What to do with small balance on gift cards

Simplertimes

So, I hate to waste money and just realized I had several of those Visa/Mastercard/Amex gift cards - leftover with small balances that are basically unusable at stores when buying stuff (I know Walmart and other stores have the capability of putting in different payment types with certain amounts, but that seems like too much trouble).

So, I went on line and got the balances left on all the cards I had stuck away and then went on and applied them to my balance for my April cruise (final payment isn't due until next January). We're chipping in to pay for 4 other people to go, in addition to ourselves, so every little bit counts!

Just a thought for those of you who have remaining balances on those gift cards.

I didn't think banks could cash them. I had about 6 of them and used them all up towards the cruise, which came to about $40.

Restaurants don't take them any more (because of the tips or something) and I usually use them at the store - so if I have a $50 card and spend $45, I never end up using the balance. I think I even have several more in an old pocketbook, so it seems like free money to me! My early saver fare hasn't budged since I booked 2 months ago and I'm not counting on any fare reduction there, so this works too.

My kids (adults) have them to, so I'll remind them to use their balances too. Or give them to me if they're not going to use them.

I have given some gift cards with a remaining balance to local charities to use as they see fit. Ex: the local Hospice is building a new house and they needed household supplies; Make-A-Wish is always helping children get wishes granted and sometimes if a child wants a trip, the family might not even have luggage. Just some suggestions.

Archived