Tijon Perfume Tour and Beach??

Miss JAD

Hi,

We will be in St.Maarten in January (Cruise Ship) from 10 am to 7pm. I would like to do the perfume tour at Tijon's but hubby probably wouldn't want to.

Is is costly to go from the Cruise Ship to Tijon's in Grand Cas? Is there a beach close by that I can leave hubby at and then meet up with him to have lunch and enjoy the beach?

Thanks for your help.

Hi,

We will be in St.Maarten in January (Cruise Ship) from 10 am to 7pm. I would like to do the perfume tour at Tijon's but hubby probably wouldn't want to.

Is is costly to go from the Cruise Ship to Tijon's in Grand Cas? Is there a beach close by that I can leave hubby at and then meet up with him to have lunch and enjoy the beach?

Thanks for your help.

There are 2 nice beaches in Grand Case to choose from. Grand Case beach and Petite Plage. Both have places with facilities such as food, drinks, chairs and washrooms. Petite Plage is a 5 minute walk from Tijon's and Grand Case beach is across the street. There are nice beach bars and restaurants only a couple of minutes from Tijon's.

Check http://www.taxistmaarten.com/ for taxi rates.

The reviews I read on TripAdvisor for Tijon were GREAT- and many were from MEN who didn't want to go w/their wives/daughters, but did and LOVED it! I thought that was pretty fabulous... I Really want to take their class with my hubs (and they emailed me right back...), but the timing conflicts with the excursion we're doing... :-( Next time I hope!

I actually did Tijon with my wife and posted a review on TripAdvisor. (And I'm a real, honest-to-goodness person! Honest!) Here's what I can tell you offhand:

1. Taxi from Phillipsburg to Grand Case is about $25 each way (total, not per person.)

2. I think they do their classes at 9 and 3, but they won't do a class unless they get at least 2 participants. They might be able to work around your cruise ship schedule if you contact them in advance.

3. Plan on a total of 3.5 to 4 hours, including travel time. It's about 30 minutes each way. Formal instruction is about half an hour to 45 minutes, the rest of the time is working on your own custom scent. This basically goes on until you're done.

We had a *fantastic* time. I'd love to get a chance to go back and make another!

I actually did Tijon with my wife and posted a review on TripAdvisor. (And I'm a real, honest-to-goodness person! Honest!) Here's what I can tell you offhand:

1. Taxi from Phillipsburg to Grand Case is about $25 each way (total, not per person.)

2. I think they do their classes at 9 and 3, but they won't do a class unless they get at least 2 participants. They might be able to work around your cruise ship schedule if you contact them in advance.

3. Plan on a total of 3.5 to 4 hours, including travel time. It's about 30 minutes each way. Formal instruction is about half an hour to 45 minutes, the rest of the time is working on your own custom scent. This basically goes on until you're done.

We had a *fantastic* time. I'd love to get a chance to go back and make another!

Thank you for the helpful information

• 2 months later...
Would the Tijon class be appropriate for a seven year old girl?

I would say it depends. If she's able to keep track of details and keep notes on what she's doing and, most importantly, interested in perfumes and scents and so forth, I think she'd do just fine. My two concerns would be: how likely is she to get bored, and is she disciplined enough to write down each step as she does it? That's actually important because the 15 drops of this and 7 drops of that and 3 drops of the other has to get converted to larger units in order to make your take-home scent!

Hi Miss JAD - I haven't yet done Tijon, but have it booked in March for me, my husband, and our daughters. Our ship docks at 10:00 as well, and when I emailed John, he suggested a 1:00 class time which would allow us time to grab lunch in Grand Case before the class starts. I'm hoping we'll also have time for an hour or so on the beach as well when we're done. I've heard on these boards that several of the restaurants on the beach in Grand Case will give you a lounger for the day if you eat there, so your husband could probably easily find a spot to hang out on the beach if he doesn't want to join you at Tijon. Good luck and post a review when you get back! :)

Archived