Avalon Angkor

jacalyker

Hi everyone. The info on this thread has been VERY helpful. My wife and I will be booking this trip today, traveling north. For those who have traveled this boat, which one of the upper deck cabins would you recommend? I noticed on the pics that the ship has structural cross members near the front. Are the middle or rear uppers better? Thanks in advance. We have a good choice. There's only one other cabin booked right now.

Didn't pick up any particular info on the upper deck cabins. However, we had the forward-most lower deck cabin and it not only had the structural cross bars but a couple of cement "stumps" you had to be careful not to bump into. Add to that tremendous noise from dropping anchor at all hours of the night.

Those two cabins really should be sold as obstructed (101 and 102).

Hi - Your reviews are great. We have booked the Avalon Angkor for Dec. 2013 and you've answered many of my questions. However, I would like advice on tipping, on the land tour guides, villages and cruise. Any suggestions for the most sought after gift for the children in the villages. I am assuming dinner on the Angkor is"business casual" or is it more casual? - or dressy??

We have also booked a 3 night 2 day junk on BaiTuLong Bay on our own, pre-tour and a small boutique hotel in Bangkok for a post-tour on our own.

We are so anticipating this river cruise. We will be on the Angkor for Christmas and will celebrate New Years in Laos!

As for crew and tour director, as I recall, guidelines were given. Those tips were charged directly to our onboard a/c's.

In the villages, Avalon has already made agreements and contributions that cover the visits. In fact, in the villages you are strongly told and reminded not to give any cash, especially to any of the kids who come out. At a couple of places they had their hands out but we were advised that they will not go to school if they think tourists will given them money instead.

For temple visits, Avalon makes donations. When we had the blessings or witnessed prayers or had a chance to talk directly to monks or novices, the tour director made it clear that he had a sizeable donation and presented the head monk with an envelope.;):)

There is one point where you take a pedicab and another where you have an oxen ride - for those they do tell you that you can offer a dollar or two. There are children that walk along the whole oxen ride interacting with you, singing, maybe giving you a drawing - some people gave a dollar to each of the 2 or 3 who accompanied their mother or father who drove the cart.

No tipping in any restaurants as that's already been covered. Those meals, by the way, are excellent and beautifully presented. Such places as "Hoi An" restaurant in Saigon, for example, are best in town.

As for the local guides, you will have one in Vietnam and 2 in Cambodia. They were all excellent and tips were left completely up to your discretion. Not only are they hard working and knowledgeable but will share with you their very personal stories, especially as you get into the Killing Fields and struggles in Cambodia. There is also a guide right at Angkor Wat, generally a historian, and most people tipped a small amount.

The only other thing I can think of is the orphanage children who come onboard to perform traditional dances. If you'd like, you can give a small donation to their cause.

As for "gifts," I did take a couple of frisbees along and we taught the kids to play. Also brought some small sz. samples of hand lotions for some of the women, especially if we made a purchase from them (such as at the silk village). I had a few things for the school kids and teacher (you will visit an after-school English class).

You are encouraged not to give them candy.

Also, if you single out one child to give him/her something, others will not like it. In one village one kid kept pointing to a lady's bejewled baseball cap and she ended up giving it to her after taking photos together. The other kids got jealous, so just use your judgment.

Dinner was casual - never a need for a sportsjacket and it's too hot anyway. People definitely spiffed up after soaking through tour clothes all day (3 showers a day were the norm). Wouldn't call it formal in any way though. There were men who brought LS dress shirts along & never wore them. But I also don't recall seeing anyone in shorts in the evening. I liked long flowy nice looking sundresses, for example, in the evening and my DH brought along some silk short sleeve shirts that you don't tuck in.

Hope that helps.:D

Dear Snorklin'Barb,

Thanks so much for your reply. Your information regarding tips and tour info and even to dress and showers;) was very helpful. Also your descriptions of the various tours. I am looking forward to our trip and thanks to you, will be packing light.

Hi - Your reviews are great. We have booked the Avalon Angkor for Dec. 2013 and you've answered many of my questions. However, I would like advice on tipping, on the land tour guides, villages and cruise. Any suggestions for the most sought after gift for the children in the villages. I am assuming dinner on the Angkor is"business casual" or is it more casual? - or dressy??

We have also booked a 3 night 2 day junk on BaiTuLong Bay on our own, pre-tour and a small boutique hotel in Bangkok for a post-tour on our own.

We are so anticipating this river cruise. We will be on the Angkor for Christmas and will celebrate New Years in Laos!

Sounds like quite a trip you've got planned! It will be a special holiday for sure.

We did a privately arranged land tour in Laos (not in conjunction with a cruise) and ended up spending our time in and around Luang Prubang. It was actually their New Year which is a time for "ruckus behavior" with people throwing, spraying or squirting water at each other along with painted faces with flour and charcoal. We had to make an effort not to get soaked at every turn.;):D

If you can, get up early for the procession of monks in town. It's a very interesting cultural experience. Let me know if you have any questions.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi everyone. The info on this thread has been VERY helpful. My wife and I will be booking this trip today, traveling north. For those who have traveled this boat, which one of the upper deck cabins would you recommend? I noticed on the pics that the ship has structural cross members near the front. Are the middle or rear uppers better? Thanks in advance. We have a good choice. There's only one other cabin booked right now.

Hello ChicagoNative,

I don't know about middle vs. rear uppers but one thing you might want to consider is port vs. starboard. For example, on the Ho Chi Minh City to Siem Reap route, we chose starboard and are super super glad we did.

Port side totally roasted in the afternoon sun and some guests said they just couldn't get their cabins cool enough (and the a/c was working well). Also people do tend to walk barefoot and the teak corridor outside the port cabins was too hot to do so. When you come back from excursions, the crew will whisk your shoes away for cleaning - so if you're not wearing socks (I was in Merrill sandal type walking shoes so no socks possible) it'd be a hot walk back to your cabin!

• 5 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Thanks for the detailed review. We're going in August, and I'd like some specific advice about clothing & shoes. Obviously light weight for touring. What about when at hotels; al casual ok? We bought waterproof shoes. Did you need them only on the river? Are sandals (like Teevas) ok, or will we get eaten alive by mosquitoes?

Thanks!