Dawson City

dawn.glenn@ns.sympatico.c

oppps I found it...looks like a 12 or 15 hour drive??? guess that's out of the question for this trip!

This is quite a unique destination for this board.

If it at all possible, I would try to fit this drive in before or after the cruise. Personally, I did not find Dawson City particularly thrilling. There are a few neat historical site around there and the site of all the rock and stuff they brought out of the mines and is just everywhere is kind of cool.

One of my highlights of that trip was the trip down the Dempster Highway which starts about 20 or 30 miles outside of Dawson City (a beautiful drive through the arctic...but the drive is about 13 to 14 hours each way from Dawson City to Inuvik). Definately a great drive, but one that would require appropriate research, sufficient supplies, and an acceptable vehicle. We went through 2 spare tires and a windshield on this part of the drive (not to mention it took a year to finally lose all the mud from the truck)

That being said, from Alaska, the main approach is the Taylor/Top of the World highway that begins just outside of Tok, Alaska. If you are cruising, I would presume Anchorage would be the natural starting point. If so, then you just head north on Hwy 1.

However, to me, the greatest part of that trip was the Taylor/Top of the World highway. I have worked, lived, or vacationed in 20 different countries on 4 continents (not as much as some, but quite a bit) and the drive down these highways is one of the most spectacular sites I have ever seen. A portion of the ride is spent driving the ridges along the peaks of mountain tops. On a sunny day, the views are just spectacular. Stunning is the only word I can use to describe it. The only drive I've seen close to it is the Going To the Sun Road in Glacier National Park in Montana. This drive has nicer views and is a bit less death defying :)

So, the destination of Dawson City is neat, but the Top of the World Highway was the jewel of that trip. I'd highly recommend it if you can fit it in somehow.

I've been to Dawson several times and always find it very enjoyable. However, at times it can have a movie set feel to it.

The Top of the World highway is spectacular on a clear day, particularly in the fall. However, it is a seasonal road (as is the Taylor) and maintaining it is a low priority for our Department of Transportation and Public Facilities. The drive up to Dawson from Whitehorse is also very interesting and allows you to stop at several historic sites.

Thanks so much for the info...sounds interesting but I guess it will have to wait for another time. I will however look into the Sun Road in Glacier National Park in Montana as we may be heading there in the future. That's what I love about these boards...one thing just leads to another...keeps life interesting!

DEFINITELY plan to hit Dawson City sometime in the future. We did a cruisetour with HAL, with 3 days on the ship and 8 days on land to the Yukon and Interior Alaska.

Dawson City was our favorite destination. The roads are still dirt, with wooden boardwalks for sidewalks. So many of the original buildings are still standing. It is similar to Skagway without all the jewelry/souvenir shops. I thought it was a typical Yukon town, showing the way folks live there, not glitzy or Disneyland quality at all.

There is some history as well from the Gold Rush Days. Robert Service (Canadian writer) and Jack London (Call of The Wild author) each lived there and their cabins (or replica) are there. The Yukon River runs through. This website gives you lots of information.

http://www.dawsoncity.ca/

And the folks are so friendly. We were walking from our hotel to the post office to ship a box of stuff home. Upon exiting the hotel parking lot, a guy pulls up in a truck and asks where we were going with that big box, would we like a ride? Long story short, he drove us the 4 blocks to the post office.

My sister-in-law loved it so much, she inquired about buying a cafe that was for sale. Found out she was only buying the equipment etc. and would need to rent/lease the building, so she passed. But we liked it so much, we are talking about going back and just staying there for a week.

Don't cross it off your bucket list.;)

Archived