La Goulette / Tunis safe?

I am following this thread as I am on a cruise that stops in Tunis in early Nov. In the Chicago Tribune today:

After an attack on the U.S. Embassy in Tunis, the U.S. Department of State warned Americans to leave Tunisia. Some planned tours to the region have been canceled, but many trips will continue on schedule, and some question whether tourists will be safe. Because the embassy was damaged and some services will not be available, travel experts advise against independent trips at this time. Group trips that rely on a reputable operator with deep experience in the country are not considered at risk.

"Because the embassy was damaged and some services will not be available..." - really? It was damaged how? Accidentally? Nope. Terrorist extremists. Yup.

Are these "reputable operators with deep experience" trained to provide the same services and sanctuary to their customers that the embassy would to it's citizens? I love travel as much as anyone but I don't get this.

I certainly wouldn't risk orphaning my kids for a visit to anywhere that has such open disdain for Americans - why go where I am not welcome when there are so many wonderful places in the world where we are?

Just my opinion.

It is not everyone in Tunisia that disdains Americans, only a minority of extremists. I'm not willing to let such people dictate where I can travel -- as long as I feel relatively safe.

Everyone has a different sense of what relative safety is for them. For me, I'm still okay with going to Tunisia. Others are certainly entitled to feel differently.

Travel, to me, is not something I take lightly. It means the world to me (literally) to be able to travel and see places that I've read about and studied. I've been alive long enough, and interested in history long enough, to already have some regrets about not going places earlier in my life that are, at the moment, impossible (like Libya), and to know that there are things now that I will never be able to see (like the Buddhas of Bamiyan in Afghanistan that were destroyed by the Taliban).

Two years ago, in 2010, I took a cruise with Voyages to Antiquity that originated with several days in Egypt, went through the Suez Canal, and had stops in Lebanon and Syria. Some people told me I was crazy to go, that it wasn't safe. But I didn't want to put off visiting these places any longer.

Boy am I glad I went. Seeing the ruins of the fantastical desert oasis, Palmyra, in Syria is an experience that has to rate near the top of my life experiences. And this weekend, I saw photos online of the fabled covered bazaar in Aleppo going up in flames. What if I hadn't gone in 2010? When would I have been able to go, and what will be left to see by then?

Photos of Aleppo Bazaar in 2010:

P1020814.jpg

P1020815.jpg

Link to image of bazaar in flames: http://articles.latimes.com/2012/sep/29/world/la-fg-syria-violence-20120930

Photos of Palmyra, "Bride of the Desert":

P1020619.jpg

P1020622.jpg

P1020656.jpg

P1020678.jpg

The photos are lovely, and a poignant and painful reminder of how fragile the world's treasures are. I share your passion for wanderlust and try to visit the farthest regions of the world as you do, often kickng myself for not starting earlier, and alternately on my knees in some holy place thanking the Almighty for the gift of all that I have seen and learned during these travels.

You are indeed blessed to have experienced these places, as are we all through your sharing. I bristle each time I enter some far off place wondering if my children's children will also be able to do so someday. All we can do is hope for better times and for more people like you in the world who savor its bounty and less like those who would destroy it.

I truly thank you.

Regards,

Cathy

The photos are lovely, and a poignant and painful reminder of how fragile the world's treasures are. I share your passion for wanderlust and try to visit the farthest regions of the world as you do, often kickng myself for not starting earlier, and alternately on my knees in some holy place thanking the Almighty for the gift of all that I have seen and learned during these travels.

You are indeed blessed to have experienced these places, as are we all through your sharing. I bristle each time I enter some far off place wondering if my children's children will also be able to do so someday. All we can do is hope for better times and for more people like you in the world who savor its bounty and less like those who would destroy it.

I truly thank you.

Regards,

Cathy

Thank you. I wish you happy and safe travels on your upcoming trip. I'm sure it will be lovely, whatever happens with Tunisia.

• 2 weeks later...

We were in La Goulette last week and didn't have any problems. As mentioned before, we had planned to stay on the ship, but MSC assured us that they had four ships in port every week and it was absolutely safe. We did not see an increased police presence. Our cab diver showed us the presiden't palace with a stop for a quick picture and even there, we did not see any police / military.

As a precaution, we decided not to do Tunis, but to got to Sidi Bou Said and Carthage instead. Most women getting off the ship had their knees and shoulders covered, although some wore super short skirts and still made it back safely.

We decided not to speak English while off the ship (my wife is American, I'm German and the kids have dual citizenship), but were not able to stick to that for the entire time. When we were back in the cab after the stop in Sidi, the kids said "Mom, can we now speak English again". I don't think the driver cared.

What made the trip unpleasant for us were the super agressive merchants trying to constrantly push their stuff. It was impossible to even look in the direction of a shop without being subjected to sales pressure right away. I know some of it is cultural, but it seemed they were even more desperate now, as fewer ships / tourists go there.

In case anyone has further questions, let me know.

Edited by Alex71

• 1 year later...

Hi there

I have been reading some of your posts. We are celebrating our 30th anniversary and will be in Tunisia for the day on the actual day of our 30th. Wanting to do something special. we are both 52 and very active and adventurous. Would appreciate any advice you have to offer. I found a portion of your Tunisia post, but could find ones on Sidi Bou Said, Cartage. I appreciate any advice you have to offer.

Thanks

Hi there

I have been reading some of your posts. We are celebrating our 30th anniversary and will be in Tunisia for the day on the actual day of our 30th. Wanting to do something special. we are both 52 and very active and adventurous. Would appreciate any advice you have to offer. I found a portion of your Tunisia post, but could find ones on Sidi Bou Said, Cartage. I appreciate any advice you have to offer.

Thanks

I can't think of anything really "adventurous" to do in and around Tunis. What sorts of sights or activities interest you?

Thanks for taking the time to respond. Well, we like to be active, enjoy the ancient history, perhaps a little shopping for some unique things for home and family followed by a great lunch spot with a great view for a glass of wine or two. You were so descript in your tours and they sounded adventurous while at the same time, making sure it was safe. There have been some bad things on Tunisia, so we are just wanting to be safe, while at the same time, since it is our 30th anniversary actual day, wanting it memorable. Appreciate your thoughts. We are 52 and fit. Thanks again:)

As mentioned, I could not find your threads on Sidi Bou Said and Carthage, so thought I would email you. Is Sidi Bou Said like Santorini as it has that similarity from the pictures. What did you do in Sidi Bou Said or Carthage?

Thanks again

I wouldn't spend a lot of time worrying about Tunisia being unsafe. They are probably the most stable of all the "Arab Spring" countries. I was there for two weeks last fall on a land tour.

There are some interesting options, depending on what you are interested in and if you are going to try to find a private guide or do it on your own.

Sidi Bou Said is pretty; it does have "Mediterranean"/Greek isle look about it. But other than some shopping there isn't a lot to do or see there. It might be a good place for a meal if you could find a place with a view perhaps. I didn't eat there, so I can't help much.

If you opt to go into Tunis, you could perhaps see the mosaics in the Bardo, walk through the souk -- in my opinion it's nothing too great, but I'm not that much of a shopper. In the vicinity is a really nice restaurant set in an old Tunisian-style house that would make for a memorable experience:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293758-d1437888-Reviews-Dar_El_Jeld-Tunis_Tunis_Governorate.html

Alternatively, it might make for an interesting experience to go look at the old Roman aqueduct and find the place where you can actually walk inside it. That's definitely a unique experience, but you'd need a private driver. If you are interested in something like this, I can look up more info.

Hi there. I know my husband would enjoy the aquaducts. Whatever you would suggest if it was your anniversary day. I don't want you to go to a lot of trouble, just value your input as your other threads of your travel experiences sound so spectacular. Thanks so much.

Hi there. I know my husband would enjoy the aquaducts. Whatever you would suggest if it was your anniversary day. I don't want you to go to a lot of trouble, just value your input as your other threads of your travel experiences sound so spectacular. Thanks so much.

Read through these reviews (especially the one titled "Fabulous") which gives a pretty good idea of the experience.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g293753-d2620057-r165361848-L_aqueduc_de_Zaghouan-Tunisia.html

Depending on your timing in port, you might be able to do this first thing and then go back and have lunch in the restaurant I mentioned above and walk through the souk...