What to do while in Nassau with Kids?

momtoty2001

We are taking our kids (10, 9) on their 1st cruise in 10 days and we are struggling with what to do in Nassau?

We were going to schedule the dolphin encounter at Blue Lagoon but for the 4 of us to participate it would cost us over $400 which we feel is a lot for an excursion.

Does anyone know if we paid for the kids and 1 adult to do the excursion can the other adult go and watch?

We also looked into doing a catamaran snorkeling trip but the kids have told us that they are afraid to go out in the middle of the ocean to snorkel. They may feel differently once we practice from shore but I would hate to pay all the money for an excursion and they chicken out.

other than those 2 excursions and possibly doing a beach day at Sheraton is there any other excursions anyone would recommend for a family??

Thank you so much!! :)

Do you definitely want to do an excursion? If you want to save money, maybe you'd enjoy just hanging out in Nassau, or else doing a day pass at a hotel. I haven't been to Nassau yet, so this is just based on what people have mentioned/recommended on here, but many people have enjoyed doing the daypass at the Sheraton. It's $25, includes beaches and pools and I think some non-motorized water stuff (if you search on this board for Sheraton day pass, you'll get tons of info).

A couple of other things I've heard mentioned positively are the Ard Astra Zoo and the Pirate Museum.

I will second the Ardastra Zoo. I've been twice and while it is a fairly small zoo, it has some amazing things. They do a flamingo show which some of the kids will be able to participate in. They have loree feedings, and a few other fun things to do.

We took a taxi from the pier to the zoo, the walked back down the hill to the fish fry area for lunch and made our way back to the ship along the water, and the last bit through town.

There is a bus that you can take, which will cost you less, but with the kids I would go with the taxi.

If you decide on the zoo take a look at their website to find out when the shows/feedings are to time your day out.

Junkanoo beach is within walking distance (10 min or less) and FREE. Not great, but not dirty either. My only complaint was being hounded at the port building by cabbies wanting to give us a ride. Must have been asked by 10 different ones and they kept following me. Very rude. Now, if you want a cab to junkanoo, by all means take one. Won't have any trouble finding one. But a waste of money unless you have trouble walking. There are brown street signs pointing the way. It's not far at all.

DSC_6583.jpg

Archived