Aboard the Beatrice

cb222

Will try, but internet painfully slow. Got on with my cellphone for prior post. Can only get on using my laptop here in the library room. They do have 2 that you can use - also slow.

Passau - cute little town. Not much time to wander after tour.

In Linz. Hubby went to Salzburg. I passed on the 2-hr bus ride and browsed shops here. Only 8 of us didn't do bus trips. Bought a Linzer torte and will share it at dinner table.

Lots of interesting people - all very friendly except for one "We are a group - all of these seats are taken."

Love being on top deck sailing. There are buttons to push for drink service.

Oh dear, time to eat - again :( Too much good food !!

cb

We will be on the Beatrice on Oct. 21st. Save us a table. How did your husband enjoy Salzburg? Was it worth the long bus ride? Wish we could find others going in Oct. starting in Budapest. Enjoy the rest of your trip.

I did the Salzburg tour when I cruised River Beatrice and while I would have loved to prowl around Linz, the bus ride was worth it to get a sampler of Salzburg. It was a bit rushed and it's on my bucket list now for a long weekend visit, but no regrets about the long day.

Like most folks on our tour we all wanted to know everything about the Sound of Music tour -- that was a separate tour with a separate company but there just wasn't time.

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor in Chief

Cruise Critic

We will be on the Beatrice on Oct. 21st. Save us a table. How did your husband enjoy Salzburg? Was it worth the long bus ride? Wish we could find others going in Oct. starting in Budapest. Enjoy the rest of your trip.

Salzburg was worth the bus ride he said. Baroque church was the highlight.

He biked Melk to Durnstein with 21 others. UW hired more bikes than the 6 on the ship. I loved standing on deck for cruising the Wachau Valley. Lunch on sundeck = BBQ.

Vienna bus tour, then wandering through downtown Vienna. Walked to Naschmarket - produce, cheese, fish... Bought a pretzel, then UW shuttle back to ship.

Early dinner, concert good.

Schoenbrun Palace and gardens beautiful.

I cannot eat spices. Chef Michal makes me special entrees and appetizers for dinners. Tortellini today for lunch without sauce plus the buffet.

Too many desserts!!!

Everyone worried about Lufthansa strike. May be in Budapest airport for days.

Off to the sundeck - we're cruising to Budapest.

cb

Please post a review when you return home. We will be sailing Beatrice late October and would love to hear your favorites and "must do" and "don't bother"...both for on board and while on your excursions. Hope it was a wonderful cruise for you.

Cb, keep us posted about the Lufthansa situation. We frequently fly Lufthansa because of their direct flight to Frankfurt from Orlando. We have a tulip/Rhine River trip coming up in April and want to book our flights now. Should we wait or assume the situation will resolve itself well before then?

Lufthansa talking again on Wed. Looks like we will get home on Tu. as planned. Walked all over Bud. today. Tomorrow is Central Market. Don't buy anything on Vaci Utca. Cheaper on side streets. All kinds of crazy foods.

cb

Tomorrow is Central Market.

Don't forget to look for the strudel stall.... I had the cheese and apricot - and it was absolutely the best strudel I have ever eaten...

Don't buy anything on Vaci Utca. Cheaper on side streets. cb

There are some buys to be had on the end of the Vaci Utca close to the Central Market. Got some great scarves there - bought 3 for the price of one closer the top end (ie: by the Chain Bridge...)

Fran

Day1 - When in October are you going to be on the Beatrice? We leave from Budapest on Oct. 21st. Can't wait.

The next week, Oct. 28 from Passau. Please post along the way if possible! We are ready to go!

We did a Vienna to Nuremburg cruise 3 years ago and I cannot wait to go back to Vienna. This is our 3rd cruise with Uniworld and we find them to be a first class outfit. Last year we went on the Antionette, the sister ship to the Beatrice. We will try and post our experiences along the way, but the internet can be very slow or non existent at times. I also hope for good weather.

• 2 weeks later...

We took the Uniworld cruise 2 years ago from Nuremburg to Vienna and loved it!

Great costume jewelry store in Linz "Donau Stein Design". Everything is handmade. Purchased a beautiful necklace made of stones from the Danube, I get compliments everytime I wear it, wish I bought things there, fun place!

We did the River Beatrice two years ago in October and it was just phenomenal. One of you asked about "must-do" things and one our group agreed on was the Naschtmarket in Vienna. It may stand alone as the most versatile open air "food" market in the world! I use the term food very lightly because it is much more than that! We saw things there that we have never seen before or since. Also, we all loved the tiny town of Durnstein in Austria. So beautiful! Have a great trip. We are going on the Antoinette in a couple of weeks and can hardly wait! Isn't River Cruising wonderful?????

Something I should have mentioned was seeing the Lippazaner horses in Vienna - whether you have time for a performance or just do a tour of the stables and see the horses there or a rehearsal - all of it is something really, really special. A once in a lifetime kind of chance. The history behind them is just wonderful! Hope you have a great trip!

Archived