Back from the Splendour of the Seas - Review and Photos

Libby1787

• 1 month later...

I am trying to book the Splendour of the Seas for June and have been getting conflicting answers regarding if there is a basketball court on board from RCCL and this site. Can anyone who has been on this ship and knows for sure tell me? This is a deal breaker for my 15 year old son. Thanks.

I am trying to book the Splendour of the Seas for June and have been getting conflicting answers regarding if there is a basketball court on board from RCCL and this site. Can anyone who has been on this ship and knows for sure tell me? This is a deal breaker for my 15 year old son. Thanks.

No basketball court :mad:

Hi Marie,

I apologize that it took me so long to write you back. I don't have any upcoming cruises booked so I rarely log in. Hopefully soon though!

In response to your questions:

1. I'm not sure. I want to say that you have to take the People Mover, but I'm not 100%. I know that walking is an option, but it's quite a walk, especially with luggage. Once you get off the People Mover, there are free shuttles (make sure you get on the RCCL shuttle) which take you to the ship, but it is a very quick ride, maybe 1 minute. My parents decided to walk it. You can also take a taxi straight to the ship.

2. It was one bottle per person.

3. The ticket booth at Piazzale Roma was fairly easy to find. It was raining cats and dogs and we still managed to find it. Once you exit the People Mover, stay on the sidewalk and walk in the direction towards the Grand Canal and train station. It is just a quick stroll from the People Mover. It is marked with the ACTV and ATVO signs.

I hope this helps! Have a wonderful time aboard the Splendour!

Wow! Thank you for such a great review! I just booked my cruise today. I did a similar itinerary before but it's been a while since I've sailed RCCL. A few questions...

1. There used to be a shuttle bus from Piazza Roma to the ships, but this was pre-People Mover. Do they still offer this service or must you take the PM to the shuttle bus?

2. Was it one bottle per person or cabin when embarking?

3. At disembarkation, I'm taking the same USAir flight you took. Was the booth to buy return bus tickets easy to find? I was there last year as a port stop, but didn't need to look for the ticket booth.

Thank you in advance.

Marie

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hi Lori! Thank you! I have my review bookmarked on my work computer so once in a while I browse through the pictures just to remember how much fun I had...but sshhhh, don't tell my boss! :)

I honestly think we really lucked out with the weather. Venice was the coldest, but for the most part, it was gorgeous and sunny. The temps were probably in the low to mid 60s. On the day we boarded the ship, it was super foggy, as you can see in the pictures, so I was very grateful that we got to see a sunny Venice beforehand.

Bari was beautiful - probably high of 70-72.

Corfu was sunny and warm - high around 75.

Mykonos was somewhat stormy, and it drizzled for a bit. We could see lightening storms over the ocean. It was cloudy, but still a nice temperature, probably high 60's.

Athens was rainy/cloudy, probably high of 65, but still enjoyable.

Dubrovnik was beautiful. It was foggy when we arrived, but it quickly burned off. I actually felt the warmest here, especially when we were walking the city walls. I wasn't prepared in my boots and sweater. I should have been wearing shorts and a t-shirt! It was probably around 72-75 degrees.

At the end of the cruise, our cruise director said we really lucked out with the weather, which we were very thankful for. When we arrived back to Venice, it had been raining and city was flooded. My parents stayed the night there and wish they hadn't. From the pictures we saw, it looked like a nightmare trying to navigate the flooded streets with luggage. And it only got worse.

So, all in all, I would recommend traveling in early October. I think your chances of encountering rainy ports are a lot lower.

Hi!

Loved the review! We are thinking of doing this cruise but can't decide whether to go in early or mid October. What were the temps like in Venice and the Greek isles when you were there? Thanks!

Hi there,

Unfortunately there is not a basketball court aboard the Splendour, although there are a lot of other fun and exciting things to do, like the rock climbing wall, shuffleboard, and mini golf, just to name a few.

• 2 weeks later...

-Libby, we just booked the Splendour for June and have room 7064. Do you know if that is as big as yours was? Also an outside, but they don't give you much detail. Can you open the window at all? Also, did you get much noise from the elevator? Any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

-Libby, we just booked the Splendour for June and have room 7064. Do you know if that is as big as yours was? Also an outside, but they don't give you much detail. Can you open the window at all? Also, did you get much noise from the elevator? Any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

I was in 7068 I may be able to help,

You can not open the window.

No noise from the elevator, BUT, :eek: a lot of noise if something is going on in the Centrum :mad:

I go to bed around 10 and I would never take cabin 7062, 7064, 7066 or 7068 again.

Edited by Spring

• 2 weeks later...

Hi SF Cruiser,

You're in luck, room 7064, I believe, is as big as our room. I never saw it, but from the outside of the ship, you can see on the seventh deck that our room (7066) and the room next door (7064) are the only rooms with floor to ceiling windows for the whole expanse of the room, and both are equal widths. My sisters were in 7068 and they had floor to ceiling windows, but only for about half of the room, and it was a bit smaller - I hope that makes sense. Unfortunately I can't say for sure, but I'm pretty sure it looks just like our room.

The window does not open. As for the noise, we had no problem at all. I was worried about this too, but there is actually a wall between the rooms and the main walkway to the elevators, so no one is walking by your room unless they are going to one the four rooms (7068, 7066, 7064, or 7062). The only time that the music was playing in the Centrum late at night was for the 70's dance party, but the music turned off at midnight when the dance party was moved to the Viking Crown Lounge. Even still, it isn't that loud. The partition wall definitely helps.

You'll have a blast on the Splendour! Let me know if you have any other questions!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...