Getting nice grilled salmon in Alaska

bertrande

Hi all,

I'm off to Alaska come 30 July 2005 onboard the Radiance of the Seas. I've been drooling with the thought of tucking into Wild Alaskan salmon ever since I booked the cruise and read with a fair bit of consternation another post (only today) which said that cruise ships only serve farmed atlantic salmon!

My question is this. I am booked on shore excursions on each of my port stops and a salmon cookout is not on my itinerary. Is there any way where my DH and I can actually get to eat wild alaskan salmon? Are there accessible restaurants in Alaska (i.e. near the ports) serving them or something? We are thinking grilled or otherwise cooked salmon as opposed to smoked or canned salmon (although, how easy is it to get canned alaskan salmon on our port stops?). Alternatively, will we be able to get the same in Vancouver, where we're spending 4 days pre-cruise?

Any info would be greatly appreciated! Many thanks! :D

We just got back from our cruise, so I will see if I can answer your question...We went to two salmon bakes..One in Junuea that was pretty good and one in Liarsville in skagway that was REALLY good..I understand that anyone can attend these bakes as the tour guide says lots of folks from town go regulary. How you would get there I really don't know as we were on a tour..the one in lairsville wasn't too awfully far from town though...As to restaurants...there are several in each port and almost all of them offer salmon in one form or another,..also, I saw every kind of canned salmon sold almost everywhere..You should have no problems with that..

We are sailing with HAL this summer. They issued a press release in April promoting "a new Alaskan culinary experience", that will, according to the release, include 50 new salmon recipes on HAL's Alaskan cruises. The promotion is called "Going Wild for Salmon". Based on your post, and the post you referenced, I sent an e-mail to HAL's PR department this morning, asking if the salmon on the ship will be wild salmon or farm-raised. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but I would be disappointed if the salmon on the ship is Atlantic salmon.:confused:

We are sailing with HAL this summer. They issued a press release in April promoting "a new Alaskan culinary experience", that will, according to the release, include 50 new salmon recipes on HAL's Alaskan cruises. The promotion is called "Going Wild for Salmon". Based on your post, and the post you referenced, I sent an e-mail to HAL's PR department this morning, asking if the salmon on the ship will be wild salmon or farm-raised. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but I would be disappointed if the salmon on the ship is Atlantic salmon.:confused:

Thanks elmtree! Guess I will keep my eyes peeled for salmon at the ports! :D

Landlubber, as mentioned, I'll keep you informed once I've found out where to get nice wild salmon without going to the bake. When are you sailing? I wouldn't be surprised if HAL (or any cruise line for that matter) serves farmed salmon! :(

According to HAL's PR department, the salmon they will be serving on their Alaska cruises is wild!:) Good news, in that regard anyway, for HAL cruisers. We will be boarding the Ryndam on July 31st, after a one-week land tour. All of our excursions are booked, and our first night on the ship we will be dining at the Pinnacle. Really looking forward to it! :D

Just returned from the Star last week. We did a floatplane and salmon bake in Juneau which was one of the highlights of our trip. It's the floatplane and Taku Lodge excursion. We didn't want one of those crowded, touristy salmon bakes and this one was perfect. We landed on the river in front of Taku Lodge (right across from a glacier). The Lodge only accommodates about 25-30 people and the salmon was started over alderwood once we arrived. Everything was great. Had plenty of time to take a nature walk - hosted by the son of the owner. While having dinner we were given a history of the lodge and it's various owners. This is a pricey tour but well worth it. Views of the glaciers from the plane are spectacular.

According to HAL's PR department, the salmon they will be serving on their Alaska cruises is wild!:) Good news, in that regard anyway, for HAL cruisers. We will be boarding the Ryndam on July 31st, after a one-week land tour. All of our excursions are booked, and our first night on the ship we will be dining at the Pinnacle. Really looking forward to it! :D

Landlubber I'm jealous! Looks like I will have to drop RCI's PR Dept an email although they aren't very good at answering these things!

kodykatt, wish I had signed up for a salmon bake - i just thought it was silly eating salmon when I'd almost certainly be served salmon onboard the ship. Little did I know that it would be farmed salmon! :(

Archived