How we spent our day in Cozumel

shecat

Cozumel: We had hoped to get an early start but ended up getting off the ship around 10:00. We rented a 4 door small car with AC at Budget for I think $66 including full insurance. We probably could have found a better deal but was short on time. Maps in hand we headed for Punta Sur Lighthouse. We took the $6 tour. It is well worth it. While waiting for the next tour to the lighthouse a small deer of some sort walks around the concession gift shop area. You can pet it. It is tiny. It likes to eat cookies. The tour truck transports you to the lighthouse. The view from the lighthouse is awesome. You can see dense greenery, a salt marsh and the beautiful blue waters of Cozumel. A small maritime museum is located here too. The truck pickups you back up and the tour guide gives a small history lesson of Mayan people and points out a couple of tiny ruins. Then you stop at the salt marsh and he feeds the crocodiles chicken wings. Back at the car we head further up the highway and stop at a beach for a little while we ventured into the water but not very far. There are plenty of opportunities to stop for photos. We ended up at Coconuts Bar & Grill http://www.islacozumel.net/food/coconuts/ . We had two reasons for stopping here. On these boards I had read about the wonderful view and ambience of the place and also we had a chance to grab two geocaches here. We were not disappointed on either. Hubby got the grilled grouper sandwich and I had the shrimp tacos, both were yummy, especially the sandwich. There are two dogs and a pregnant cat that live on Mexican time there. The view is wonderful the wait staff friendly. We found our two geocaches and picked up a travel bug and left a travel bug. We stopped to fill up the tank I think it held maybe $4. By the way gas is cheaper in Mexico.

This sounds great and we are actually planning to do something similar on our cruise - how much time did you spend at Punta Sur and which route did you take back to the ship? I am trying to figure out how much we will have time to see. Thanks in advance

Hey Shecat!I think you answered my question on another board. I am a geocacher too. That reminds me to pack the GPS now. Last year we found the Crazy Parrot cache and Land, Sea and Air virtual. We are thinking of snorkeling at Dzul Ha and then going to a beach or San Gervasio ruins (there is a virtual cache there) in Cozumel. Our other port is Calica, so I looked up a cache at Playa del Carmen and one or two in Cancun in case we get there. Fun to do on vacation, huh?

I am trying to remember the time line. I think it took about 30 minutes to get to the lighthouse. There is a big sign telling you where to turn. Once you turn off the main highway the road is a hard sand. The car had no problem. It is maybe a 5 minute drive down the sand road. You park and pay for your admission here. This is where the little deer is roaming around. They have two different tours you can take. One is for the lighthouse and crocodile encouter, it is $6. This is the one we took and I think it took total time back to the car maybe 1 1/2 hours. They have another tour can't remember how much, but it is longer and they take you somewhere where you can snorkel. After you leave the lighthouse you will pass several bars the first being the Reggae Bob Marley. There are plenty of places to pull off the road and walk the beach. We did see a couple of topless ladies. Anyway after you get back on the main highway from the lighthouse it probably takes about 15 minutes to get to Coconuts. We turned around and come back the same way.

lisa1234- Playa is lacking geocaches. We did the virtual in town. The two at Coconuts are good ones. We are going back in August and hope to pick up the Crazy Parrot. Geocaching is one reason why we ventured to the other side. That is the beauty of geocaching it takes you places you would not normally go. To answer Vettebuf: Geocaching is like a treasure hunt of sorts. Click on the link and it can better explain it.

Hi Shecat,

:) Great Post. We'll be in Cozumel in August and planned to rent a car and go south to snorkel and beach it all the way around up to coconuts. We were also curious about our timeframe. I guess it depends on how early we're off the ship and how much time spent at each location.

:rolleyes: What about Dzul Ha and then maybe Palanchar (sp?) beach and then up the wild side for the views & food.

I was thrilled to see you mention geocaching. My husband had mentioned he REALLY wants to rent a car and I think I just figured out why... He probably has the local cache plotted out already !!!! We live in the states and we love it here when we have the chance.

Happy Cruising.:p First time cruisers... please feel free to offer advice or tips.

Sounds like you had a great time! Punta Sur is one of my favorite places to go...love the reef.

I haven't been back to the states in a while, so how much is gas there now? Gasoline price here comes out to be about $2.40 a gallon. Wish we had some competion on gas stations in Mexico...it's only Pemex and all the same price. A little gas price war would be great here!!!!

georgiagirls-Sounds like a very good plan. Don't waste time like we did and over sleep. We dropped off a travel bug at the cache close to Coconuts and someone has picked it up. They got to see Elvis, but he had left the building while we were there. We are going back in August. This time we are not missing Dzul Ha!

Solita-I have paid as much as $2.75 a gallon and in my area right now it has dropped to an average of $2.20 a gallon. In some parts of the US they are paying over $3 a gallon.

OH MY GOSH! Guess I am a little out of touch with prices back in the states. Yicks, that sounds scary. I feel lucky to be able to fill up my scooter for about 27 pesos. That lasts me about a week unless I go visit Paradise Beach a couple of times.

• 7 months later...

Archived