Avis in Alaska?

JustThinking23

Hi,

Still trying to plan my trip for August!

I would like to rent a car when I fly into Fairbanks, spend a couple of days there, then drive to Denali for a couple of nights, then drive to Seward for a few nights, and then drive to Whittier, drop off the car and get on the ship.

I have not been able to make a reservation with a drop off in Whittier. I have tried the Avis website, Avis 800 number, a communication to the Avis-Alaska website, calling the Whittier Avis office and calling the Fairbanks office. There seems to be alot of confusion as to why this the case, but apparently they still trying to figure how much to gouge the tourists and haven't posted rates yet and do not expect them until after the first of the year.

My questions; :confused:

Does this happen every year?

Is there anything else I could do to try and get a reservation to Whittier?

This will be our first visit to AK, and I am trying to not spend too much time in transit and trying not to see the whole state in a week.

I may be over thinking things, but if I can't return the rental in Whittier, I may change up the itinerary from:

2 nights Fairbanks, 2 nights Denali, 3 nights Seward (drive to Whittier) to:

2 nights Fairbanks, 3 nights Denali, 1 Night Anchorage, (train to Whittier), 1 night Whittier.

Thanks for your help!

Your problem may be the time of year. Sometimes when the cruise ships stop docking, the auto rentals close. Just guessing.

We have done flying to Fairbanks, rented from Avis, spent one night there, drove to Denali and spent 3 night inside the park (a once in a lifetime experience!), then to Anchorage and spent a night there. The train to Whittier is a nice scenic trip - so that might be an alternative for you if you continue to have problems connecting to Avis at Whittier.

You will love the trip. Alaska is a fabulous state.

B. Cole

The Avis agent in Whittier is the Harbor Store which is a general store about 2 blocks from the pier. I believe that they are the seasonal agent for the Avis franchisee in Anchorage and if you contacted that location they may be able to help you.

I have contacted the Whittier location and they were nice, but unable to make a reservation.

I wonder if the lease is up and that they may not have a location there next year if they are not taking reservations now. Unless of course this happens every year and I just do not know that.

I do have a minivan reserved from Avis from Fairbanks to Anchorage that I hope to just change drop off location once they figure things out.

If Whittier is not an option, I have a cheaper reservation from Hertz from Fairbanks to Anchorage for a large SUV.

I would just have to plan my itinerary different for a drop off in Anchorage vs Whittier and I don't think I can be patient enough to wait for January!

I may be over thinking things, but if I can't return the rental in Whittier, I may change up the itinerary from:

2 nights Fairbanks, 3 nights Denali, 1 Night Anchorage, (train to Whittier), 1 night Whittier.

Thanks for your help!

Is there a priority for Fairbank? Overall, with only a week, it usually "isn't". Have you called Avis in Fairbanks direct? I have never seen a one way drop to Whittier from there, only Anchorage. First suggestion is to find out if it is even available. Calling direct will answer this. Second, most flights come into Fairbanks in the evening, so essentially only one day there. If you were to just fly into Anchorage with a car rental, it would probably be an overall better plan, and have the option to include Seward and Mat Su that both have a shorter distance.

Whittier, is definately no place to overnight- with limited time. So the second itinerary could perhaps be reworked.

It only takes an hour to switch cars in Anchorage. Many times it is way cheaper to just rent a one way Anchorage Whittier/Seward for only as long as you need it. Using a round trip Anchorage, the rest of the trip can offer significant savings.

Is there a priority for Fairbank? Overall, with only a week, it usually "isn't". Have you called Avis in Fairbanks direct? I have never seen a one way drop to Whittier from there, only Anchorage. First suggestion is to find out if it is even available. Calling direct will answer this. Second, most flights come into Fairbanks in the evening, so essentially only one day there. If you were to just fly into Anchorage with a car rental, it would probably be an overall better plan, and have the option to include Seward and Mat Su that both have a shorter distance.

Whittier, is definately no place to overnight- with limited time. So the second itinerary could perhaps be reworked.

I have not booked plane tickets, so everything is still able to be reworked.

Fairbanks was not a main priority, Denali was. Flying into Fairbanks allows for a quicker trip to Denali and to not backtrack on the driving.

I have talked to the Fairbanks office twice, and they gave me the January date. They did not mention a problem with Fairbanks to Whittier.

I had not tried to only reserve Anchorage to Whittier, but I just tried that and it also did not work.

I had planned to not really visit Anchorage at all this trip. I had picked overnighting in Whittier so that I could do that Major Marine tour from there instead of the Seward trip.

Thanks for your advice!

I have not booked plane tickets, so everything is still able to be reworked.

Fairbanks was not a main priority, Denali was. Flying into Fairbanks allows for a quicker trip to Denali and to not backtrack on the driving.

I have talked to the Fairbanks office twice, and they gave me the January date. They did not mention a problem with Fairbanks to Whittier.

I had not tried to only reserve Anchorage to Whittier, but I just tried that and it also did not work.

I had planned to not really visit Anchorage at all this trip. I had picked overnighting in Whittier so that I could do that Major Marine tour from there instead of the Seward trip.

Thanks for your advice!

Overall, backtracking in Alaska, can certainly be a big plus, you can see and do so much in both directions of the Parks Highway. Your only priority is Denali park and Prince William Sound? Then I wouldn't even consider Fairbanks, you are adding llimited fllights and considerable costs with a car rental. It still is NOT clear, if you asked, specifically IF Avis Fairbanks rents Fairbanks/Whittier cars? You also will be VERY limited staying in Whittier, I suggest you find out about the lodging there. An alternative, may be Girdwood. There certainly are one way Avis, Anchorage/Whittier cars, have been for years. You will NOT need any car in Whittier, so, again, rethink your plans, as even though you have not plans for Anchorage, it still would be a car rental pick up/drop off and Railroad option for a Whittier transfer. You could include Seward with Denali and easily do a Prince William Sound boat tour day of embarkment with a round trip Anchorage. Added cost savings with purchased coupon books and a cheaper round trip Anchorage car rental.

So the Fairbanks Avis will rent to Whittier. Except that you can't right now. From anywhere. Nor can you make a reservation FROM Whittier either. I am still wondering if this is standard procedure for this time of year or an indication that maybe there will not be a location in Whittier next summer...

The flying into Fairbanks vs Anchorage will probably be decided by airfare. I haven't seen any fares to jump on yet, but there are some flights to Fairbanks that I like the times and layovers. I have alerts set up for both airports.

If I can just drop the rental in Whittier and get on the ship, then I really think that I will go from Denali to Seward and only to Whittier to for embarkment.

If not, then I will need to go from Anchorage. Train does sounds beautiful...

Maybe I just need to be patient. Most things I am not booking until at least the coupon books come out anyways.

We were thinking of extending our stay & renting a car in Anchorage after the Princess Northbound cruise and land tour in June 2013. Is the ANC airport the only place to rent a car? Are there worthwhile 3- or 4-day driving trips or would it be too much time in the car? Any suggestions are welcome.

Is the ANC airport the only place to rent a car?

there are rental offices in town as well. Look at expedia or the web site of any major rental company.

Are there worthwhile 3- or 4-day driving trips or would it be too much time in the car? Any suggestions are welcome.

Denali is only a 5hr drive (plus stops). Homer too. What do you consider worthwhile or too much time in the car ?? Check out the drives listed in this site. There are suggested stops and sometimes video for each drive as well as travel times. Perhaps borrow an Alaska travel book from your library to learn what sights and activities are available so that you can make an informed choice.

http://alaska.org/driving/magnificent-drives.htm

We were thinking of extending our stay & renting a car in Anchorage after the Princess Northbound cruise and land tour in June 2013. Is the ANC airport the only place to rent a car? Are there worthwhile 3- or 4-day driving trips or would it be too much time in the car? Any suggestions are welcome.

If you are going to be ok with a cruisetour and very extended times in transit, time in a car is way superior. Just stop when and where you wish to break up any transit. Can see and do way more too.

With you already doing a cruisetour, be sure it is what you want to take advantage of in Denali park, I would suggest the entire time on the Kenai Peninsula, at Homer and Seward or Seward and Matsu. You need to find out WHAT your touring priority is and what these areas can offer you. IF you are willing to fly If the cruisetour doesn't start/end in Fairbanks, then look at Fairbanks, Could add an Arctic adventure, with plenty of Fairbanks sites.

• 2 weeks later...
Looks like the Avis site is allowing Whittier pickups for next summer now. $150 one way fee added to any rental that does not show in the initial listing of rates. One way fee seems to be the same regardless of length of rental.

THANK YOU so much!

I managed to grab a reservation. Price not so good, but at least I have a reservation. Other means of transportation to Whittier (train or bus) will be multiplied by 5 (my family size).

I will try and check prices and look for coupons to add to this reservation.

Now it seems the one way fee is $125. There may be pricing adjustments still being entered in the system for next year.

Something I have been unable to find out is whether you can take a rental car on the AMHS ferries. Thinking about heading out of Whittier to Valdez on the ferry to start a grand circle driving tour. I can't find places to rent a car in Valdez near the ferry dock, so we would have to get the car in Whittier. Does anyone know if there are rules related to taking rental cars on the ferry?

Now it seems the one way fee is $125. There may be pricing adjustments still being entered in the system for next year.

Something I have been unable to find out is whether you can take a rental car on the AMHS ferries. Thinking about heading out of Whittier to Valdez on the ferry to start a grand circle driving tour. I can't find places to rent a car in Valdez near the ferry dock, so we would have to get the car in Whittier. Does anyone know if there are rules related to taking rental cars on the ferry?

I've taken rental cars on ferries.

Recently there were some posts claiming some rental agreements do not allow this. The easy solution would be to call Anchorage rental offices and get the direct information.

Listings http://www.anchorage.net

Thanks for the suggestion BQ.

Avis corporate said they had no restriction against taking cars on ferries. I was still skeptical.

Avis Alaska responded that they allow their cars on the AMHS ferries, and provide one way rentals from Juneau, Skagway, and other cities where the ferry is the only viable way in or out. I did not get an answer from the Whittier location, but they are closed for the season, so that does not surprise me.

I have not seen the actual rental agreement, but it looks like this is allowed and common place. I think I might carefully consider the LDW coverage though.

• 2 weeks later...

I maybe a little tardy but I wanted to add that an overnight is Whittier can be really nice. There are not many places to stay but the Inn at Whittier is lovely and right by the cruise ship dock. If you want to drop your rental car in Anchorage you can save the location drop off fee and train down to Whittier. Major Marine coordinates their tour departures with the train arrival. Whittier also has a few night little places to eat, the locals are really friendly and there are nice walking trails. It would definately by a relaxing way to take a break between a self-driving land trip and getting on a cruise.

I'm looking for comments (BQ? Others?) on our planned 2 day whirlwind tour of the Kenai next summer - we arrive via cruise ship in Whittier on Monday and will be picking someone up in Homer on Tuesday morning. Do I have times right? Can this be done?

Monday: Arrive Whittier 8:00 AM Pick up rental car from Avis

Drive to Seward (2 hours + tunnel time)

Alaska Sealife Center (3 hours)

Drive Seward to Homer (4 hours)

Overnight in Homer

Tuesday: Drive Homer to Glenwood (3 1/2 hours)

AWCC (2 hrs)

Aleyeska Tram, lunch (2 hrs)

Portage Glacier Lake Cruise (2 hrs)

Drop Rental Car back in Whittier after 5:30 PM tunnel opening

Train from Whittier to Anchorage at 6:45 PM

Thanks in advance for your local advice. Our plans continue to evolve.

Do I have times right? Can this be done?

Monday: Arrive Whittier 8:00 AM Pick up rental car from Avis

Drive to Seward (2 hours + tunnel time)

Alaska Sealife Center (3 hours)

Drive Seward to Homer (4 hours)

Overnight in Homer

Tuesday: Drive Homer to Glenwood (3 1/2 hours)

AWCC (2 hrs)

Aleyeska Tram, lunch (2 hrs)

Portage Glacier Lake Cruise (2 hrs)

Drop Rental Car back in Whittier after 5:30 PM tunnel opening

Train from Whittier to Anchorage at 6:45 PM

Thanks in advance for your local advice. Our plans continue to evolve.

Here are my two cents. But first, good on you for trying to do as much as possible in 2 days!

Avis doesn't open until 8am so you'll probably have to wait for the 9am tunnel opening.

I assume you're big sea life fans since you're making that detour to Seward. You're driving right past Exit Glacier ... no interest ?

I'd allow a little more time for the drive to Homer to enjoy the scenery .... the Kenai River at Cooper Landing, beach access at Clam Gulch, the church at Ninilchik, and the volcanoes if you have a clear day. You'll have lots of daylight so take advantage of it and enjoy the drive.

I believe Avis closes at 5pm so verify that time or check out their after hours dropoff policy.

I don't think you have time for everything on Tue unless you leave Homer at 6am! Maybe do the Glacier cruise first since the other activities don't have specific hours. And skip the tram if it's cloudy.

You need to make the 5:30pm tunnel in order to return the car and make the 6:45 train. This is what Tue looks like now (Homer to Girdwood 7:30-11:30, noon cruise, alyeska tram and lunch 2-4, awcc 4:30 - 6, tunnel 6:30). Something needs to go if the train is a must-do. Of course, the weather might make the decision for you.

Consider dropping the car off in Anc instead ... the one way fee is high but it will give you more time for leisurely sightseeing, and it removes the stress of meeting the tunnel and the train. Plus the Seward leg is the scenic train ride. Hope this helps.

I too think you are trying to do just a tad too much.

The sealife center is nice, but if it were me I would try to get on a boat and see sealife in the wild. Maybe you can find something in Homer? Danny J boat ride to Halibut Cove that evening or something else?

Also, one of the best parts of Turnagain Arm will be what you miss (between Girdwood and Anchorage) if you only go as far as Girdwood.

I too wonder if you shouldn't try to return the car to Anchorage. It sounds like there will be three of you. I think the drop fee is about $150. I think the drop fee will be about the same (or less) than three train tickets from Whittier to Anchorage. Plus, you have a lot more time that way, avoid backtracking to Whittier and cutting yourselves short on sightseeing.

Hi,

Still trying to plan my trip for August!

I would like to rent a car when I fly into Fairbanks, spend a couple of days there, then drive to Denali for a couple of nights, then drive to Seward for a few nights, and then drive to Whittier, drop off the car and get on the ship.

I have not been able to make a reservation with a drop off in Whittier. I have tried the Avis website, Avis 800 number, a communication to the Avis-Alaska website, calling the Whittier Avis office and calling the Fairbanks office. There seems to be alot of confusion as to why this the case, but apparently they still trying to figure how much to gouge the tourists and haven't posted rates yet and do not expect them until after the first of the year.

My questions; :confused:

Does this happen every year?

Is there anything else I could do to try and get a reservation to Whittier?

This will be our first visit to AK, and I am trying to not spend too much time in transit and trying not to see the whole state in a week.

Thanks for your help!

I believe Hertz is the only one-way car rental in Alaska. I am using them to do pretty much the same itinerary on land as you- renting it at the Fairbanks airport but I am actually returning it to a location in Anchorage 4 days later.

Archived