Why can't I see the excursion I want?

cvpends

On the Carnival website, if (when not logged into the site) I "Explore Carnival Cruising" and click on "Shore Excursions," then under "Port of Call" select Montego Bay, Jamaica, a fun-sounding excursion called "Dolphin Swim & Doctor's Cave Beach" appears, among other excursions.

When I log into the Carnival website, and go to Manage My Cruise and select my cruise for next July and then "Plan Activities," the excursion doesn't show up for my cruise.

Do you think:

1) I am planning too far ahead and Carnival hasn't arranged for this excursion?

2) Carnival will no longer have this excursion next summer?

3) It is already sold out? (I doubt this.)

4) Carnival.com hates me?

5) Other (please specify)

Thanks!

If you can find out who the local operator of the tour is it might be worth contacting them directly to see what's going on. We stumbled onto a weird mix-up between Carnival and the company at supplies Americas Cup Yacht Regatta on St. Martaan. The tour we wanted wasn't listed on Carnival's website for our dates and the company kept telling us to book through Carnival. Carnival customer service said the company was no longer in business:confused:. I finally had the tour operator contact Carnival and sure enough there had been a major miscommunication between the two parties corporate offices that neither was aware of. (Got a nice e-mail from the tour operator for bringing it to their attention - they apparently couldn't understand why they had stopped getting bookings from Carnival during that time period!!)

Long story short - if it's something you reallllly want to do in that port, make a few calls.

P.S. Sometimes you can also book directly through the local operator, but not always - some of them have non-compete clauses in their agreements with the cruise lines. We ended up booking ours through Carnival once things got straightened out.

I suspect that there is something going on between the tour operator and Carnival, since other excursions for this and the other ports are available. If that tour doesn't show up soon, I will make that call. Thanks for the advice!

I know when I was trying to book or at least look at the excursion on my cruise when we were about 8 months out all of them were not listed. I contacted Carnival to find out if a specific one would be offered and the guy told me that once closer time to the cruise, which was only 6 months out for the excursion I was looking for, it should show up. In the mean time they are working on the contracts with the tour companies.

There may be two factors. One; Is your cruise payed off? (I noticed more excursions "appeared" after my pay-off.) Two; It may be too soon to book some of your favorites.

I have a cruise for next April, and some of the "private operators" don't offer their excursions until a sooner date to your arrival.

I hope this helps!;)

Wow, thanks for all the great feedback, everyone. I think I have a generally better understanding now. I suspect it does have to do with the contracts with the vendors. I think I'll wait until 6 months out and then call Carnival if the excursion I want doesn't show up then. Also, I will check the time to make sure that we are there the correct hours for the excursion. Thanks, everyone!

Some shore excrussions don't appear till around 3 months out. Called Carnival about one time. Told me that there are several reasons. Inc. different tour operators offerring the same tour so they shop the price. Sometimes they will be using a new tour operator so wait to see how it goes on a few cruises before listing it for all. And the big one being different ships stay in ports different hours. Hard for them to say let you book an 8 hour tour if your ship is only in port fot 7.

Archived