Child Documentation - May be a Silly Question But...

custompcsys

I know this may sound silly, but I figured its better to ask after reading some of the threads about traveling with minors and the stories of all the documentation that is required. A group of 6 of us are traveling on the Diamond 7/16 to Alaska. One of the couples is bringing their 17 yr old daughter, so both parents will be traveling with her. They will all have passports showing the same last name and will have the document Princess provided in the pre-cruise package completed, indicating that both parents are with the child.

After reading the Cruise Answer Book, it seems to me that they have what they need documentation-wise, but can any parents that traveled with their kids on Princess recently just let me know if I'm right? We've had this trip booked for 11 months now and want things to go smoothly, so if they need something else I can let them know. Thanks!

We travelled on Princess in April with our 5 y.o. daughter. We filled out the appropriate documentation from Princess, had passports, etc. When we were checking in at the port, we were asked why we didn't have the Princess document notarized - our response was that it didn't need to be notarized as both parents are travelling with our child (as stated on the document itself).

Just make sure your friends read the travel document; it seems that Princess will err on the side of caution (not a bad thing where children are concerned).

Enjoy!!

Alice

Anytime you leave the country (even to Canada) if one parent is traveling alone with children they will need a notorized letter from the non-travelling parent that gives permission for the travelling parent to take the children out of the country.

The new passport process for children (and renewal process) has become stricter. The child and the parents have to be physically present at the passport office to obtain a paaport. And you have to provide proof of citizenship as well as proof of parenthood (names have to be on th child's original birth certificate - the one with the raised seal). If one parent cannot go to the office, addditional documantion along with a signed and notorized afadavit is required.

I was suprised at the process but the clerk at our local passport office told us of some horrific stories concerning kidnapped children being taken out of the country - so I guess it is worth it.

I certainly appreciate everyone's replies. I guess basically I was just making sure that if both parents are in fact cruising with the child that Princess would be satisfied with passports for both parents and the child showing the same last name and the "Minor Document" included with the pre-cruise package completed to show that both parents were traveling.

Certainly, erring on the side of caution when it comes to children is something I'm in favor of. Just wanted to be ready with additional documentation if it was needed, but it seemed to me that the passports and the document should be enough if both parents are traveling.

Thanks again, and happy cruising!

Just got back from two-week trip with my 7-year-old grandson (and my husband). We crossed into/out of Canada 3 times. All of us always carry passports. I was prepared with attorney's letter, notorized copies of everything! Was never asked for anything (i.e.parental permissions) - only showed passports.

So that form they send has to be filled out for every child even if both parents are going? My cousin got a form with her daughters name on it, but not the unrelated child going with them (the personalizer was messed up and had her listed as an adult, so they did not get sent the form). So Vickie was using the form with her daughters name on it for the other child and getting the notarized letter, etc. I guess I better check with her and see what she did for sure. I hope she made a copy of it if in fact the form has to be filled out for her daughter as well.

Yes, you're right...my understand from what I read in the Cruise Answer Book and the form itself that if its the child traveling with both parents you still need the form, but it just gets filled out indicating that both parents are traveling with the child and (according to the form) does not need to be notarized. They will need another one for the unrelated child, plus the notarized letter of permission to travel.

I'm sure Princess will send them another one if they need it :) Just give them a call.

Happy Cruising!

Just a quick question and I am sorry to seem repetive however we have booked a cruise for Sept on the Princess and I am wondering if there is a form that can be downloaded for notarizing. We are taking my 8 year old dauther whose last name is different than ours. Tracking down my ex husband to sign a form is like finding a needle in a haystack the size of Texas. Has anyone encountered the same problem? And if so what was the solution??? Any information would be greatly appreciated.:)

If both parents are along no extra special documentation.

However I just took my 2 Grandsons on a cruise so had to have a notarized letter from both sets of parents giving me permission to take the boys on the cruise with me - + of course either their passports (1 has & 1 doesn't) or birth certificates. I was never asked for the letter only theri passport & birth certificate. However Princess had reminded my TA to remind me to have the letters.

I have now taken them on 2 crusies 1 with Princess & 1 with Celebrity and both times I went and got notarized letters - so far have never even been asked if I have them much less having to produce the letters.

However I will continue to take the letters with me as I certainly would not want to be denied boarding because I did not have the letters.

Hi Mickadoo,

If you're going in September you might want to start working on this now. There was another thread out there for single parents traveling with a child (and of course now when I want to find it, I can't :confused: ). My understanding from Princess and the form they send is that if only 1 parent is traveling, you must have a notarized authorization from the other parent indicating that its ok for the child to travel. The other thread had some responses with people in similar situations as yours - the ex was nowhere to be found and couldn't (or wouldn't) sign. The bottom line is that Princess wants the authorization or you stand a good chance of being denied boarding. There were several suggestions regarding your situation, some of them outright illegal. The only one that made sense was that you need to contact your attorney if your ex cannot be located and get a court order allowing the child to travel. From what they said in the thread its not an uncommon thing.

I can tell you from my reading, however, that you stand a good chance of having Princess ask for the authorization, so it would pay to be ready!

I hope this helps and that everything works out!

Hi goblue,

Unless they are 18, you need it. The couple's daughter that is part of the group I'm with is 17, and Princess sent the minor traveler form so that it could be completed for her. All their information is quite clear about it being for anyone under 18.

Last year we took our 11 year old grandchild to the Southern Caribbean on Princess. We had 1 letter from the Mother and 1 letter from the Dad (giving permission) both notarized.

This year going to Alaska - we have the same information notarized by our attorney.

This year there is a "Parental Questionnaire" with our names on it (since we are accompanying the child). It requires both of our signatures. I called Princess and was told it is not necessary to have this form notarized. I will call Princess back on Saturday to verify this.

Since our documents were lost somewhere in transit - we just received the documents - the cruise is scheduled for 6/6/05.

A suggestion: Be sure that the letters signed by the parents match the names on the birth certificate - 1 of our grandchild's parents signed a brief form of his name (e.g.Bill for William). The letter was notarized by the attorney and Princess still questioned it. We had the notarized birth certificate and it all worked out OK - this year complete signature on each of the letters.

We also have the child's passport (signed by both parents) and that helped also.

Just for information - hopefully this will help another reader on the board.

Dotty

Hi goblue,

Unless they are 18, you need it. The couple's daughter that is part of the group I'm with is 17, and Princess sent the minor traveler form so that it could be completed for her. All their information is quite clear about it being for anyone under 18.

Thx for the info.

Hi Mickadoo,

If you're going in September you might want to start working on this now. There was another thread out there for single parents traveling with a child (and of course now when I want to find it, I can't :confused: ). My understanding from Princess and the form they send is that if only 1 parent is traveling, you must have a notarized authorization from the other parent indicating that its ok for the child to travel. The other thread had some responses with people in similar situations as yours - the ex was nowhere to be found and couldn't (or wouldn't) sign. The bottom line is that Princess wants the authorization or you stand a good chance of being denied boarding. There were several suggestions regarding your situation, some of them outright illegal. The only one that made sense was that you need to contact your attorney if your ex cannot be located and get a court order allowing the child to travel. From what they said in the thread its not an uncommon thing.

I can tell you from my reading, however, that you stand a good chance of having Princess ask for the authorization, so it would pay to be ready!

I hope this helps and that everything works out!

I think this is the thread this poster was referring to. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=183194 It's quite long and I haven't read much of it as it doesn't pertain to me (married/adult child).

Good luck in getting your paperwork in order for your cruise.

Wow, I never even thought about this. I traveled to Europe with my then 15-year-old daughter in 2002. My ex-husband did not go with us, and we had no documentation that said we had his permission. I assumed that because I was her mother, it was OK. No one asked for anything but passports, and we crossed several European borders! I am glad Princess is more cautious, now, for the safety of the children. I am also glad that she will be 18 by the time of our cruise next summer. Her father would probably refuse to sign any documents for me out of spite.

Archived