I'd like to do laundry on the Princess when we board...any tips?

jaspertl

Be careful if your load is a bit large when using the tabs. Mine didn't dissolve and wads of soft soap got caught and stuck to some pants and a blouse. It dried that way in the dryer because I didn't see it. Also agree with dryers not very hot, 48 minutes and most of the clothes were still damp although as mentioned load must have been too big for machine. Each laundry room on the Coral had two large sized ironing boards and irons. Big demand right before dinner, especially formal nights, wives getting those shirts fancied up. :) All considered, I did better doing my own laundry, ship bags were too small and didn't hold enough. With a precuise vacation we started with a load, and in 15 days had more. Next time I will plan on doing more laundry and not lug around one of the heavy suitcases onto the plane and off and again onto the ship. I think it would be easier, IMO.

Well, since we're on the topic, and someone might find it by searching...

The Island has Maytag Neptune stacked washers and dryers in the guest laundries, a buck each to wash and dry. A typical mixed load (washer full but not packed, khakis, polos, jeans, socks) should dry in the default time, but may take a bit longer. I would not use a dry detergent in those machines - I happen to have a tiny bottle of Tide HE for just such occassions. Two *very large* ironing boards (really amazingly nice) and Wal-Mart-grade steam irons, on timers, with spray bottles of water for misting. All in all, I can think of *WAY* worse places to do wash than bobbing along on a cruise ship, although I can think of better things to do than wash.

Eric

When I was on the Sun Princess in summer of 2000, they had stacked apartment-sized washers and dryers, but there was no charge to use them, if I recall correctly. I do remember that the dryer took *forever* and I finally had to give up and dry my one pair of twill slacks in the shower on the clothesline. There was a charge for detergent.

On the Star Princess in 2003 and on the Caribbean Princess in 2004, there were larger machines, just like in my apartment building.... commercial grade, but nothing fancy. They worked much better... even dried my clothes! Those did have a charge (all quarters) but I cannot recall what it was... I think it was a dollar to wash and to dry.

I cannot find those detergent "tabs" anymore locally. I used to use them all the time, but to solve the soap residue, I'd crumble the tabs up in my hand before adding them to the machine. I never had a problem after that. Now, since I cannot find them, I just put a measured amount of my favorite, Tide, in a snack-size baggie, for each load. I just grab a bag and my clothes, and go! Almost as handy as grabbing the tabs.

Jaspertl

Toni:

Dinner would be great but we have eight in our party so it may be tough. Perhaps we can at least meet for a drink one night. We have the traditional dining first seating how about you? We will be in cabin B438, which is on the other side of the ship towards the front from you.

Cheryl

I was just on the Regal (May 8th sailing) and used the 'bag special'. It was run twice. The first time about four days in and then again on the 6th day. It was actually a very good deal. I had originally filled the bag to what I thought was full and our room steward said "no, no, no ... more full". He helped us roll the clothes and stuff the thing to almost bursting. We were able to get ALL our laundry done on day six at a cost of $15. It was GREAT!

The cost of the washers and dryers varies from ship-to-ship. They're free on the Royal and Regal with the soap coin-operated; coin-operated machines on other ships.

I recently returned from a 21-day Royal Princess cruise. I used the "bag special" twice and did laundry twice. I found that going at about 4:00PM was an almost perfect time to do laundry. People were starting to get ready for dinner and the machines were free. I was completely done by 5:30PM.

Were the machines coin operated on the Island Princess or were they free?:confused:

A buck to wash, a buck to dry, about $7 for the gint pina colada to get me in the mood to do laundry on vacation.

Eric

At the beginning of our cruise on the Royal, I thought I<d have the laundry room to myself. Not so. Seems many people spent a lot of time ashore before boarding and the laundry room was full. But as others have said, having a good drink along the way helps:)

Archived