Head cover in Izmir?

I know this might not be the right board, if so I apologize in advance...

We're doing a Med cruise on the Legend next spring. Does DW have to wear a head cover in Izmir? We only plan to walk around and go to the bazaar.

Thanks

dk

We're doing a Med cruise on the Legend next spring. Does DW have to wear a head cover in Izmir? We only plan to walk around and go to the bazaar.

Thanks

dk

Does she have to, no. Would it be a good idea to help blend in and be less conspicuous, yes.

When we were in Izmir last June, walking around the bazaar, we noticed very few women with head covers. Many of the shops we went in, the women did not have head covers. When we went to the Blue Mosque, the Imam provided my wife with a head cover and put it on for her. Even as a female she was allowed on the first level reserved for the men during prayer.

Tom

Thanks

dk

http://www.journeywoman.com/ccc/ccc-t2.html

Check this site for foreign dress that is acceptable or not.

Turkey is not actually a Muslim country, although about 90% of the inhabitants are Muslim. The state does not impose any restrictions on dress, and is in fact against women covering their faces/heads in public buildings although has not done anything about this.

In answer to your question, as Izmir is a very touristy area, you will find visitors from many nations, most of whom will only cover their heads because it's hot, as you would anywhere that the sun is beating down! As said before, again, as you would in anywhere, you will need to dress modestly if you plan on visiting a place of worship.

Hope you enjoy Turkey, we've been there several times and found it to be beautiful and interesting. The locals are among the friendliest we've come across on our travels, but be careful in the bazaars and watch for pickpockets, and very persistent salespeople! :)

No, i lived in Turkey for 2 years and never ever "covered" unless visiting a mosque, which if you are touring and chose to go to a mosque (i highly recommend, they are beautiful) they will actually have some available to let you use.

Izmir is a popular tourist destination for Europeans, you will not stick out like a sore thumb, the people who reside there are accustomed to tourists.

Shopping in a local bazaar, not in a tourist-visited location

DSCN0517-vi.jpg

DSCN0521-vi.jpg

In a mosque (or as known locally camii)

withthescarf2-vi.jpg

turkey086-vi.jpg

Turkey is not actually a Muslim country, although about 90% of the inhabitants are Muslim. The state does not impose any restrictions on dress, and is in fact against women covering their faces/heads in public buildings although has not done anything about this.

In answer to your question, as Izmir is a very touristy area, you will find visitors from many nations, most of whom will only cover their heads because it's hot, as you would anywhere that the sun is beating down! As said before, again, as you would in anywhere, you will need to dress modestly if you plan on visiting a place of worship.

Hope you enjoy Turkey, we've been there several times and found it to be beautiful and interesting. The locals are among the friendliest we've come across on our travels, but be careful in the bazaars and watch for pickpockets, and very persistent salespeople! :)

That is so true, Turkey is a secular country and the people are incredibly hospitable, in 2 years that i lived there (2004-2006) i only had 1 local gentleman ask me about George Bush and it was a light-hearted conversation. I had more people pushing tea and food on me than showing interest in my political views.

And yes be careful not to get sucked in by pushy salesmen in shopping areas, they might try to lure you in by offering tea but it is best to politely say no (trust me they know what it means) and move on unless you are genuinely interested in buying whatever it is they are selling. I had 2 guys follow me for quite a while in Istanbul trying to get me to look at carpets, even after i explained that i was living there and already had a carpet.

Buy some Turkish evil eye, some Turkish Lokum, and have some Lahmacun or Doner for lunch with some kazandibi or baklava, yummy! I miss the food.

You will see them everywhere, either as jewellery, wall hangings or ornaments. Usually blue, either glass or plastic eyes. When our kids were small the shopkeepers used to come out of their shops and pin tiny plastic eyes onto their clothes with safety pins "to keep them safe".

The eye is actually for luck (to keep the evil eye away). I have one in my front porch to keep my house safe, and one over our bed to keep us safe whilst we sleep!!! They make lovely gifts and souvenirs.

Turkish Evil Eye = nazar boncuk - it is said to protect one from evil, or even against those who might be jealous of you or who might be coveting your belongings/job/success/lifestyle. Here are some from my collection. I have a ton of them. Sometimes the guys in the bazars will gift one to you if you buy from them. The glass ones are most authentic, i only bought glass.

8118134060_7b8d8042bc.jpg

8118133828_7877b597b4.jpg

I LOVE the evil eyes and still occasionally wear the ones on safety pins that we were given us in the shops. I also bought a keychain and plan to buy more when we return.

I also love the food and the Efes beer is really good.

But what is Turkish Lokum?

Lokum is usally called Turkish delight candy.It's semi-gelatin and comes in

different flavors. Try it before you buy it and do not buy a pre-packaged box because it will be stale. Have them make up a box/bag of fresh lokum.

Izmir is one of the most modern cities in Turkey. It is a city that lives off trade, industry and tourism. I was already surprised how modern the people were 20 years ago when I met many youngsters from Izmir on a cultural exchange. They were wearing bermudas and tight-fitting jeans, etc. This was not what I was expecting. Since then, we went to Turkey many times.

I agree with the other posters that turkish people are very friendly and relaxed. They will not be in your face about religion, politics, etc. I always try to dress a little on the modest side in Turkey (something up to the knee, etc). Although turks are very modern I would not suggest wearing hotpants or other clothing with "bits hanging out".

I always have a scarf with me in my handbag for visits to mosques. Sometimes I use it, sometimes I don't. I look around what the locals do. I have noticed in every muslim country that whenever I get the scarf out of my bag, it is very much appreciated and it is a conversation-opener. We have had many occasions where locals came up to us and started showing us around because they could see we were interested and culturally aware.

Archived