Lamanai Ruins via Princess?

DrSch

So in Belize, against my better judgement, I have booked a Princess tour to visit the ruins. Based on what I have read, there seems to be a big fear about making it back to the tenders in time there.

My past experience with shipboard tours, has not been the best. Very generic (which you would expect), somewhat dumb-ed down, overcrowded and more emphasis on rum-punch then on the actual sights being seen.

Has anyone been to Belize, and out to the Lamanai Mayan Ruins with or without Princess and what do you suggest, recommend?

If you were on the Princess trip, how full were the busses, boats, tours, and did you enjoy the trip?

there are only two or three companies that do the work on this tour. on cruise days you can expect full buses and full boats with a guide for each. You will see the same thing if booked thru cruise line or not. once at the site you will meet a tour guide for that portion.

Did it in april, but privately. Its a long long day, tiring and extremely hot and humid....but also very interesting and fun....bring lots of sunblock :).

They are very well aware of what time you need to get back and ensure you do. Nothing to worry about :)

Did it in april, but privately. Its a long long day, tiring and extremely hot and humid....but also very interesting and fun....bring lots of sunblock :).

They are very well aware of what time you need to get back and ensure you do. Nothing to worry about :)

Can I ask who you used, and would you recommend them?

Since you asked for opinions for Princess excursions or others, I would like to add mine.

We were on a Royal Caribbean cruise line sponsored tour to the Lamanai Mayan Ruins last year in December. It was hot, humid, and a long day. But it was well worth it!

Here is a link to my wife's pictures, in case you're interested. It includes pictures of the boat ride to the ruins plus the wildlife we saw on the way.

http://nancysoasis.com/belize/belize.html

Since you asked for opinions for Princess excursions or others, I would like to add mine.

We were on a Royal Caribbean cruise line sponsored tour to the Lamanai Mayan Ruins last year in December. It was hot, humid, and a long day. But it was well worth it!

Here is a link to my wife's pictures, in case you're interested. It includes pictures of the boat ride to the ruins plus the wildlife we saw on the way.

http://nancysoasis.com/belize/belize.html

Thanks for sharing! We are going on Liberty of the Seas next week and are trying to decide which ruins excursion to take while in Belize. Your wife's pictures are wonderful, and we're currently leaning in the direction of that same excursion!

BTW, I use that same lens with my Canon. Love it!

It has been a couple of years since we did the Lamanai ruins. We went through NCL at the time. This is the only time I have ever done a ship sponsored excursion (for all the reasons you list). However, it is a very full day with a lot of potential for mechanical failure (bus, boat) that is beyond the tourguides control. The ruins are amazing and it's an adventure to get to them that I would do again in a heartbeat. I just wasn't willing to accept the risk of not making it back to the ship and using a private tour company - especially traveling as a family of 5.

Can I ask who you used, and would you recommend them?

Sorry I took so long to reply :$...whoopsies.

Someone mentioned the place tho, Belize Cruise excursions (Island Marketing). Im sure you'll enjoy it. Just remember tho, its a LONG LONG tiring and humid day, but very well worth it.

Archived