Freedom Review: 10/28/12 by FunInTheSun1964

funinthesun1964

The next morning, we gathered our things, got dressed, and went to Lido for breakfast. It was crowded and it was difficult to find a table. I had to "stalk" someone until they vacated their table :p

Then went back to our cabin and we were ready to leave :-(

523504_10151235723103958_426069486_n.jpg

I found Jorge in the hall, and gave him some extra cashola for being so kind and attentive to us. Thank you Jorge, for your good service the week we were on the Freedom.

3042_10151235723533958_1237461934_n.jpg

We were done with Freedom - for this time.

We were told to meet in the Forward Show Theater at 8:15 for our excursion to the everglades. We were there on time.

Other people were also there; not all were doing the everglades tour though. Some were just waiting.

17124_10151235724228958_1780531043_n.jpg

We were given wristbands to show that we were with the tour, and we were told to exit at a certain time. After we exited the ship, there were people looking for our wristbands, who directed us to a bus. We waited on the bus for a while. Evidently, there were other people who were expected, but didn't show up. We left without them.

We had a lively announcer, pointing out things along the way. We were so glad that we had booked this tour, since our flight didn't leave out of FLL until around 3:00. We would have been so bored waiting at the airport all day!

It was a beautiful day. We enjoyed the ride.

548342_10151235724618958_1213773959_n.jpg

We arrived at our destination.

69713_10151235725418958_229113471_n.jpg

I, as well as many others, had to use the restroom facilities. I guess I had too much coffee :-). The line was crazy!!! Luckily, I was more toward the beginning of the line rather than the end!

525664_10151235725818958_1698075806_n.jpg

Time for our tour in the boat!

598952_10151235729788958_1928233758_n.jpg

Interesting sights along the way

523433_10151235730458958_1294314687_n.jpg

531096_10151235731643958_2111652768_n.jpg

There was a gift shop and a snack bar on the premises. I guess the snack bar takes a while to get you your food, but if you get really hungry the gift shop sells bag of chips, etc. We didn't have anything, we weren't hungry yet.

387669_10151235727463958_723635044_n.jpg

There were peacocks begging for food that anyone had, just like dogs, lol. They were happy to take extra tidbits from anyone.

46214_10151235726923958_944870107_n.jpg

548439_10151235755268958_1595508229_n.jpg

After the baby alligator, we had time to see the gift shop. We enjoyed sitting outside in the sunshine. Finally, we boarded our bus and were on our way.

We were really glad we did book this tour through Carnival. Not just because we wanted to kill some time before our flight, but also because we had never been and we thought it was very interesting. The scenery was beautiful. No worries about our luggage either -- they stored it for us in the luggage compartment on the outside of the bus.

Also a bonus, they drop you off right at FLL - so we were there by 1ish and had only a little more of a wait. DH and I split a sub and had a couple of pepsi's, and boarded our plane.

Then --- here we are coming in for our connecting flight in Atlanta

394141_10151235755558958_1639110219_n.jpg

Hello again. Great review. I think we are most likely going to do the Everglades tour especially after seeing your review. Our flight doesn't leave until 4:30, and I just don't want to sit in the airport all day. One question: when you left the ship to get on the bus, how was customs handled? Did they have a designated line for you all?

Thanks again.

Hello again. Great review. I think we are most likely going to do the Everglades tour especially after seeing your review. Our flight doesn't leave until 4:30, and I just don't want to sit in the airport all day. One question: when you left the ship to get on the bus, how was customs handled? Did they have a designated line for you all?

Thanks again.

Hi, thanks. Customs did not have a designated line just for us. But there was no wait at all, just breezed right through. It was simple. I think because we all waited in the theater together; then were released at the same time, we all ended up on the bus at the same time. It worked out fine.

Thanks again.

Oh, yeah and I would recommend the Everglades tour, if you have never been there. I think you would really like it! Lots of photo ops. I will look for your review when you return :)

Awwww I just got all teary eyed looking at your last pics of the boat. Funny enough, they started work on those stairs out on Lido deck while I was on the ship. Noisy as all get out. And I know some people are disappointed there's a DJ instead of a band on Lido, but I LOVED DJ Jessen...he was the sweetest!

*sigh*

Now I'm wishing we'd booked Freedom again for our cruise in April. Anyone know if you can transfer your deposit to a different cruise? LOL

I concur with the Everglades tour recommendations. I booked it through Carnival,because my flight was at 5:45 PM, it seemed like a great way to pass the time, and I liked the safety of a bus transfer. I figured: when else will get I get an opportunity to see the Everglades? Although I think I was at a different part of it than the reviewers; I didn't recognize any sights in the photos. The park was beautiful, the weather was great, and there were no mosquitoes at all.

One thing, though: since it was after debarkation and not a regular shore excursion, there was a noticeable change in atmosphere. There wasn't that "whoo-hoo, we're cruising" vibe, like I've felt in ports of call. But I enjoyed the tour just the same; it makes debarkation feel less sudden, since you're not heading straight to the airport.

Awwww I just got all teary eyed looking at your last pics of the boat. Funny enough, they started work on those stairs out on Lido deck while I was on the ship. Noisy as all get out. And I know some people are disappointed there's a DJ instead of a band on Lido, but I LOVED DJ Jessen...he was the sweetest!

*sigh*

Now I'm wishing we'd booked Freedom again for our cruise in April. Anyone know if you can transfer your deposit to a different cruise? LOL

LOL, yes you can...only thing is if you booked early saver you will lose $50. LOL. Don't worry, you can go on Freedom another time in the future!

I concur with the Everglades tour recommendations. I booked it through Carnival,because my flight was at 5:45 PM, it seemed like a great way to pass the time, and I liked the safety of a bus transfer. I figured: when else will get I get an opportunity to see the Everglades? Although I think I was at a different part of it than the reviewers; I didn't recognize any sights in the photos. The park was beautiful, the weather was great, and there were no mosquitoes at all.

One thing, though: since it was after debarkation and not a regular shore excursion, there was a noticeable change in atmosphere. There wasn't that "whoo-hoo, we're cruising" vibe, like I've felt in ports of call. But I enjoyed the tour just the same; it makes debarkation feel less sudden, since you're not heading straight to the airport.

Maybe you went to a different park? Hmmm..

We were lucky, the weather was great for us also. I never was bothered by mosquitos either.

Sounds like you had a great cruise!

We just got back from the 11/3 sailing of the Freedom -- different itinerary, but same ship. We LOVED the Freedom -- it is our favorite ship now and it was the best cruise experience we have had to date!

We are ready to go again.:D

Glad you had a great cruise!! We loved it too! SO much fun! :D

*sigh*

I don't know what the Dream is like but I was on the Carnival Legend last year at this time and went to those 3 of those ports and had a WONDERFUL time! Cozumel (all inclusive beach day), Belize (zip lining) and Roatan (rented our own driver and went to a school, orphanage and beaches) ... unless you've been there before I'm sure you'll have a great time!! You can always go back to the Freedom after April

So a final recap:

We had a great time! I loved the Freedom, and I would like to try to sail this ship another time in the future. I felt like it was run by management who knew what they were doing. I would rate this as one of my top TWO cruises that I have been with Carnival.

I will try to expand a little in each area.

Ship condition: I thought it was very nice. MDR was the nicest, IMO, of the ships we have been on. This was our 6th cruise on Carnival. I also thought it was very clean. Saw crew out cleaning constantly.

Employees: Very friendly. Saw them in the hallways, always said hello in passing.

Guest services: Used them twice, once when I Lost my S&S card, they were very friendly and efficient. Another time when I asked where I could find Funship Freddie :o They were right on it, and were helpful.

Shore excursion desk: Knowledgeable and friendly. We went there three times, once for booking a Jamaica excursion, another time for inquiring on the behind the scenes tour (we asked but didn't do since we didn't want to tie up so much time on last sea day - we'll leave this for another time), and the last time was booking the FL Everglades tour. Very Efficient.

Room Steward: Very friendly and nice. We asked for ice, as we didn't have any in the beginning, and never had to ask again. Didn't really see or talk to our assistant steward. Room was cleaned and had a towel animal every night except first night.

Dining Room employees: Also friendly, Anytime dining and we were seated right away. We were greeted warmly whether we entered for breakfast or dinner by the hostess and were shown to a table promptly.

MDR Service: Very good. Only twice did we have a wait for service, and that was for dessert. It wasn't a big deal for us, we weren't in a hurry (well, I was for the night I wanted to see FF) On our last cruise, we were so put off by the poor dining room service that we went to the buffet the rest of the cruise (it was easier). But, this cruise, we didn't go to buffet for dinner at all - and only twice for breakfast - once on Jamaica morning and once on the day we left.

Food: Better in MDR, fair lunch items. Mongolian is good, and I like Carnival burgers. All other is fair, that is what I had. MDR food is better, the desserts are the best IMO.

Ports: They were great, never been to KW, GC or Jamaica so it was great for us. Liked our excursions in Jamaica (plantation) and back in FL (Everglades).

Everything on the ship was well organized, IMO. The only thing I would bring up: DH likes bean bag toss, it was listed twice in the FUN TIMES so we showed up at the appropriate time and place, and no one showed. I didn't get that, but oh well. Not so terrible.

I like the live music. There is still some, but not much. When you enter the ship on embarkation day, there was a DJ, not live music. This was disappointing to me. Some night in the atrium lounge there was live music, though. Lido deck did not have the live music, either - all DJ. I think at least they should have live music on the sea days. This will not totally ruin my cruise or anything - it is just a little something that I missed.

Thanks for reading my review, will be happy to help answer questions to anyone who asks.

Happy cruising to all.

Brenda

I just love your review and it just has me even more excited! This will be my 4th on Carnival and first time on the Freedom. Now, this may seem like a silly question, but I would really like to know if they carry BudLight Platinum? It is definitely my drink of choice and it would just make the cruise that much better LOL. Do you happen to remember seeing it?

Archived