Celebrity Reflection - Nov 1, 2013

Schplinky

Guys, there are a number of people on the main roll call who have been asking about transfers. You might try posting there and see what happens. I asked folks a while ago to let us know and we'd post about transfers, but I didn't get much response. I know most have other things on their minds months out from departure, so I'm going to post on the main roll call again. Let's see what happens.

Thanks for the suggestion to check out the main site......We will do that this weekend. Getting closer and closer every day!:)

Thanks for the suggestion to check out the main site......We will do that this weekend. Getting closer and closer every day!:)

Welcome back! Was afraid some people posting early here had fell away or cancelled.

Sent from my Samsung Note II on the T-Mobile 4G LTE network using Tapatalk Beta 4

Welcome back! Was afraid some people posting early here had fell away or cancelled.

Sent from my Samsung Note II on the T-Mobile 4G LTE network using Tapatalk Beta 4

Yep, we are still alive and kicking! Just very busy with work...as everyone else is. We are getting very excited and thanks to Bart I think we found a transfer to the port Chihuahua....sorry port Civitevechio..or whatever the heck its called! :)

We are staying in Hotel Smeraldo just south of the Pantheon. I think I saw from the Reflection website (thanks bart) that there are 6 other couples there. We are planning to fly in Wednesday night and then do the sites all day Thursday. Kim hasnt been to Rome before so I am trying to prioritize for him...not that it will be the last time we are there since so many cruises depart from there.

Anyway, I'm rambling after 2 glasses of wine..... Can I get that drink package at home?

Yep, we are still alive and kicking! Just very busy with work...as everyone else is. We are getting very excited and thanks to Bart I think we found a transfer to the port Chihuahua....sorry port Civitevechio..or whatever the heck its called! :)

We are staying in Hotel Smeraldo just south of the Pantheon. I think I saw from the Reflection website (thanks bart) that there are 6 other couples there. We are planning to fly in Wednesday night and then do the sites all day Thursday. Kim hasnt been to Rome before so I am trying to prioritize for him...not that it will be the last time we are there since so many cruises depart from there.

Anyway, I'm rambling after 2 glasses of wine..... Can I get that drink package at home?

This is going to be a fun cruise. You guys are halfway between where Lee and Mike are staying and Trastevere where Walter and Iain and Bobbie and I are staying (just across the Ponte Sisto bridge). I told Bob to make a list of the places he wants to revisit or see for the first time and we'll prioritize. Or try to. I always make lists of restaurants, places to see, etc, and then we always just let serendipity take over. Sometimes it's just fun to sit in a bar (what we'd call a coffee house) and just watch the passing parade.

And lets face it almost ANY man looks great in a good tux.

Randy

You are so right. I tried on one of my dinner jackets the other day and I thought - damn you look good (JOKE!!!)

I *think* I will take my own but not sure.

This cruise will be pretty hot (temperature and humidity wise) and I always regret putting on all the stuff - I never wear ties and that bowtie always seem so tight ...

BTW - i have always wanted a "real" bowtie as opposed to the clip-on - does anyone know how to tie on and can teach me?

At least being dressed up leaves you with a couple of good pics of the cruise right. ;)

So under 10 weeks to go now - which seems like forever in my world - so we just booked a quickie one night from Seattle to Vancouver on Princess in the middle to make things a bit more bearable.

BTW - i have always wanted a "real" bowtie as opposed to the clip-on - does anyone know how to tie on and can teach me?

We plan to do this also. Sit near us; you'll likely look better in comparison. I hear there are tons of youtube videos on it but I hope to be an expert before the cruise.

You are so right. I tried on one of my dinner jackets the other day and I thought - damn you look good (JOKE!!!)

I *think* I will take my own but not sure.

This cruise will be pretty hot (temperature and humidity wise) and I always regret putting on all the stuff - I never wear ties and that bowtie always seem so tight ...

At least being dressed up leaves you with a couple of good pics of the cruise right. ;)

So under 10 weeks to go now - which seems like forever in my world - so we just booked a quickie one night from Seattle to Vancouver on Princess in the middle to make things a bit more bearable.

Just buy one at Harry Rosen, they will be more than happy to show you how to tie one on ( no pun intended! )

Edited by Oliver2309

Sure, rub it in... you've already had another cruise this year. :-)

We plan to do this also. Sit near us; you'll likely look better in comparison. I hear there are tons of youtube videos on it but I hope to be an expert before the cruise.

Lee, I talked to Iain about what to pack or how much we wanted to dress up for this cruise. Typically we just pack some ties to go with our slacks and dress shirts. I'm thinking I may pack some blazers or dinner jackets that will work to mix with our dress clothes selection. Maybe a bow tie or three will crawl into the luggage.

How do you guys pack for two to three weeks cruise and pre cruise if you're not flying first class? We're in Italy one full week before November 1st. Its not going to be all warm weather until we get far south. More clothes. I really thought we would skip the whole dress up thing in an effort to save space. We're planning one suitcase each and a carryon weighing less than 8 kg. I assume we will go to a specialty restaurant on formal nights. Bill and I just returned from twelve days in NJ with family. We each had almost 50 lbs and that was all mid summer clothes.

So what's the packing secret?

How do you guys pack for two to three weeks cruise and pre cruise if you're not flying first class? We're in Italy one full week before November 1st. Its not going to be all warm weather until we get far south. More clothes. I really thought we would skip the whole dress up thing in an effort to save space. We're planning one suitcase each and a carryon weighing less than 8 kg. I assume we will go to a specialty restaurant on formal nights. Bill and I just returned from twelve days in NJ with family. We each had almost 50 lbs and that was all mid summer clothes.

Ours is to use the laundry. There will be by-the-bag specials. Also, why such a light carry on? Who are you flying

Just buy one at Harry Rosen, they will be more than happy to show you how to tie one on ( no pun intended! )

Men wearing measuring tapes around their necks scare me - what if they want to measure my inseam :D

That is a good problem to have. Unfortunately we only have enough time in Rome to go eat at our usual little pasta place and check out some hot priests.

I believe in rolling up clothes - they come out relatively wrinkle free and you can stuff your suitcase to the weight limit.

We always take backpacks as our carry-on - that is great for heavy and odd shaped items (by that I mean shoes) - speaking of shoes - stuff them with underwear and socks if you put them in the suitcase. Shoes alone can eat up half your suitcase though (running shoes, sandals, patent leather shoes for tux, dinner shoes, maybe flip-flops - that is a whole suitcase right there).

If your suitcase or carry-on case has outside pockets - stuff your flip-flops in there.

T-shirts and other cotton items are quite heavy - they are good in the carry-on because it makes your suitcase lighter.

You can wash your delicates every few days and hang them up in the bathroom on the rope - however esp on a humid cruise like this they will take a while to dry.

Natural fibers are not your friend in this case - the more unnatural the lighter and easier to dry. We will be sweating a lot - I hope - so quick-dry gym type shirts are great because you can be wet/dry within minutes and they weigh nothing and are wrinkle free.

A few ideas to ruminate on.

Men wearing measuring tapes around their necks scare me - what if they want to measure my inseam :D

That is a good problem to have. Unfortunately we only have enough time in Rome to go eat at our usual little pasta place and check out some hot priests.

I believe in rolling up clothes - they come out relatively wrinkle free and you can stuff your suitcase to the weight limit.

We always take backpacks as our carry-on - that is great for heavy and odd shaped items (by that I mean shoes) - speaking of shoes - stuff them with underwear and socks if you put them in the suitcase. Shoes alone can eat up half your suitcase though (running shoes, sandals, patent leather shoes for tux, dinner shoes, maybe flip-flops - that is a whole suitcase right there).

If your suitcase or carry-on case has outside pockets - stuff your flip-flops in there.

T-shirts and other cotton items are quite heavy - they are good in the carry-on because it makes your suitcase lighter.

You can wash your delicates every few days and hang them up in the bathroom on the rope - however esp on a humid cruise like this they will take a while to dry.

Natural fibers are not your friend in this case - the more unnatural the lighter and easier to dry. We will be sweating a lot - I hope - so quick-dry gym type shirts are great because you can be wet/dry within minutes and they weigh nothing and are wrinkle free.

A few ideas to ruminate on.

You didn't ruminate on electronics and other gizmos