Dinner Attire - How Dressy?

Tigerfan85

I read that there are no formal nights and that for ladies, dresses, skirts and blouses or pantsuits are recommended for dinner, but wondered how dressy people get for dinner in the main dining room. Was it mostly pantsuits for the ladies, casual dresses or cocktail dresses?

I read that there are no formal nights and that for ladies, dresses, skirts and blouses or pantsuits are recommended for dinner, but wondered how dressy people get for dinner in the main dining room. Was it mostly pantsuits for the ladies, casual dresses or cocktail dresses?

Let me start by saying we brought too many clothes for pour cruise. Attire is very nice, but decidedly not dressy. For the ladies, very few dresses of any sort -- mostly slacks and nice tops, the sort of thing you'd wear to dinner at a moderately nice restaurant. Everyone looked very good, but no one put on a "show".

For the men, long trousers (no shorts), no sandals, no obvious sports shoes, any collared short. Most men wore dockers or chinos and polo or golf shirts. I took my usual two sports coats and wore one at the Captain's welcome party, and was nearly alone in doing so. I wore the other one once when invited to the Captain's table, but neither of the other two gentlemen at the table did so. Next time on the American Queen, I'll leave my dress shirts and sports coats home.

Betsy took a couple of long-skirted halter dresses (I thnk they cal them bra dresses) which are very informal, and wore them each only once, as they were really too dressy. Next time, she'll bring only slacks and tops. Ladies can get away with dressy sandals - certainly no flipflops of any style. She was also comfortable wearing nice capri pants a couple of times.

On the second leg of our back-to-back cruises, the lecturers were a retired Rhode Island Supreme Court Chief Justice and a hisstory professor, both representing the Lincoln Forum. They brought quite a few members of the Lincoln Forum with them on the cruise. This group (with the delightful exception of the judge, who wore boat shoes and no socks with nearly every outfit) tended to be a bit more sophisticated and accordingly a bit more dressy; one fellow even wore a tux a couple of times (I thought he was a waiter, at first ;)). But, even they had relaxed a bit towards the end of the cruise.

So, the key is, be sensitive to NOT looking like a bum, or a jock, or a hippy, but be comfortable and proud of your appearance, and you'll be fine. By the way, the dress code is not really enforced; one gentleman wore a different tee shirt and sneakers to dinner every night. But, they were nice tee shorts and he looked good in them, he had good poise and manners, and no one took offense.

Also, there is the alternative dining area, the River Grill on the top deck aft, where all the dining is outside, and it's perfectly acceptable to wear the same shorts and tee shirts one wore on tour that day. when there is inclement weather, the dining service from the River Grill is moved inside to the Front Porch, forward on deck 3, where it's always informal (hot dogs, popcorn, ice cream, coffee, juices, sodas, cookies and chips are available 24 hours a day).

Thanks. Your good info will help us pack lighter. We head out Oct. 5 from St. Paul to St. Louis.

Make sure you bring layers for that cruise! St. Paul to St. Louis is on our bucket list, maybe for 2014 (Cincinnati to Pittsburgh next year). When we do, we'll probably book one of the Category D bay window cabins, as they provide an excellent view of the river while not requiring that one go outdoors.

Of course, because we're from Florida, we have less tolerance of chilly weather...:rolleyes:

Just returned home today from the Louisville to St. Louis cruise. The dress comment I can add is "Country Club Casual" Ladies mostly were in pants and tops, some in dresses, but the great majority were comfortable. Men in cotton slacks, print shirts, or polo shirts. There is no need for a coat or high heels. Although the dress standards do state no shorts or jeans at dinner there were still some. Our table of six concluded wear what you would to church in the summer. Enjoy your cruise; the upper Mississippi is beautiful and LOW!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for asking this question, and thanks for the good informative answers. I am considering booking a cruise on the AQ and dress is always a factor. I have taken many cruises, on several cruise lines and usually (ok, ALWAYS) overpack. Jackets and formal wear take up a lot of room in a suit case, wrinkle, and so often, go under used.

Archived