NOLA - Opinions/Ideas Please

LizaMM

I am helping my girlfriend plan her honeymoon vacation. They will be sailing out of NOLA in July and need a hotel for one night pre-cruise and one night post-cruise.

For the pre-cruise....they will be flying in after their wedding on Sunday and will not arrive in New Orleans until later in the evening. They basically need a nice place to sleep since they will head for the pier after breakfast. This IS their official "wedding night" so we were hoping to find a place that would be nice. This is a 2nd marriage and they have been living together so price and location (easy to pier) would rank higher than ambiance in the long run.

For the post-cruise.....The cruise returns on a Saturday morning and they will be flying back home on Sun evening so they have all Sat afternoon and most of Sun in New Orleans. THIS should be a nice, honeymoon appropriate hotel, close to the action etc.

Since I am researching this for them I am turning to my CC friends for opinions and suggestions!!!!

Thanks!

I am going to post this in the New Orleans - Ports of Call as well as Carnival message Boards so I apologize in advance if you are reading this more than once! I am just trying to get the most diversified info as possible :D

We liked the Crowne Plaza newer business style hotel. We were there 4/23 to 4/25 this year. The beds are very comfy. The location is great a short walk (around the corner) to the French Quarter. A short cab ride to the cruise dock - I think around $20 with all our 'excess' luggage.

We did spend the 3 prior nights in the French Quarter. The hotel was more expensive even though we had used priceline. At one time it was probably historically nice but the owners have let it become very shabby. At $180 per night I don't think the blankets should have so many holes that it looks like lace with sheets that slip off the bed.

Thanks!!!

I am going to look into both of those.

I stayed at the Royal Palm Crowne Plaza in South Beach pre-cruise last month and was very happy with that.

Doubletree sounds like a good idea for the pre-cruise night for them!

I don't know about the DoubleTree but with the amount of luggage a couple has for a cruise a 'walk' to the pier could be a bad idea. It's their honeymoon have them take a cab. We are great believers in local transit and walking but learned our lesson in Paris when we took the train from the airport with 2 rollers and 2 carryons. We had no idea of the distance or the amount of stairs involved. So wherever they stay encourage them to plan on a taxi both ways.

Hello,

I have stayed in NOLA a few times and found I loved the "ambience" of the French Quarter.. the best hotel I have stayed in was the Grenoble House. http://www.grenoblehouse.com/about-grenoble-house.html .We actually opted for a suite and it was fabulous! < had our own kitchen, living room and great big closet!> The entire hotel is outfitted in antiques and beautiful colors. It has a pool and jacuzzi with private courtyard for early moments alone too! Continental breakfast! and great security! The staff is marvelous. Ask for Chantel or Mike and you won't be disappointed!

If this is not to your liking .. check to see which Hotel chain is.. and join.. like the Marriot or the Crowne all have a frequent stay club..sometimes there are savings that surprize you! the Crowne Plaza you mentioned is part of the Priority Club/ Intercon Hotel chains and has a frequent club membership for free! http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/pc/1/en/hd/msyla?irs=y

I belong and they always try to go the extra mile for us!

WE always got a rental vehicle thru Hertz who went out of their way to send us to the terminal in a van like celebrities! < for free!>

and if they really would like a treat... stop in at LaMadeleines http://www.lamadeleine.com/LeMenu.aspx for fresh baked pastries, brewed coffee and great sandwiches with ceasar salads! Zowie! already looking forward to going back down this November!

Do tell them I wish the Happy Couple we wish them all the best!:D

Hello,

For my cruise out of NOLA I have reserved at the Fairmont. I have not stayed at this location before but as a Canadian I have stayed at many from this chain in our country (Chateau Frontenac, Chateau Laurier, Queen Elizabeth, etc.). This chain rates higher than Sheraton, Hilton or Embassy, or Westin. You can get a great deal on this hotel by using http://www.easyclicktravel.com It is listed as a "secret" hotel. Deal so good they can't give the name BUT when you look at room types they list one as a Fairmont room - this is the clue so you do actually know what you are buying. Bookit.com is another website with good deals and sometimes sells the Fairmont. Look at the Hotel website first http://www.fairmont.com then check the cheap booking sites. I will be staying there during Mardi Gras and got the deluxe room for 129.00 WOW :cool:

Good Luck

Any hotel near the Convention Center or in the Central Business District will be very close to port AND short taxi ride, streetcar ride (there's a line that runs along the river), or walk (depending on actual property) to French Quarter. I recently got a great deal at the Marriot Renaisance through Priceline. Also know that the Convention Center area is adjacent to the Arts/Warehouse District which is a cool area with a few excellent restaurants (a great seafood place I can't remember the name of) and live music places. I have been to NOLA often and stayed at a number of hotels, and really prefer the ones just outside the French Quarter and these are also closer to port.

If they visit the Riverwalk (shopping area connected to Hilton) there is a cute shop called Lil' Cajun Gallery where there great New Orleans pictures that would make an excellent honeymoon souvenir.

Windsor Court is a wonderful hotel. We stayed last summer and were upgraded from a standard room to a full suite when the learned we were celebrating our anniversary. It is walking distance to everything. :)

Thanks for all the tips!!

We decided to use priceline for the post cruise stay and wound up with the Omni at a great price and they will be staying at the Ritz Carlton post cruise.

Thanks again!!!! Gotta LOVE CC ! DEFINETLY the most brilliant and educated cruise travelers around!!

I have stayed in several hotels while visiting New Orleans. I've stayed in the Garden District, the Central Business District, and different hotels in the Quarter.

My first choice is The Le Richelieu in the Quarter. It's on the corner of Chartres and Barracks. There is free self parking, a small restaurant lounge, and it is in a quiet safe part of the Quarter. The price also is reasonable for a hotel in the Quarter.

I have mentioned it to friends, and they were very pleased about the recommendation. They too have passed along the hotel's name to others.

Archived