Advice On Excursions

firsttimealaska

Thanks to all of you experienced cruisers, my family of 7, ages 8-68, are booked on 6 day land tour/7 d southbound Celebrity Summit starting July 16th in Anchorage. We have an extra day in Anchorage at the beginning, and an extra day at Vancouver at the end. We are well on our way to planning the excursions, but I have some questions and would love your advice.

First, we are hoping to do flightseeing over McKinley. My mother heard that the snow is mushy in July and that the glacier landing isn't worth the extra money. Any thoughts on that?

Next, the family is trying to decide on a river raft trip in Talkeetna as a group-no one wants white water. Is this wonderful and beautiful, or too slow for my 11 and 14 yo sons, and not worth the time?

Juneau has so many choices that sound wonderful that we are overwhelmed. The Glacier View Kayaking sounds beautiful and peaceful. Will my parents (67, 68 yo) be able to kayak themselves? Should we spend the extra money on the Mendenhall Glacier helicopter trip or save it for Misty Fjords later in the week?

ISP also sounds quite wonderfull, and a day for whale cruising or fishing. Any advice on operators?

In Ketchikan the Neets Bay Bear Watch has captured some of our imagination, the other group is holding out for the Misy Fjords Flightseeing. Advice on the Bear Watch in particular? My mom has her heart set on seeing the bears feeding on salmon.

Thank you so much for all of your great advice. I have loved this site and really have learned a lot from you all!

Firsttimealaska,

I appreciate your questions and will be waiting for the answers from our friends out there........

With so many of you traveling I was curious if you had looked into the Toursaver book. I ordered mine last Tuesday Or Wednesday and it had already made it's way to Florida by Friday. We will be using a lodging coupon by Denali, a flightseeinbg over McKinley, and the Orca Cove Kayaking. Also looking into a rafting trip and gray whale watch cruise in Seward. This book is saving us lots of $$. :p

Here is what my family is doing in the ports we are both going to:

Juneau - Helicopter ride/dogsled with Costal Helicopters - ask for Lisa

Ketchican - Misty Fjords floatplane with Southeastern Aviation - ask for Jim

ISP - Whale watching with F.I.S.H.E.S. - contact Marjorie @ fishes@hoonah.net

This is what we have decided to do. Hope this helps. Every tour provider has been great.

I just saw your message and hope that you have already found out how to purchase a Toursaver book. Check them out at toursaver.com. You might want to check with the different tour companies as to what is available for your dates before you purchase the book. I hope this helps.

I'm a coastal Californian, and it's hard to recommend between glacier helicoptering and Misty Fjords flightseeing. I don't see snow-covered mountains, or snow at all, so that was a real treat, and the glaciers are like another world, especially the craggy ones. The flightseeing is so pretty, with all the mountain lakes and waterfalls, which we don't have anywhere near like that here, and the walls of green, which we do. After my third trip, I've finally (duh) realized that maybe all of the snowy areas are not as exciting for someone who is around it more than I am. But the glaciers are still fascinating, especially if you read the history or listen to the naturalists.

First off - the toursaver offers little for Inside Passage only visitors. Research fully if this is a benefit for your interior touring? Call for availability of bookings?

As for a ski plane landing at McKinley, it is excellent if not only for the experience. I have gone in August and the snow wasn't "mushy". You don't go for the snow, you go for the landing experience and close up scenic viewing. :)

The rafting in Talkeetna is so so in my opinion, but mostly enjoyable.

Your parents may be better off with the Mendenhall Lake canoe. My opinion only the glacier helicopter landing is superior to Misty Fjords, but do try and do both. Vastly different.

You are too early for Neets Bay- peak is August, Anan has an earlier peak. this is your only opportunitiy for bears eating salmon, costly fly ins. :)

Archived