Booked on the Victory Again

ladyt

We went on our first cruise on May 8th sailing on the Victory. We had so much fun. Once home we decided to go on another cruise and after finding once that fell within our price range we decided to go with the Victory again but this time we booked a balcony. So we now will be looking forward to our May 7, 2006 sailing!!!!!

Ladyt,

Only 11 months to go. How can you wait so long. LOL Were looking at December when it's nice and cold in Jersey. And maybe again in January with a group we cruise with every other year. Once you have a balcony it will be real hard to go back. I can't wait till the last two of my boys move out of the house. Then I want to cruise at least 3 times a year!!!!Can't afford to bring them and can't trust them to stay home.

dsm711 our cruise was such a magical experience. I never thought that I would like it but what a wonderful surprise it was for us. Our oldest son, 17 will not be going with us, it will be his senior year and he doesn't want to miss anything. Our little guy (8) can't wait to go to camp carnival again.

Once our kids are out of the house we plan on going on as many cruises as we can afford.

Like you we had no idea what to expect on our first cruise. We arrived at the pier early (around 9:30am). My husband asked around and found out that we could give the porters our checked luggage (don't forget to tip them, they are the guys wearing the white hats). Then we went inside and to the front desk, which is where you need to sign your paperwork, and show idea for each person. They give you your sign and sail card. Then they directed us in a line which we stood in for at least an hour. At this time you put your carry on luggage through the xray machines and show them your sign and sail card and are then sent to another line to wait in. You then go up the escalator and sit and wait until you are told to form another line (this is when you get your picture taken) and then you wait yet again. Next you board the ship. I must say it was breathtaking for us. It was so big, I could not believe it.

Before we boarded the ship we were told that we could not go to our rooms until 1:30pm but we could go get something to eat on board. We followed everyone to DECK9 (Lido Deck) and went to the Buffet to enjoy a wonderful meal. When we were done eating we went to our room and were pleasantly surprised at the size (there were 4 of us in an inside cabin, there was plenty of room). We freshened up and went on our way to explore a bit.

Around 4:00pm you must do the safety drill which seems annoying to some, but they provide you with information that can save your life. I guess that took about a half hour or so. Once this was completed we took our lifevests back to our room and headed for the lido deck for some music and excitement. We did not go to the top deck area when the ship sailed away, but I wished we did.

I will continue this later...

We just started to walk around the ship and get familar with it. We chose the 2nd seating which was for 6:15. I thought this time was perfect. The dress was casual for the first night. I was very impressed with the presentation of the food, the service and the whole atmoshere of the dining room. The food was great (remember that if you want more just ask). After dinner we went to the Camp Carnival orientation. They give you some short forms to fill out and they introduce the staff. Later on in the evening they have a welcome aboard party for the kids. You play some games, dance and have fun!

What is wonderful about Carnival is that they offer the babysitting for the kids (from 10pm to 3am) for $6.00 per hour. We did use this service during our cruise. My son (8years old) loved Camp Carnival. He did not and I repeat did not want to spend time with us. All he wanted to do was hurry up and get back to Camp Carnival every day. He looked forward to going everyday and by the 3 day was eating his dinners with them. The staff was the best, all the women were excellent with the kids. I have to say that it was kinda nice to have some time alone without any of our kids.

Every evening your room steward will leave you a copy of the capers for the next day. Read this over. You will want to know what activities they have going on. Remember that it is up to you on how involved you want to be...you can lay around all day or you can go from 1 activity to another!!!

Since you cannot bring an iron on board the ship has a laundry room with iron on every floor. At times there is a wait to use the iron, washers and dryers. Downey wrinkle release works pretty good and so does a travel steamer. I had both but still opted to use the iron.

I will continue this later.

For the first formal night (which was Monday) I wore a gown. I thought that I might be too dressed up, but I wasn't. It was so nice to see all the beautiful dresses and suits. My older son (17) wore a suit and my younger son (8) wore black dress pants and dress shirt (no Jacket). My husband wore a black suit. The ship sets up photo areas, each having a different background. Stop and get your picture taken at all of them. It does not cost money to have the pictures taken, just to buy them. The pictures are displayed the following day. Our dinner choice was the lobster and my husband had 2 servings!! It was so good. We never stayed long enough in the dining room to see the show put on by the staff.

Cozumel was great. We got off the ship early and took a cab to Paradise Beach. The cab ride was $12.00. Paradise Beach is a few minute ride. You pass by several beach areas. When we got there they were not opened, but they let us use the chairs etc. The first thing I said when I saw the beach was WOW. It was that beautiful. The ocean was the prettiest shade of blue and was as calm as could be (just the type of beach I wanted). There was no trash, very clean. After a short while others showed up. Our waiter was great and kept a running tab for us. We hung out here for the day. Food, service, atmosphere everything was perfect. We will be coming back here next cruise.

Then we went to Carlos and Charley. This really is not a family place, but nothing too wild went on while we were there. I am quite sure this changes as the day/night goes on. We ate the BBQ Shrimp which we liked. My kids laughed non stop at what the waiters were doing.

By the time we got back to the ship (early by most standards 6:30pm) we were all exhausted. Swimming at Paradise Beach wore us out!!!! We laid down for a nap and did not wake up until Wed morning.

The days at sea we enjoyed ourselves at the pool, spending quite time together, listening to music etc. I have to admit I did not think that I would enjoy the days at sea but they were wonderful.

In Cozumel we went with Nativeway Ray, Reef, Rum Point excursion. You have to take a tender off the ship and the tender takes you to the pier. Once on the pier you look for the person holding a sign with the name of your tour group. Once everyone from our tour was accounted for we took a short walk and went on a van (they drive on the opposite side of the road). As you are driving you can see the destruction of the hurricane. Our driver was telling us that the area we were in was submerged in 9 feet of water. Once we got to the boat we boarded and off we went. You see some really beautiful homes as you are going out to sea. Our group consisted of 18 people and 2 crew members. Having never been on any kind of boat before I was a bit nervous about getting seasick. The water appeared to be very choppy. I was fine, but my youngest started to look strange, actually he looked drunk (which of course he wasn't). I guess the ride to the ray area took about 15 minutes, my son was a trooper, he did not get sick he just looked bad and did not feel too good. Once we reach the ray area everyone got on their masks and snorkel and jumped off the back of the boat. I was the last one (a bit nervous). I handed off my son to the crew who made sure my husband had him and then I jumped in. This is when I was just starring in total amazement. The water was beautiful (lots of waves, I wish it was calmer), it was warm but very salty. And then you see these huge things, the stingrays. We loved it. Once my son got in the water he was fine. This was an experience that I will remember forever!!! I will do this again!!!! We got to feed them and touch them.

Then we got back on the boat and within minutes we were at the snorkel point. I did not snorkel because my son was not feeling well again. My husband and older son had a blast. Then it was back on the boat to Rum Point Beach. They give you menus on the boat ride and have you choose what you want for lunch. By the time we get there our food and drink is waiting for us. This beach is so nice. There was really no one there but us. Talk about a dream come true!!

After a while it was time to go back on the boat. My younger son was feeling much better on the ride back (this took about 45minutes). We then went back on the van and back to the pier to get on the tender for the ship. We cut it pretty close time wise. The last tender was scheduled to leave at 3:15 and we made it back to the pier at 3:05. When we got there there was a huge line of cruisers waiting for the tenders. Make sure that you ask what line is for what ship. There were alot of people that were in the Victory line but found out that they should have been in another line.

More to come

Archived