Island to Alaska with Pictures

cworld

Carl....did I miss something, or are you checking on our powers of observation???

How long have you had a countdown under your signature? 45 days, sir? Is this another cruise or just a visit to RodentWorld?

Edit: I just went back and checked it out....this IS the first time it has appeared. So, what's up? :D

Since we changed pages since last night I’ll start with a by putting the last paragraph from yesterday’s post, just to help y’all out. (By the way do you know what the plural to y’all is???)

We waited a few more minutes, Ms. narrated motorcoach driver kept getting on and off, on and off the narrated motorcoach, but she would never start the engine, or the air conditioning. I activated my handy dandy Go, Go Gadget thermometer, and it read 95 and climbing. Now before you think I’m exaggerating (again) and that I’m just a complainer, several people on the bus were grumping about the temperature. It was hot. Finally the last passengers showed up and Ms. narrated motorcoach driver got on the bus counted us and…

…and without a word, she got back off, and hurried back over to the Princess kids. By now, it’s getting close to mutiny. We are ready for blood, (in my head I'm hearing the Eagles playing one of my favorite songs "Somebody's gonna hurt someone, before the night is through...) or at least air.

Seriously, there have been a couple of kids around here die from being left in the car over the last couple of months, and the TV and Radio stations have been running a commercial that says a car with the windows closed can reach 100 degrees inside within 5 minutes, even when it’s only 70 degrees outside. I believe it. It’s hot in this bus, excuse me, narrated motorcoach. I’m so hot I’m forgetting what I’m doing.

A couple of minutes later Ms. narrated motorcoach driver gets back on, and starts in on her spiel about the safety features of this narrated motorcoach. A couple of rude, individuals try to butt in and tell here to start the engine, but she doesn’t hear anything. She just goes on, and on, and on, and on. I’m pretty sure that no one on the whole narrated motorcoach heard a thing she said. Finally she turned around and started the narrated motorcoach. By the way, she did introduced herself, but I’m just gonna call her, Ms. sultry, the narrated motorcoach driver. (And before you get any ideas the official #1 dictionary definition of sultry is oppressively hot and damp. It fits!)

As soon as Ms. sultry, the narrated motorcoach driver, started up the engine, she did also start up the air conditioning. Finally, finally some air. A large cheer went up from the almost full narrated motorcoach. Yes, the narrated motorcoach was filled almost to capacity. That exacerbated the grumpyness problem. We were feeding off of each other. Almost like a school of sharks. The emotions were running high as we left the dock in our narrated motorcoach for the long ride to the dock where… (All y’all)

Part One of our three part glorious adventure would begin. But first Ms. sultry, the narrated motorcoach driver had to show us the town of Juneau. There’s the dump where she takes her junk when there’s too much for the trash guys. There’s the airport (like we couldn’t figure that one out) where she has to go to get anything from the mainland because Juneau, the town she lives in is on an island. By the way, you Alaska first junkies, most airports at real cities have more than one long narrow concrete thingy that those death tubes put their silly little roller dumaflatchies on when they ascend to and descend from the non-earthly realms. (How’s that for some fancy prose.) Then there was her sister’s neighborhood. Then the neighborhood where she bought her first house. Then the swimming pool where she had spent every summer since childhood. Then there was here elementary school. You kinda getting the picture here. This ride couldn’t end soon enough.

Finally, after about a day and a half, we arrived at the dock. We must have seen every house Ms. sultry, the narrated motorcoach driver, had ever even thought about living in. When we stopped, Ms. sultry, the narrated motorcoach driver, turned the narrated motorcoach off, and stood up and started talking. Immediately the temperature in the narrated motorcoach rose 10 degrees. Ms. sultry, the narrated motorcoach driver, talked for about 5 minutes, and then decided she needed to move the narrated motorcoach to another parking spot. So here we go again. I have no clue why Ms. sultry, the narrated motorcoach driver, didn’t just let us off, then move the narrated motorcoach. But she didn’t.

Are you sure your supposed to tip the bus drivers?

Maybe I wouldn't have tipped Ms. Sultry - who wants a tour of someone's life story? But we got the same thing from our van transfer girl - there's local history, and then there's "local" history!

By the way, Juneau's not on an island - they just don't have a road that connects with the rest of the world.

Hi cworld-

I believe the plural of y'all is all y'all. My brother lived in Georgia for a while back in his 20's (looooong time ago) and that's what he claims.

I think in Ms. sultry's case I WOULD NOT have tipped her. She sounds like an idiot. We got the same thing in Ketchikan on one of the horse and buggy tourse. We saw her house, where she walks her dog, where she ....... Geeze, was she boring!!!

Gayle2

Oh...and just FYI, I am a Texas neighbor- Longview to be exact where I grew up-but I'm near the Gulf now.

Keep up the good work...your wife has a talent too, by the way!

We lived in Longview for 4 years. It was my DH's first FAA post. Our son was born there. God bless you for thinking I have talent--I think my real talent is putting up with my DH!!!!! :)

, just to help y’all out. (By the way do you know what the plural to y’all is???)

My very DH, you have been married to me for over 25 years and were hanging around for over 2 years before that for a grand total of about 27 years AND you should know by now that "y'all" is a multi-talented word--it can be used for 1 of y'all and also be used for 2 or more of y'all.

Mrs. Cworld - I was born in Longview in '49 and stayed there until college in Fort Worth and onto Beaumont with DH. Wonder if we knew each other!! By the way, think we all have a talent of putting up with DH!!

Archived