need more info on seattle to mt rainier

mikebob

hello, this is my first post. This thread has been amazingly helpful in planning our trip. we are stopping over in seattle precruise (mercury 6/3 )for a full day and a half, someone mentioned a shorter route to mt rainier through morton. I have looked at maps but need the exact route please help since our time is limited. And could we make it to mt st helen would need specifics. If we start out at 8am get back to seattle by 5pm and then hangout at pikes market for the duration. Is this possible since we love nature and would probably skip the educational aspects. thanks mike

Frankly the view of Mt. Rainier is better from Seattle then it is from the mountain itself. Driving in Seattle is a bit of a pain and will eat up a whole bunch of your time. Also, if it is cloudy and/or foggy and you can't see the mountain from Seattle you will have less of a chance seeing it in Seattle.

As an alternative, here is what I would do, your milage may vary. Go to Pike Place market early in the day, about 9am or so. http://www.pikeplacemarket.org/ Have breakfast in one of the Market's restaurants where you can watch the harbour traffic. Then hop on a bus, they are free in the downtown area, and go to Pioneer Square. http://www.cityofseattle.net/tour/pioneer.htm One of the best tours we have been on was actually under the city. Bill Speidel's Underground tour is a delightful trip into Seattle's past. http://www.undergroundtour.com/ Next stop, go back downtown to the Westlake center to catch the monorail to the Seattle Center and the Space Needle. http://www.seattlemonorail.com/ Hopefully it will be a nice day so you can go up the Space Needle and catch one of the best views in the Pacific Northwest. http://www.spaceneedle.com/ The very best time to go up the Needle is about 45 minutes before sunset. That way you can catch Seattle at what the movies call "Magic Light". Its that time when the light is golden. Then after the sun goes down you get to see the city at night.

If you want to experience nature that is a bit more convient I would suggest the shorter drive out to Snoqualmie Falls http://www.salishlodge.com/. You will see a 268 Ft. Waterfall from fairly close up, experince the trails and tall woods and have a wonderful drive through mountain passes. Also you can do this in a morning.

I am probably not telling you what you want to hear, but I think this will put less driving pressure and time pressure on you during your holiday.

Good luck and happy trails,

I live in Seattle and feel like your suggestions are good ones. Tourists might also consider taking a ferry from Seattle to Bainbridge if the weather is good as the views are great on the ferry and it is a nice trip.

I am in Seattle for 3 days before my cruise. I plan on doing a lot of the acitvities above, but I still wanted to see Mt. St. Helen. Once you get there, how long does one usually spend at the visitor's center? like an hour? What is there to see Mt. Rainier, is there a visitor's center or anything or is it just a closer view of the mountain?

Sorry to be off topic...but another quesiton for Seattle locals....My boyfriend is obsessed with railroad and in particular Steam Trains.....I see there are some tourist railroads around Seattle but they only run on the weekend (when we won't be there :( ) Are there any old train stations or places where Steam Locomotives might be out sitting that we could swing by and take some pictures?

Thanks for your help!

Blamar and others you do not know how helpful your info is . I will take your advice and skip mt rainier and probably not even rent a car. thanks again.

mike

ps hi nancy nurse you may be just the person we need since our travels always require stiches and bandaids I will head over to the other site

hello, this is my first post. This thread has been amazingly helpful in planning our trip. we are stopping over in seattle precruise (mercury 6/3 )for a full day and a half, someone mentioned a shorter route to mt rainier through morton. I have looked at maps but need the exact route please help since our time is limited. And could we make it to mt st helen would need specifics. If we start out at 8am get back to seattle by 5pm and then hangout at pikes market for the duration. Is this possible since we love nature and would probably skip the educational aspects. thanks mike

Keep in mind, Mount Saint Helens is 150 miles from Seattle. Trying to make Ranier and St Helens and be back to Seattle by 5 could be done but only if you didn't stop for gas or food or bathroom breaks and also if you drove to the mountain and turned around without getting out of your car. Makes for a long day in my estimation. Don't fall into the tourist mentality of trying to do everything at once. Pick one mountain or the other and have a relaxed visit. The suggestions on this board are wonderful. Just remember...you're on vacation..relax!!!

Archived