Meeting passengers on the MSC Magnifica 10th. May 2013

leopold cook

I agree, the best is to go take a look at the Roll Call for your Cruise here on CC. If there isn't one showing yet for your specific ship & specific sailing date, then create one here on CC. Basically a new posting where you put the ship and sailing date into the Title, and ask "Anyone else going on this cruise?"

Definitely a good idea to get to know your fellow cruisers on the Roll Call, and if someone arranges a Meet & Greet event then make a plan to go to that. It could be a pre-paid event (like a cocktail party) where you all arrange beforehand for one person to organize it. The other option is a Meet & Greet where you just go to the pre-arranged area and each person buys their own drinks at that time. Pre-paid cocktail parties require a little more logistics because someone has to collect the funds beforehand (that is how it works on Carnival), and then that person's onboard account gets charged for X number of attendees and you basically then have an open bar for 1 to 2 hours in a designated room/location. Of course you need good controls in place to ensure that the attendees are identifiable as "these are the people who paid to attend, and only they may be served drinks." Otherwise you will have moochers who come to drink for free!!!

Once the roll call is going then see if there are any people who are part of a group, and if they would be open to a single person joining their dinner table/group. You do that by giving them your booking number and name, and that person can then phone the cruise line and ask for your reservation to be linked to their group for dinner. It has no other impact other than you would then sit at their table for dinner each evening. I did that on a recent Carnival cruise, and the first evening I sat at the one table for the specific group, and the rest of the evenings I sat at their other group table. It was such fun to meet a group of people who were CC people, and yet also part of a group who had all been booked together. Most of them were my age + (40s - 70s), and we really had a fun time.

From there you can see who is going on similar excursions to those you would like to do. Either ship coordinated tours or private ones, just do the same process as for the dining room.

Good luck, and enjoy your cruise.

Archived