Avis in Alaska?

JustThinking23

Thanks for the help Maple and Frugal... We know we are trying too much. I guess we will sleep when we are...on the train or plane back!

The problem (happy problem for us) is that we are planning on meeting a mom with two young kids coming over from Kodiak on the ferry in Homer. We need a car that can hold 6 including two car seats. The only way to do that is to get a minivan in Whittier, or spend Monday going to ANC and getting a van and then driving back down. The only way to get the minivan in Whittier is to return it there too (they won't rent a van one-way out of Whittier). I know, I know, our friends could just fly to ANC and meet us there, but it ain't gonna happen that way. It may be that the whole 'meet up' thing won't happen, and then everything changes again.

Monday's trip to Seward is because we are big ASC fans, we want to dip our toes in Resurrection Bay, and because we have the time Monday before heading to Homer. We wanted to do a Kenai Fjords or PWS trip too, but just can't fit it in. The suggestion to head straight to Homer instead and get out on a small boat there has a lot of merit and is being considered carefully. Exit Glacier is a good suggestion too - that we probably could add if we go to Seward. There is not a real deadline for getting to Homer, so we will take our time on the way there. Tuesday, we drop our friends at Aleyeska in the afternoon but can probably skip lunch and the tram in order to make it back to Whittier. We are dealing with a need to be back in Seattle later in the week for another event, so we have made this whole adventure more compressed than we would like.

I appreciate the advice. There is nothing like boots on the ground to help get a feeling for the logistics.

Archived