Sunshine Questions

dct

You will get those that think it's gonna be the greatest thing in the history of civilization, "because everything Carnival does is brilliant". And you will get those of us who look at the plans and foresee a disaster of a ship. Does that mean it will be a disaster? Not necessarily, but it seems like it will be. That's how I feel. In case you don't know, this is not a new ship. The Destiny is being renovated into what will become the Sunshine.

The theater is being shrunk from 3 stories to 2, to make way for more rooms. The aft lounge is being removed, to make way for more rooms. One level of one of the dining rooms is being removed. The aft pool is being removed. A very tiny tiny tiny addition is being made, but not nearly enough to account for the removal of other public spaces and the addition of more rooms. They are going from 3 pools to 2. What looks really nice is the waterfall in the adults only serenity area. The artist drawings make it look beautiful. But honestly, I don't go on a cruise just for a nice waterfall, especially if that area and the rest of the ship will get extremely crowded.

Rest assured that cheerleaders will come on here and say that it won't be more crowded. I guess it's possible, but the odds are against that claim. I would wait for the actual reports after this renovation is done.

The removal and reduction of entertainment venues are also not a very good sign. Some people don't care about the entertainment, so this wouldn't bother them. But to those who like entertainment, they deserve to know that it appears that there will be huge reductions in entertainment on the Sunshine. Again, someone will dispute me on this, and maybe they're right. But the odds are against their claims.

The additions to the ship will be the Cloud 9 Spa, the 2.0 stuff (which may or may not be good things, depending on your taste), some extra pay restaurants, and more bars.

Hello We are thinking about the Sunshine in Jan of 2014. What do you Carnival experts think of this ship. Thanks

I sailed on the Destiny twice and it had the wow factor when it debuted as the first 100,000 ton ship afloat. The new renderings of the serenity area look nice, but I would be wary of the changes and not book it until actual reviews came back. If you're willing to roll the dice, the prices for an inside during 1/2014 are 493 and 516 for ES rate including taxes for the 7 day cruise.

I've never been on the ship but I would be very wary of the removal of so many public areas. P&O Australia's Pacific Jewel suffers from a lack of public areas due to the removal of a major area prior to it becoming the Jewel (and being coverted into a huge spa area) and it's the biggest complaint I hear about the ship. The Destiny/Sunshine may suffer the same complaints. And the remaining public areas might be very crowded with the extra passengers and fewer spaces. I would wait until the ship is launched to hear feedback.:)

Hello We are thinking about the Sunshine in Jan of 2014. What do you Carnival experts think of this ship. Thanks

We sailed it as the Destiny. Least favorite of all our cruises. Too crowded and poorly laid out. At least they fixed all the problems when they launched her two sister ships. Interestingly, the two ships were originally called the Destiny class, until the subtext of "with all the fixes from the Destiny".

Kinda laughed when they spun them off to their own class eventually.

Now that I hear they are adding even more cabins to this already crowded ship, and cutting many public rooms, I won't even consider this ship.

And renaming it adds an additional level of bad luck in maritime folklore.

We sailed it as the Destiny. Least favorite of all our cruises. Too crowded and poorly laid out. At least they fixed all the problems when they launched her two sister ships. Interestingly, the two ships were originally called the Destiny class, until the subtext of "with all the fixes from the Destiny".

Kinda laughed when they spun them off to their own class eventually.

Now that I hear they are adding even more cabins to this already crowded ship, and cutting many public rooms, I won't even consider this ship.

And renaming it adds an additional level of bad luck in maritime folklore.

I will also wait until the reviews come out, however I do not like the report of the entertainment section being cut because there is no replacement for dancing to live music.

The removal or reduction of some public venues and the addition of more staterooms (to the tune of about 400 more guests) are not rumors, but facts. It's clearly presented on the deck plans. The reports that this will make the ship more crowded are speculations, but there is plenty to support that speculation.

But I do agree with Sarge that anyone considering this ship should stay tuned. Wait for the actual reports. If they're good, and it's coming from people who seem to be similar to you, go for it. It will have an appeal to some people, even some who aren't Carnival cheerleaders. But the opinions of the cheerleaders (some of whom may be Carnival employees;)) should be ignored.

Archived