Classic Crossing

EdAway

Thanks, kasurg! We were in Waterford quite a few years ago; maybe there's something missing in my gene pool, but the crystal doesn't do much for me. I am looking forward to Cork, as it looks to be a pretty interesting little city and we've never been there before. Have also been to Peggy's Cove - even more moons ago...back when the rocks were new, I think.

Have you used the SS excursions or explored on your own in your stops? Wish we'd caught that journey with the northern Scotland stops - sounds wonderful.

Denyse- What a terrific experience! I was quite surprised, looking up some St. John's info on the net, to find they have high rises. Shows what a parochial view I have of the world, I guess...I expected some teeny little fishing village sort of place. There's a good book - name escapes me, naturally - that details the Newfie experience during 9/11 when so many planes were grounded there. More of that "warm and welcoming..." Canadian hospitality.

We were on a trans-Atlantic crossing in 2001;on 9/11 we were off Greenland. Our wonderful captain sailed around so we could receive CNN as much as possible. When we docked in Halifax, a city that opened its houses to stranded fliers, we were greeted by a RCMP in full glorious dress at the bottom of the gangway and he was playing (expertly) bagpipes. American flags flew everywhere and I swear the US dollar was at an even more favorable exchange rate that day. The Nova Scotians' hospitality and genuine concern helped lessen our shattered nerves. I will always remember that Canadian welcome.

Hi Winner,

Was your 2001 cruise on Seabourn by chance? We had a lone bagpipe at the bottom of the gangplank when we re-boarded the Pride in Nova Scotia after our shore excursion. He serenaded us as we sailed away, and it has left an indelible memory of that lovely city.

Best,

Denyse

Great info - we'll check out that restaurant our first night in London!

Hubby reminded me of a good place to buy Scotch and other liquor just down the street from the hotel. When you leave the court yard make a right on to Holbourn it is about a block or two.. the store is called "Oddbins"

He was able to get a good bottle of Scotch that they don't sell here in Canada. ;)

LHT28: Nice recommendation - duly noted!

I'm wondering - and maybe this would have been better as a separate thread -but does anyone have any ideas/experience as to what the chances are on this crossing for Northern Lights?

Archived