Trip Journal - 7 day Alaskan Explorer on Westerdam

NoobCruise

I could have sworn I've emailed someone here before after clicking their name. Anyway, noobcruiser, if you want to email me at cbrodnik @ gmail dot com whatever you think I would like I would appreciate it. I'm leaving town and haven't gotten to editing my photos yet, but it looks like I got the back of you whale watching boat in with some whale humps. I'll send you back what I may have of your ship or whale watching boat in a few weeks (need to get photos from a friend first too).

I could have sworn I've emailed someone here before after clicking their name. Anyway, noobcruiser, if you want to email me at cbrodnik @ gmail dot com whatever you think I would like I would appreciate it. I'm leaving town and haven't gotten to editing my photos yet, but it looks like I got the back of you whale watching boat in with some whale humps. I'll send you back what I may have of your ship or whale watching boat in a few weeks (need to get photos from a friend first too).

That would be great! I'll email them to you after I dig them out of my 2000 photos lol Thanks! My email is user123 from a private .org server so hopefully it won't go in to spam.

But you close at 7PM, right? Does it work well to call a taxi prior to closing and ask to be picked up at say 7:30 or 8? Are there certain cab lines that are very reliable?

The visitor center closes at 7:30 p.m. daily - and yes, you can call the cab dispatchers and schedule a pickup for any later time in the evening. The recreation area grounds are open until midnight.

There are six or seven different taxi companies that hold permits to operate to MGVC. As a government employee, I'm afraid I can't recommend any particular company over any other.

Just a quick update for anyone following my review. DH is getting a flicker account set up and will upload pics there, particularly the glacier calving. I'll post a link here when it's ready. I will also upload the full size of the pics I have posted here. They look really lame on here but are much better full size. On here, my fog on the shore line pics look very plain, just clouds and an average shoreline. Blown up, they look mysterious with lots of light reflecting off the water.

My review is on hold for a day or two so I can combine reviewing Glacier Bay with posted pics.

Can't wait to see them. Did you guys do any videos?

No, I was afraid I'd use up my memory card with video. I should have anyway. I had a 16G memory card and didn't even use 1/4 of it with over 2000 pics. I had plenty of room for videos.

DH had just bought his camera, upgraded for the trip, with several types of lenses (wide angle, telescopic etc) and was too busy swapping them out lol He also worried about video using up his memory. He was right to be concerned. He had 2 16G cards and used up both of them with about 1600 pics. Obviously, his pics are much better quality lol

I had a really hard time figuring out how to put the pictures up. You put them in Photobucket.com and then copy the IMG number then paste it onto your post. The picture shows up big after you hit the "Submit" button to post your message.

I hope this helps.

Also, I am really enjoying your review. Thank you.

I had a really hard time figuring out how to put the pictures up. You put them in Photobucket.com and then copy the IMG number then paste it onto your post. The picture shows up big after you hit the "Submit" button to post your message.

I hope this helps.

Also, I am really enjoying your review. Thank you.

Thanks! DH has started a flicker account and is getting pics uploaded there. I'm about finished writing my Glacier Bay day. I'll post as soon as he has pics ready to go.

No, I was afraid I'd use up my memory card with video. I should have anyway. I had a 16G memory card and didn't even use 1/4 of it with over 2000 pics. I had plenty of room for videos.

DH had just bought his camera, upgraded for the trip, with several types of lenses (wide angle, telescopic etc) and was too busy swapping them out lol He also worried about video using up his memory. He was right to be concerned. He had 2 16G cards and used up both of them with about 1600 pics. Obviously, his pics are much better quality lol

I know how you feel. I shoot RAW and my files are huge. i can get about 800 on a 16G card. I have 4. I swap them out. I have the lens swap fun too. I'm thinking about bringing my second camera body so I don't have to do so much switching. Not sure about that one.

Thanks! DH has started a flicker account and is getting pics uploaded there. I'm about finished writing my Glacier Bay day. I'll post as soon as he has pics ready to go.

I generally use snapfish but I can't use that account to draw the pictures from to post on here. I still had to put them in photobucket.com and then on to the post.

I hope Flicker works for you. Please let us know if it did.

I know how you feel. I shoot RAW and my files are huge. i can get about 800 on a 16G card. I have 4. I swap them out. I have the lens swap fun too. I'm thinking about bringing my second camera body so I don't have to do so much switching. Not sure about that one.

lol that's exactly what he's been doing all evening for me, converting the raw images to .jpg. He's actively uploading them to flicker right now and my internet is slooooow.

We had booked our flights so that we flew in to Seattle the day before embarkation. I can’t imagine the stress if we had flown the same day we cruised!

Thanks so much for your report. The stayin in Seattle overnight I think is a great idea. At first I was trying to cut costs and fly into Seattle and get to the ship in four hrs, but thought it would be better off staying one night there for emergencies.

I am thinking of Westerdam and appreciated hearing more about it.

Thanks so much for your report. The stayin in Seattle overnight I think is a great idea. At first I was trying to cut costs and fly into Seattle and get to the ship in four hrs, but thought it would be better off staying one night there for emergencies.

I am thinking of Westerdam and appreciated hearing more about it.

If you're interested, I did a review of the Westerdam on the HAL board.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1704697

OK, we've got Flikr working. I think it will be easier to post the links to the albums for our first few days that I tried to add as attachments instead of trying to go backwards and re-do it. I have an album for each day so you can quickly flick through them. On the top right it says "Full screen", click that and it will bring a large image up, then click the "next" button to click through them.

9-1-12 Set sail on the Westerdam

011 Almost to the gangway

9-2-12 Sea Day from Seattle to Juneau

083 We woke up to a cloudy overcast day

9-3-12 Juneau

Now some of my husbands photos. The above were taken by me with a little point and shoot, a Canon Powershot SX130IS and I am truly point and shoot. I don't have the patience for a fancy camera and multiple lenses lol

DH's photos were taken with a Nikon D5100 with various lenses:

a tokina 11-17mm f/2.8

a Nikon 18-55mm f/3.5

a Nikon 70-200mm f/3.5

and a Tokina 100mm f/2.8

He bought the camera just before our trip so was just learning it and was frequently fumbling swapping lenses.

Seattle, taken from our room at the Holiday Inn on Dexter Ave

7986443115_f417081e37_b.jpg

Alaska Cruise_20120831_203657 by Rescue-Diver, on Flickr

Our first night at sea, this is the same moon I have shown in the album of Set Sail, but obviously later at night.

7986442425_784a2cc9a6_b.jpg

Alaska Cruise_20120901_211634 by Rescue-Diver, on Flickr

7986442313_3903aec788_b.jpg

Alaska Cruise_20120901_211932 by Rescue-Diver, on Flickr

His whale watching shots, both humpbacks and Orcas. We didn't get very close to any of them:

Alaska Cruise_20120903_150843

My favorite

7986827359_d33f237bf3_b.jpg

Alaska Cruise_20120903_154549_02 by Rescue-Diver, on Flickr

Some of his Mendenhall glacier pics

7986434013_d5b7ddc4e5_b.jpg

Alaska Cruise_20120903_182607 by Rescue-Diver, on Flickr

7986743539_9f0bb15e48_b.jpg

Alaska Cruise_20120903_182650 by Rescue-Diver, on Flickr

Finally continuing on with my review :)

Glacier Bay was the most amazing day of the cruise and in my mind, boldly takes its place amid the great wonders of the US. I’ve spent years exploring Yosemite National Park. It’s my “backyard” as I was born and raised 45 minutes from the valley floor. DH and I visit year around, a couple of times a month, hiking the backcountry or snow skiing, sometimes just to drive aimlessly through the mountains. My favorite spot on earth is at Glacier Point, where you stand on a point with a straight cliff that drops straight down 3214 ft to the valley floor, with panoramic views of the granite monoliths of Half Dome and El Capitan, and views of Yosemite Falls, Vernal Falls and Nevada Falls crashing to the valley floor against a backdrop of granite wilderness. I’ve toured around the Grand Canyon, standing on the very edge of the canyon cliff and yelling as loud as I possibly could just to hear the echoes. I’ve stood at the top of Niagra Falls, as well as in a boat right at the base, amazed at the tremendous power of the water thundering over the cliff. I’ve stood for hours in Yellowstone National Park, waiting with anticipation to be wowed as a geyser shot as high as a skyscraper in the air right above me. Each of these experiences creates a feeling of overwhelming awe and wonder. It gives you a tremendous sense of being tiny and insignificant in this incredible world. The beauty is breath taking. It’s a FEELING that photos can never impart. You have to go there yourself and experience it to understand what I mean. No matter how incredibly beautiful the photos of these places are, you will never understand until you go.

I have added Glacier Bay to my list of the incredible wonders I’ve experienced.

When we woke up Tuesday morning, we were just starting in to Glacier Bay. Our day started out gray and overcast. The low clouds and mists of fog hanging around the mountain tops created a mysterious calm, an odd intimacy and coziness under our blanket of clouds. We loved it.

7987318497_6725855909_b.jpg

266 Entering Glacier Bay National Park by Rescue-Diver, on Flickr

7987318913_e660504eae_b.jpg

270 by Rescue-Diver, on Flickr

7987326162_b4dcab366f_b.jpg

280 by Rescue-Diver, on Flickr

There was an exciting anticipation of things to come as we quietly sailed towards the glaciers.

7987320157_e8ec5f4042_b.jpg

283 by Rescue-Diver, on Flickr

We could see clear skies ahead towards the Glaciers

7987320947_14131d5e77_b.jpg

287 by Rescue-Diver, on Flickr

This scenic cruising was gorgeous on its own, with steep cliffs dropping straight into the sea and narrow waterfalls trickling down walls of emerald green. In some places, it almost looked like the walls were weeping. We were in awe before we even sighted a glacier.

7987322161_db46187650_b.jpg

300 by Rescue-Diver, on Flickr

I think most people prefer to be at the front of the ship, seeing panoramic views of where they’re sailing into, but we had fantastic views at the back of the ship. It was cool getting our first pictures of the glaciers shot down the side of the ship. We didn’t feel like we were missing anything, because we knew we would have a spectacular unimpeded view as we sailed back out.

We got to see things that those on the bow couldn’t see. One was the sun rise behind us. As I said earlier, we started out with a cold gray day with mists of fog all around. As we sailed down the channel, chugging towards the glaciers, everything behind us was dark and misty.

7987319653_4bfd48ec45_b.jpg

282 by Rescue-Diver, on Flickr

Behind us, the sun slowly rose, gradually burning off the clouds. As the gray blanket started breaking up, beams of light from the hidden sun shot blinding reflections off the water behind us. We were enthralled with the sights from the back of the ship.

7987327354_be4a83c27d_b.jpg

286 by Rescue-Diver, on Flickr

7987321737_d56fc59273_b.jpg

299 by Rescue-Diver, on Flickr

We also watched a whale swimming close to shore, spouts of water springing from the sea as he followed us down the channel. There were several seals in the water that saw us coming and swam towards the ship to play in our waves off the stern. They played in the waves as long as they could keep up, diving in and out of them, and bouncing over them. They reminded me of when our children were small and they played in the waves at the beach lol We were faster though and they quickly fell behind, their little heads bobbing in the sea as they watched us sail away. I don’t think those on the bow saw any of this. I’m glad we didn’t crowd into the bow with everyone else, because we would have missed this. Somehow we both missed getting pics of the seals. I think maybe I accidentally deleted them off the camera not realizing what they were.

As we sailed in towards the Grand Pacific Glacier, we could see it rising above the ship, growing in its grandeur. By the time we reached it, the sun was out in full force and we were peeling layers off, down to tshirts and jeans

7987329354_70184b9115_b.jpg

304 by Rescue-Diver, on Flickr

Chugging towards the Grand Pacific Glacier, taken from the back of the ship. Did we miss anything?

7987323519_d0731568dc_b.jpg

310 by Rescue-Diver, on Flickr

A small glacier we passed on by

7987324321_4d5f9752b6_b.jpg

315 by Rescue-Diver, on Flickr

The closer we got to the Grand Pacific, the less impressive it became. The face of the glacier is quite dirty lol

7987335364_22deb68d37_b.jpg

351 The Grand Pacific Glacier by Rescue-Diver, on Flickr

This one is actually of the water, not the glacier. See the lines in the water? that's where the fresh water from the glacier meets the salt water of the sea.

7987329025_f2831f64fe_b.jpg

353 water demarkation by Rescue-Diver, on Flickr

I love this shot of the guy hand feeding a sea gull...I laid in wait to get that one lol but if you look beyond, that is the face of the Grand Pacific Glacier. That's a solid wall of ice there.

7987336678_732d97f788_b.jpg

363 hungry sea gull by Rescue-Diver, on Flickr

I love how HAL toured us around the glaciers, starting with the least impressive and working towards the spectacular. When we arrived at the face of the Grand Pacific, I was thinking this really wasn’t what I expected. It’s so dirty that if you didn’t know it was a glacier, you probably wouldn’t realize it. I knew glaciers picked up mud and rocks as they carve their way down a canyon, but I expected it to be more on the sides and bottom, not covering the entire field. I was expecting beautiful spires of blue ice shooting out of the mud, not an icy mud bog lol

But then the ship started to turn and Margery Glacier slid into view, the beautiful blues and whites rising out into the sky, reflecting the sunlight. There was the beauty I was expecting lol It's right next to the Grand Pacific, but had been hidden from our view by the ship.

7987340046_5c33da17e3_b.jpg

391 by Rescue-Diver, on Flickr

7987330873_61e8bb2e21_b.jpg

378 by Rescue-Diver, on Flickr

7987338152_2c1d13ef3e_b.jpg

380 by Rescue-Diver, on Flickr

And the mud and dirt are off to the side, which is what I had expected

7987332151_d3e7f6c5bd_b.jpg

381 by Rescue-Diver, on Flickr

7987332909_d4b2f1d0ed_b.jpg

382 by Rescue-Diver, on Flickr

Tell hubby I said great pics. He should get Adobe Lightroom 4 so he can edit and catalog his new pics and then set up a smugmug account. You can direct import from Lightroom into Smugmug and it's much easier. You can make some nice edits to your images in in lightroom. Lots easier than Photoshop.

Archived