyone who's been on the ship recently that can let me know if these updates are in place or not? We are considering sailing the Maasdam in the near future, but have read conflicting reviews, good and bad, and don't want to splurge only to be disappointed!

We got off the Maasdam on January 2. She didn't sail again until January 6 -- I believe it was in a 4-day what they call "wet dock." Crew said it would get new carpet in the dining room and an overall deep cleaning. We did not have the new mattresses, so obviously that took place in January also. I believe the final SOE will take place in 2006 dry dock. We loved the Maasdam so much we are booked again in November!

I am confused. On the schedule I found on the HAL website, Maasdam is not scheduled for the SOE upgrades until Spring 2006.

Look again at the SOE schedule. You'll note that SOE upgrades are phased in over time: The first five upgrades including "Luxurious Beds and Bed Linens" portion are check marked complete for the Maasdam.

http://www.hollandamerica.com/pdfs/SOE_update.pdf

I too am glad to hear she has the new beds since we just ordered on of the new beds from HAL a few weeks ago and will already have the new bed at home before we cruise on the Maasdam in July. I would certainly hate to go to the cruise and have sub standard beds from what I have a home. At least this way we will feel right at home:D

I see that now. Thank you all for your replies! If we can find a date that fits in with my husband's school schedule, we may just book a trip on this ship! If we do, any tips or hints regarding the ship or the port at Norfolk?

CecilCtyCruiser,

We love this ship despite some of the negative reviews I read on this board. I'll bump up my review of our recent cruise to Southern Caribbean. I would definitely cruise on this ship again. Traveling from PA the drive was long-7 hrs.-would probably look into flying down next time. We loved Norfolk too-had a nice enening "on the town" pre-cruise. embarkation/debarkation was a breeeze-took about 20 each way. Will try to help with any other questions.

Archived