why does Carnival have such a bad "partying" reputation

cruisingreena

no experienced cruiser here BUT.......... if you LOOK for unruly and obnoxious you just might find it.......... look for fun filled and you just might find that too !!!! we had a blast ! not one "bad seed" not one "bad drunk" Im sure a lot of hangovers but everyone we saw was having as much fun as the next ! If you want a child free zone there are those too !

This is what has killed Carnival for me.

Every time I read about post about people wearing this or that in the dining room ruining the elegant atmosphere, I cannot get this out of my mind.

Oh great! Thanks for posting THAT link!

Now I need to boil my eyeballs.

Oh great! Thanks for posting THAT link!

Now I need to boil my eyeballs.

I am about the most easy going guy you will ever meet, I will tell an off color joke with the best of them, even ones that might get you canned if you were at work, but seriously, if I was with my kids in the dining room when that fool was doing that, I would NOT be happy.

Yes, even if it was a hot chick too.

honestly--the word class can be associated with any social level--i.e. lower class, higher class, etc. It does not necessarily have to do with education, except in the term of 'What class level are you in', but does normally have to do with monetary level in the context of most of the posts.

QUOTE]

This was not my opinion. It was the result of internet research and worth every penny.

We all know the meaning...

YMMV

I can understand how the reputation came about. My first cruise was on the CCL Holiday back in 1992. I was 11 at the time. I remember them having beer drinking contests out by the pool. Since then, I think they have made great strides to shed this image and become more of a family friendly line.

They have one of the most strict age restrictions of any cruise line (anyone under 21 must sail with someone 25 or older). My last Carnival cruise was a 3 nighter on the Sensation and I did not experience anyone being real drunk and disorderly. I expect people to be drinking on any cruise line, you are on vacation after all.

Personally, I am just a fan of cruising period. I like CCL, RCCL, Celebrity, Princess and NCL. Haven't met a ship I didn't like. I love the fact that each line brings its own personality. CCL isn't for everyone, but it's important to know a bit about the cruise line that you are booking. If you prefer more of an upscale cruise, don't book CCL and complain about it later. It's your own fault for not doing your research first. It's also not fair to stereotype a cruise line's clientele based on one or two cruises. Like many have said, any line can have drunks. The date that you sail can also influence the passenger base. People need to get over themselves already.

Way back when Carnival started being popular, from all my friends (were were young then) that went on Carnival had nothing but wild stories to tell, fun, fun, fun. I never tried it because I cruise for ports and to see the world and at that time Carnival simply did not have those types of itineraries.

I was just thinking of giving Carnival a try (still many years ago) when the "charming" TV program filmed on Carnival Ships became popular and that did it for me. Even if it was not realistic, that Carnival allowed it to be filmed and shown gave me a definite view of the cruise line at that point in time. It really disappointed me as I wanted to believe folks that Carnival had changed.

Maybe some day I will give it a try, but for now I am into loooooog cruises (over 30 days) and into seeing exotic places in the world.

I am about the most easy going guy you will ever meet, I will tell an off color joke with the best of them, even ones that might get you canned if you were at work, but seriously, if I was with my kids in the dining room when that fool was doing that, I would NOT be happy.

Yes, even if it was a hot chick too.

Well, realistically, you'd be second to me in re off-color, politically incorrect thoughts form the a very polite guy. I don't need games and nonsense in the dining room. Bring me good food competently.

I woulda walked, but then....I probably wouldn't be there in the first place.

I will give you an example of Carnival's partying atmosphere. In 2006 we planned a family cruise on the Conquest out of Galveston with my DD and her DH. Shortly before the final payment her husband's schedule changed and he couldn't go so my best friend said she would go instead. My daughter, 27, has not been out of the house in 5 years with 2 small babies, this was going to be a second honeymoon for her and her husband. First night out she hit the red bull and vodka. I didn't let her out of my sight because she is very trusting. When it came time to go home to our cabins my DH came up to the club we were at and I said, she's yours now. She had a giggling fit in the atrium and passed out. He picked her up, put her over his shoulder and carried her to her cabin. The next day the sun glasses never came off of her face and alcohol never passed her lips for the next 6 days. I also told her every chance I got, People like you give Carnival a bad reputation. I laughed of course. But, all in all, we have never seen any really obnoxious people or drunks. Maybe it's the time that we cruise or something and I hate it when people say that.

lol that was funny....

honestly--the word class can be associated with any social level--i.e. lower class, higher class, etc. It does not necessarily have to do with education, except in the term of 'What class level are you in', but does normally have to do with monetary level in the context of most of the posts.

QUOTE]

This was not my opinion. It was the result of internet research and worth every penny.

We all know the meaning...

YMMV

Are you serious? You are digging a deeper hole. Internet research? ahhahahahahhhahahahah!

I assume you have some type of education, you are just proving with each consective post how education has no bearing on class.

Are their scummy poor people? Sure. Are their elitist, entitled, douche baggy rich people? Sure.

As someone who has been on a river cruise, which is EXPENSIVE, and no kids allowed, I can assure you money does not equal class, unless class to you means a nice suit and a fancy car. Someone posted class means how you treat people, and my god is that true. I got scoffed at for not drinking wine in the dining room on my river cruise, because I prefer coke! Can you imagine! I suppose I have no class in your world....you really should try European river cruising, you would never have to see us low class serfs.

Well, realistically, you'd be second to me in re off-color, politically incorrect thoughts form the a very polite guy. I don't need games and nonsense in the dining room. Bring me good food competently.

I woulda walked, but then....I probably wouldn't be there in the first place.

Good point. I have yet to experience a Carnival dining room, so I will reserve judgement, but if it is OK for some hairy, has been work out moron to strip on a table in the middle of the MDR, why cant I wear shorts and a clean, dark tshirt to dinner?

Edited by twindaddy

when I tell others who cruise that have never cruised on carnival that I sail with Carnival most immediately say they would never cruise with Carnival, due to the excessive partying that goes on.

I dont drink and have never noticed this...and I would notice it if it was around me...I just dont get it.

I've cruises on CCL a few times and never had any problems..In Cozumel all the drunk and partying people at the port weren't boarding the CCL ship ..go figure ..

Because that would also be inappropriate for dinner in a dining room.

Funny. I thought men could wear dress shorts and a polo shirt to dinner. I don't think a t-shirt would be appropriate but I have no problem with dress shorts and a polo. :D

when I tell others who cruise that have never cruised on carnival that I sail with Carnival most immediately say they would never cruise with Carnival, due to the excessive partying that goes on.

I dont drink and have never noticed this...and I would notice it if it was around me...I just dont get it.

Our last Disney Cruise was more "rowdy" then our last Carnival Cruise.

You are permitted to bring your own alcohol on DCL!

Both the kids and some Adults got a little out of line on our last DCL cruise. :eek:

i find that some folks like to put down others to make themselves feel better. If I say the other cruise lines have issues then the line I cruise with must be a cut above. Some folks never grow up. We have had a good time on both lines. I think the cruisers on Carnival are much friendlier and as you stated I have never seen folks falling down drunk or staggering on Carnival. They are just on VACATION and are looking to enjoy themselves. I find RCCL cruisers to be much more stuffy and seem to have a sense of entitlement. When we cruise with RCCL we take more family and friends with us so we don't have to worry about seeing and interacting with friendly fellow cruisers. When traveling with Carnival this is not an issue because there are always many happy fellow cruisers willing to talk. JMO

Personal opinion "BUT" I like Carnival,

I am not lower class,

I am not cruising to judge you,

I do not drink to get drunk,

I do not care what you wear, have, sing, eat, drive, or live,

If you are bothering me with what you are doing, well, I am able to relocate someplace else to continue my vacation.

I go on cruises to enjoy myself, have time with my family, see beautiful blue water.

Will you notice me? Probably not

Will I bother you? Probably not

Are you something considered life threatening enough for me to worry with you? NO YOUR NOT.

I would like to second that. Well said

• 9 months later...

As far as I am concerned, the reputation still stands. When my wife and I were on a week long caribbean cruise on the Holland America Ryndam, the Carnival Legend was docked next to us at Costa Maya. It was FULL of spring breakers, stumbling about the ship.

I enjoy the fact that I can take a HAL cruise during spring break and still avoid that crowd.

FWIW, we are 30, and far from needing walkers.

As far as I am concerned, the reputation still stands. When my wife and I were on a week long caribbean cruise on the Holland America Ryndam, the Carnival Legend was docked next to us at Costa Maya. It was FULL of spring breakers, stumbling about the ship.

I enjoy the fact that I can take a HAL cruise during spring break and still avoid that crowd.

FWIW, we are 30, and far from needing walkers.

WTH(eck), ... do you expect? They were "spring breakers". :rolleyes: Did you think they'd all be sitting under umbrellas with their knitting needles drinking prune juice? :confused:

Put "spring breakers" on most ships, most lines, there's going to be some "stumbling" going on.

Edited by WetToes

If a cruise line offers the type of product that repels spring breakers on spring break, I'm certainly not interested in it. I like fun cruises with youthful, fun people. I like Carnival for that reason. If you prefer the atmosphere on HAL, then knock yourself out.

Carnival has a partying reputation because it once was a party cruise line. That's what made me pick Carnival for my first cruise: the (former) reputation. And as it turned out, it didn't lose the party element completely. There were still things like people high-fiving strangers, exchanging drunken hugs amongst new friends, singing out loud at deck parties, and shouting the ship's name followed by "whoo!!!". That behavior spilled over into bars in ports as well. The "so happy to be on a cruise, I can't help it" atmosphere was really nice. I talked to a number of people, and even the Royal Caribbean fans said they liked Carnival's liveliness.

Having said that, some reigning in of the partying wasn't too bad of an idea. I like a lively cruise as much as the next Carnival fan, but I doubt I'd be intrigued by things like throwing deck chairs into the pool, smashing light fixtures, blatantly sexual PDA, beer bonging, and passing out on public decks. You know, the real spring break partying. In a "closed ecosystem" like a cruise ship, that's asking for trouble.

My observations were only on short cruises on small Carnival ships (Fantasy class). I think when the ship lacks the bells and whistles, people tend to make up for it with their own bells and whistles, if you know what I mean. Anyone care to chime in how the atmosphere was on longer cruises on bigger Carnival ships? Is still the same party-like atmosphere or is it somewhat closer to Holland America?

Edited by LandlockedCruiser01

Our Triumph, we had literally just been given the go ahead to go to our rooms and had just boarded.

Security was on either side bringing a 'mature' woman (ie not spring breaker) to her room who had completely passed out and was asking if she was with us. Security actually turned her card off for the night. She was our immediate cabin neighbor.

We hadn't even mustered yet.

Edited by TwinPrincessMermaids

Give me a lively cruise ship every day of the week. Here in the UK last night there was a documentary on the TV following the passengers on their World Cruise onboard Fred Olsen's Balmoral. The show made the ship look like a Care Home. It put me off Fred Olsen almost immediately.

We were on the Breeze in the Mediterranean in October last year and that was just perfect for us. We are off on the Crown Princess in a few weeks to Norway and I am expecting her to be slightly more sedate but nowehere near the Care Home shown on the TV last night.