This is probably a silly question...

I all depends on where you snorkel. If you go from the shore, it will be shallower. It really doesn't matter once you are in water over 6 ft. deep as you won't be able to touch the bottom no matter how much deeper the water is. The snorkeling vest is a very good idea for less than confident swimmers.

If you go to Grand Cayman on your cruise. Stingray City trips are often described as a snorkel trip, but the water at the site is shallow enough for adults to be able to stand. The good thing here is that it is a sand bottom and you won't hurt anything by standing on it, unlike a reef where standing is very damaging to marine life. Never touch the coral.

keep in mind that snorkeling is basically just floating face down. if you can float with ease you likely don't need to be a great swimmer; but if you have doubts, then you just wear a vest that keeps you on the surface.

agree - typically, most snorkeling is done in 6'-15' of water, but i've also snorkeled in water upwards of 80' deep - because the visibility was so good you could see fine that far down.

and, no, it's not a stupid question! :p

This may be a bit more information than you want but...I'm a scuba instructor and used to teach skin-diving skills as well. Snorkeling is so simple and fun for folks who do it, that it is easy to over look a few very basic things that will make his first experience a lot more fun, 1. good equipment and 2. a little practice.

Go to a scuba shop and get a well fitting mask and a comfortable snorkel. Believe me all masks are not created equal, no matter the price and generally the rental equipment you get from the excursion people will not be that good. Again, it’s the fit not the cost. Rentals will have a limited number of different fits, kind of like going bowling and they only have one size of shoes.

Second go to the pool and play with your new mask, snorkel and fins. Taking that first breath with your face in the water is sometimes not that easy. Playing in the pool is way less stressful than in the ocean on your first trip.

Have a great honeymoon.

Kent

Also, many resort dives may require you to wear a life jacket when snorkeling (Jamaica offers it...Cancun required it when we went!). This will help if your fiancee isn't a good swimmer. I prefer not to wear one when I'm snorkeling as I'm a good swimmer and always feel like a "cork" bobbing in the water if I wear a jacket. But my DH wears one because he feels safer that way...

• 2 weeks later...

another thing to consider is that you are FAR more bouyant in salt water than in pool or lake water at home.. that, coupled with a vest, should give her the confidence needed to enjoy the snorkeling experience..

Archived