QM2 crewman hospitalised in USA

capnpugwash

There was a post concerning the re-routing of the ship a couple of weeks ago to land a seriously ill member of the QM2 crew. I got an update last week and it seems that he suffered some kind of severe cardiac problem and is still paralyzed but stable, he remains in a US hospital. He has a history of cardiac problems and in order to get a new contract recently he had to sign a waiver which means that he has no insurance coverage for this matter and that Cunard have no responsibility for him either. Signing the waiver merely made him eligible to continue working on board and the alternative would have meant that he would have stayed in the Phillipines.

There was a post concerning the re-routing of the ship a couple of weeks ago to land a seriously ill member of the QM2 crew. I got an update last week and it seems that he suffered some kind of severe cardiac problem and is still paralyzed but stable, he remains in a US hospital. He has a history of cardiac problems and in order to get a new contract recently he had to sign a waiver which means that he has no insurance coverage for this matter and that Cunard have no responsibility for him either. Signing the waiver merely made him eligible to continue working on board and the alternative would have meant that he would have stayed in the Phillipines.

Thank you for the update. My best wishes for the crew members recovery. Is there any way we can help?

maybe his ship mates will help with the health costs and return to his home

My understanding is that health cost in the US are covered for a destitue patient, and that crew members must deposit funds to secure return to their homeland prior to employment. Please correct me if I am mistaken. Thanks -S.

We were on the ship.The crew member,we were told,had a stroke.We retraced our heading for 7 hours where a canadian coast guard boat took the patient and a ships doctor and nurse aboard.WE all wondered why no helecopter? a faster trip for the patient.They do it all the time in the Bearing sea,and Canada have these copters as well,Hope all is well.

How come they told you what was wrong with the crew member? We were on the QV in the med when a crew member had to be airlifted off. They wouldn't say (even in general terms) what was wrong other than they needed emergency surgery. Even when we did the behind the scenes tour to the hospital they wouldn't elaborate. Naturally, I was very curious and would have loved to hear the details!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

We were on the ship.The crew member,we were told,had a stroke.We retraced our heading for 7 hours where a canadian coast guard boat took the patient and a ships doctor and nurse aboard.WE all wondered why no helecopter? a faster trip for the patient.They do it all the time in the Bearing sea,and Canada have these copters as well,Hope all is well.

Maybe it's not the "faster trip" that's important (once the patient is stabilized)...but rather the safest mode of transport. Helicopter rescue at sea puts many at risk, and if it's not in the best interest of the patient, there is no reason to attempt such a rescue. Ship to ship transfer ain't no walk in the park either.

Archived