Last day on board ship

etrav

Could someone please answer this query for us. We are going on a sector of the World Cruise on Balmoral in 2013 and we arrive at our last port of call (Bangkok, Thailand) early in the morning. Our flight home isn't until after midnight on that day, so will we be able to stay on board the ship until the evening when it's time to go to the airport? Or could we even book an excursion for this last day since the flight back is so late??

Any help with this question would be very much appreciated.

Ellen

We were on a sector of the World cruise on Balmoral last year, finished in Peru, we also had a late night flight.

We had to vacate our cabins by 9, there was a room provided to store hand luggage and trips available for booking; we had an afternoon trip. The ship did feel a little more crowded than usual but we were able to find a quiet corner in the Lido lounge when we wanted it.

We were able to have all our meals on board, with free sitting for dinner, we even went to the first performance of that night's show, and were called to leave the ship at 21.45 for transfer to the airport, for boarding the plane at 12.45 (I don't remember the flight time).

We were worried about how it would all work out, but in the end it was quite a pleasant end to the holiday.

I can only talk about Barbados but you are welcome to stay on board and eat at meal times but you cannot stay in your cabin. You can leave your hand luggage in a safe place, your hold luggage will have already been taken ashore and you can use the showers in the gym, sauna, etc and they will provide towels. It is very relaxed with Fred, compared to other cruise lines that want you off asap regardless when your flight is. Enjoy :D

I took two sectors of the "Balmoral" South America cruise earlier this year and disembarked in Rio de Janeiro. On the last day we were asked to vacate our cabins by 0900 but we could leave out hand luggage in various locations on board. I took a half-day city tour which was excellent, returned for lunch and in the afternoon we were transported to the airport. It was an ideal way to spend the morning for hanging around the ship could have been a bit of a bore. My only criticism was that we were taken to the airport much too early but this inevitable as the coaches were used to pick up the incoming passengers. We travelled both ways on Pullmanair charter flights and found them excellent. Hope this helps.

Thank you very much for all your replies. We feel a lot happier now about our last day on the ship (well, as happy as you can be when your cruise ends!) We should be able to fit in an excursion in Bangkok which is an added bonus.

Many thanks again

Ellen

• 2 weeks later...

As a very regular traveller on Fred. Olsen's cruise ships I was looking at their website and was slightly surprised when looking at the "Ships Captains" section. There seems to have been an enormous change in personnel. Is Captain Olav Sovdnes, the star turn of so many long cruises no longer with the company? It would be interesting to find out. Anyone got any ideas?:confused:

I, too, was most surprised that there has been such a change in the Captains of the Fred. Olsen ships. I gather that Olav Sovdnes has "retired" and is living in Austria. He will be a serious loss especially on long voyages when he was very much the star. His enthusiasm, energy and obvious enjoyment in mingling with passengers will be much missed.

Archived