Trip Journal - 7 day Alaskan Explorer on Westerdam

NoobCruise

Another option for orca viewing: there are 3 resident pods that cruise the waters between WA state and Vancouver Island. If you can add a day or 2 before or after your cruise, there are successful orca viewing trips out of Victoria or Anacortes WA (1hr north of Seattle).

I've been with these companies at end ofAug/early Sept. The trips are about 5 hrs so if the orcas aren't closeby you have time to go find them. We saw orcas (with a newborn), minke whales, porpoise, sealions, bald eagles. Check the daily sightings logs:

http://www.island-adventures.com/

http://mysticseacharters.com/index.php

Anyway, just thought I'd post another option to consider .

We were on a cruise 2 years ago in Mid September. Upon entering the Strait of Juan DeFuca going to Victoria, there was at least 80 Orcas spotted, some within 200 ft of the ship. The captain came on every 10 minutes talking about the sightings. At that time of the year, all of the resident orcas-(162) head to the Strait and salmon fish. You will also many seals, Minke Whales and dolphins.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm so glad to re-read your review. Excellent review, beautiful pictures.

I'd also like to thank you for the recommendation for the polartec fleece pants from REI. I purchased them and they are my favorite lounging pants! So nice and warm, much nicer than sweatpants (although they do attract more dog hair, but this is a small price to pay for an awesome dog!)

Your clothes review was perfect. I managed to snag 2 North Face 3-in-1 jackets for my kids at sale prices (and Columbia 3-in-1 jackets for me and DH) because it is now the end of the season.

I finally feel prepared (we bought waterproof Merrell hiking boots and they are as comfortable as sneakers--I love them!).

Thank you again for all your advice.

We were on a cruise 2 years ago in Mid September. Upon entering the Strait of Juan DeFuca going to Victoria, there was at least 80 Orcas spotted, some within 200 ft of the ship. The captain came on every 10 minutes talking about the sightings. At that time of the year, all of the resident orcas-(162) head to the Strait and salmon fish. You will also many seals, Minke Whales and dolphins.

That sounds amazing! What an experience!

I'm so glad to re-read your review. Excellent review, beautiful pictures.

I'd also like to thank you for the recommendation for the polartec fleece pants from REI. I purchased them and they are my favorite lounging pants! So nice and warm, much nicer than sweatpants (although they do attract more dog hair, but this is a small price to pay for an awesome dog!)

Your clothes review was perfect. I managed to snag 2 North Face 3-in-1 jackets for my kids at sale prices (and Columbia 3-in-1 jackets for me and DH) because it is now the end of the season.

I finally feel prepared (we bought waterproof Merrell hiking boots and they are as comfortable as sneakers--I love them!).

Thank you again for all your advice.

I'm so glad you enjoyed it and that it helped you! In all honesty, I hope you wasted your money on the jackets and you don't get to wear them in Alaska ;) But Alaska is beautiful even in the rain!

Thank you so much for this review. I am in the early planning stages for a big birthday in 2014 and Alaska has been pencilled in for years. With the brochures soon to appear it is now time to research which ship and route - your review is the first i've read and what a starting point. Thank you for all the advice and photo's - first purchase a new camera - second jacket, third trousers. Think I will be rereading this again several times over the next year.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Really enjoyed reading your journal we are going on the same cruise June 29th and already booked the Mendhall glacair and whale watching. what we are looking for now is a hotel to book as we are getting to Seattle on the 27th.

Thank you for a great review! 45 days to go... I'm on this exact same trip on June 8th. SO excited!!! I have quite a few pages of notes I took from your review... cant wait to book my whale watching excursion. Wasnt planning on doing one but after reading your post... its a must!

I'm glad you enjoyed it! I'm jealous of those of you who are looking forward to it lol I'd love to book another one, but our vacation dollars are already allocated on land trips for the year. Maybe next year :)

What an awesome review!! I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the pictures and all the information will be truely helpful next month! Thank you so much for taking the time to do this!

We have been planning for years for this trip, 25th anniversary present to each other. :D

What an awesome review!! I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the pictures and all the information will be truely helpful next month! Thank you so much for taking the time to do this!

We have been planning for years for this trip, 25th anniversary present to each other. :D

Happy anniversary! This cruise was to celebrate our 25th too, though our anniversary was actually in Feb 2013, but no Alaska cruises in Feb and DH couldn't get away from work this month or next, so we sailed in Sept. 2012. Have a wonderful time!

Great review! I always love reviews with pictures.

We have been on Alaskan cruises before and seen a lot of things that you have, but this year we are taking my father. He has never been to Alaska and never been on a cruise before. And the best part? We are doing this SAME cruise this Sept AND we have the SAME room you had! lol

Well, me and DH have one of the corner rooms on that floor and my father has the other corner room on the same floor. I see us "running" back and forth from room to room as the ship turns to view the glacier. :)

Great review! I always love reviews with pictures.

We have been on Alaskan cruises before and seen a lot of things that you have, but this year we are taking my father. He has never been to Alaska and never been on a cruise before. And the best part? We are doing this SAME cruise this Sept AND we have the SAME room you had! lol

Well, me and DH have one of the corner rooms on that floor and my father has the other corner room on the same floor. I see us "running" back and forth from room to room as the ship turns to view the glacier. :)

You will love it! Plenty of room in the cabin and bathroom! The bed is very comfortable. And the balcony is awesome! I would love to sail in that cabin again in a heart beat!

Archived