Nativeways Rays, Reef and Rum Point Tour v. Stingray Sailing Tour? HELP!

Twinsmom05

We are going to be going to Cayman in November. I've been researching tours and have narrowed it down to two -- Nativeways Rays, Reef and Rum Point tour and Stingray Sailing's tour going to see the rays and reef only. As far as I can tell, the Nativeways tour lasts 5 hours and the Stingray Sailing tour lasts 3.5 hours. Nativeways seems to use power boats and Stingray Sailing has a nice big catamaran. I like the idea of a catamaran as we are traveling with our twin 7YO daughters who have never sailed. But I also like the idea of going to Rum Point, as we have never been there. I've read all that I can find on both tours and can't decide!

PLEASE HELP! Has anyone done both of these tours? If so, what are the pros and cons? If anyone has taken either of these recently, please let me know what you thought. Did I read correctly that Nativeways will drop you off at 7-mile beach on the way back if you don't want to return directly to the ship? Our ship departs at 4pm, so I'm not sure if we would have time for that, though (don't know when the last tender is).

Thanks for your help!:)

I am booked for Stingray Sailing for my November cruise. I love the idea of the catamaran vs the boat. On a boat, you sit with your back facing the water while on the cataman you can sit facing the water. Hanging on the nets. Also, the sail of the catamaran is nice and relaxing. I was undecided between both of these and someone on my rollcall talked me into Stingray Sailing since he has them booked in November for the 3rd time. I figured if he's going back for the 3rd time, it must be good. Plus I'm ok with doing 7-mile beach if we have time instead of Rum Point.

When are you going? We are in Grand Cayman on Thanksgiving Day. Good Luck if you go before. If you go after, I can come back and let you know how it was.

We used Nativeways for their Rays, Reef and Rum Point Tour during our cruise 5 weeks ago and the tour was the highlight of our entire cruise. There were only 8 people on our tour and we all sat up with the captain and spoke to him while he drive the boat. He even allowed my 14 year old to take the wheel for a cool picture.

We were the first tour group out to the Sandbar to play with the Stingrays for the day and had about 20 minutes all to ourselves. It then got very, very crowded when several of the other tour groups got there. Andrew (our captain) was great showing us how to handle and deal with the Rays. Each of us had as much time as we wanted with the Rays. the other tour groups seemed like each person only had a minute or 2.

Concerning the snorkeling, we stopped at a great area and saw so many fish and coral. Andrew saw a lobster on the bottom and took our underwater camera down and took a picture for us. I am not a very good swimmer and he kept checking on me to make sure i was alright.

Rum Point is absolutely beautiful. Lunch was included in our tour. We were shown the menu and our orders were called in whuile we were going over to Rum Point. Once we got there, our food was ready within 5 minutes.

I would HIGHLY,HIGHLY recommend Nativeways for their Rays, Reef and Rum Point tour. You will not be disappointed.

Thank you so much for the reply! What time did your cruise leave? We leave at 4pm so I was a bit worried that we would be cutting it too close. I emailed them and they said it was not a problem. Just curious when you returned.

You are tilting me in favor of Nativeways! I really want to go to Rum Point so that might be the deciding factor . . . . :)

Thanks again!

If you are going to be worried at all about being late back to the port don't go with native. Sometimes they cut it close. i would personay prefer Stingray as you will spend more time with the rays and snorkleing. When you get there you will understand why I said that.

If you are going to be worried at all about being late back to the port don't go with native. Sometimes they cut it close. i would personay prefer Stingray as you will spend more time with the rays and snorkleing. When you get there you will understand why I said that.

thesawch, can you explain why? since I booked Stingray Sailing, I'm curious :confused:

thesawch, can you explain why? since I booked Stingray Sailing, I'm curious :confused:

Beacaue their tour is only to 2 places and not 3 places and its only takes 3.5 hours compared to 5 hours or so on the other ones. Sometimes things don't go as planned and run late or early. Gives you more time to do other thing arpound the port also.

We are going to be going to Cayman in November. I've been researching tours and have narrowed it down to two -- Nativeways Rays, Reef and Rum Point tour and Stingray Sailing's tour going to see the rays and reef only. As far as I can tell, the Nativeways tour lasts 5 hours and the Stingray Sailing tour lasts 3.5 hours. Nativeways seems to use power boats and Stingray Sailing has a nice big catamaran. I like the idea of a catamaran as we are traveling with our twin 7YO daughters who have never sailed. But I also like the idea of going to Rum Point, as we have never been there. I've read all that I can find on both tours and can't decide!

PLEASE HELP! Has anyone done both of these tours? If so, what are the pros and cons? If anyone has taken either of these recently, please let me know what you thought. Did I read correctly that Nativeways will drop you off at 7-mile beach on the way back if you don't want to return directly to the ship? Our ship departs at 4pm, so I'm not sure if we would have time for that, though (don't know when the last tender is).

Thanks for your help!:)

We did the Rays, Reef and Rum Point excursion with Nativeways last month. I have written a detailed review of our experience and have also included lots of photos. If you are interested, you can read my review located at the link below. It may help to answer your questions and give you an idea what to expect.

My review begins at post #137 and ends at post #145.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1704270&page=7

If you have any other questions, just ask!

Beacaue their tour is only to 2 places and not 3 places and its only takes 3.5 hours compared to 5 hours or so on the other ones. Sometimes things don't go as planned and run late or early. Gives you more time to do other thing arpound the port also.

That actually was one of the reasons why I picked Stingray. I did read an earlier review of Nativeway where they ran late and only had a short time on Rum Point and that it was very crowded and expensive. Figured I could always eat and drink on the ship when I got back. Definately need time to look around the port.

Thank you for the info

Just returned on the Legend and used Stingray Sailing. Chip is awesome and down to earth. Very informative and just a in general a great group of people to hang with for a couple hours. He was born in Cayman and is a true native. It was nice having a catamaran with only 11 people instead of boats with 20+ (or 50+ with the cruise ship). Gave us so much more exposure to the rays.

Just returned on the Legend and used Stingray Sailing. Chip is awesome and down to earth. Very informative and just a in general a great group of people to hang with for a couple hours. He was born in Cayman and is a true native. It was nice having a catamaran with only 11 people instead of boats with 20+ (or 50+ with the cruise ship). Gave us so much more exposure to the rays.

Do you have their web site?

Hmmmm . . . you guys are making me rethink Nativeways! Boy, sometimes the smallest decisions can be the hardest! I've been worried about having a problem getting back, particularly since it is a tender port. Anybody else out there that has experience with Stingray Sailing or the Rays, Reef and Rum Point tour with Nativeways? I'd love to hear your thoughts!:)

Do you have their web site?

http://stingraysailing.com/

Hmmmm . . . you guys are making me rethink Nativeways! Boy, sometimes the smallest decisions can be the hardest! I've been worried about having a problem getting back, particularly since it is a tender port. Anybody else out there that has experience with Stingray Sailing or the Rays, Reef and Rum Point tour with Nativeways? I'd love to hear your thoughts!:)

I know if you do a search on these boards there are lots of reviews on both. There was one a few months back that wasn't so favorable of Nativeways. Made me happy that I went with Stingray Sailing. I'll see if I can find it

Edit:

Here is the link. Start at #38. Check out the whole thread though, there are some good pics and reviews too

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1586403&page=2

http://stingraysailing.com/

I know if you do a search on these boards there are lots of reviews on both. There was one a few months back that wasn't so favorable of Nativeways. Made me happy that I went with Stingray Sailing. I'll see if I can find it

Edit:

Here is the link. Start at #38. Check out the whole thread though, there are some good pics and reviews too

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1586403&page=2

Thanks! Can you tell me when you are with the stingrays are you able to stand? We have 1 in our group that does not swim well

Thanks! Can you tell me when you are with the stingrays are you able to stand? We have 1 in our group that does not swim well

As you can see in the photo below, yes, you are able to stand in the water where the stingrays are. The water depth in the sandbar is no more than 3 feet.

Stingray City Sandbar--can you spot the stingrays?

IMG_0319.jpg

If you check out the link which I provided in post #11 , you will see lots more photos of our Stingray Encounter and even a short video clip.

Yes, you are able to stand in the water where the stingrays are. The water depth in the sandbar is no more than 3 feet.

Stingray City Sandbar--can you spot the stingrays?

IMG_0319.jpg

If you check out the link which I provided in post #11 , you will see lots more photos of our Stingray Encounter and even a short video clip.

Awesome! Thanks a bunch I will show her tonight to put her mind at ease

Stingray Sailing all the way!!!

I cannot post pictures right now, but I will as soon as I can...

I am going with them again in May...

My family and I were soooo pleased with Stingray and once we got to the sandbar, even more pleased.....The other "boats" were packed!!!!

Can't wait to get back there....

Only 11 of ya? Wow did you luck out. We are a group of 13 and I'm hopeing to reserve with Stingray Sailing...maybe we will be lucky enough to have the whole catamaran to ourselves. We originally were looking to reserve a private tour but can't find one that is a catamaran. Glad I found this thread though- sounds close enough to private.

Archived